What content is on your radar?

My favorite content is the elk river coal and lumber co. Shay #19

The past few weeks we have asked what content people are working on. We’ve been very impressed by the quality of content and dedication creators are putting into their works but someone's masterpiece might not be someone else's cup of tea.

We would like to hear from our community on the content they would like to see in future Trainz products. Have your say, whether it's a certain type of locomotive, consist, prototypical route or a session that allows you to relive that beloved journey you once took across the USA, UK or wherever.

We want to hear what your ideal content would be for Trainz.

Please make this in Trainz a new era:
imagejpeg

Interesting thread...
Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland Railways would look great in a fully developed, improved T:ANE. The North Yorkshire Moors Railway, perhaps in the steam, pre-preservation era with detailed models of the LNER G5, A8, and D20 with improved LNER teaks and an assortment of ex-NER and ex-LNER coaches and wagons would be nice too. Finally, the scenic County Donegal Railway system in Northern Ireland would be a superb addition, and the huge amount of custom content available for this line would make it a realistic proposition as well. The CDR is one of my pet favourite lines too, so go on, bring it on!

I wish that older Content Creators would return to update their stuff or would release their stuff to be updated by third parties. (like prowler901)

But more than anything else I'd like to see ANL return to re-release and continue his awesome collection of Union Pacific heavy weight steam locomotives.

Last edited:
I always liked trains of Germany. It would be good to see the ICE reproduced in detail; as well as steam lokos from BR 01 and BR 52 series.

One issue that seems very difficult is that of German form signals and KS series signals. There were some attempts to improve them, but they still have problems. Without these signals and junctions devices, it can not be represented a typical German surroundings.

Happily, the German overhead lines can be represented in Tane through the assets of "Trainbernd" – a German creator - in detail and without problems. This is essential because most German routes are electrified.

Routes in southern Germany (eg Bavaria), may please many trainzers because of the variety of scenarios that you see in the tours.

As for Rolling Stock, several creators have submitted excellent assets for TS12 and previous versions. It would be good that this stuff were updated to Tane.

There are many non-rail assets, which are not well adapted to Tane. But they are important for the decoration of towns, cities and environment. They are very necessary for a good final effect.

This all is necessary to can make prototypical German routes.

For me the whole point of T:ANE would be to employ it's greatly improved (eventually) graphics capability to get more "suspension of disbelief" feeling on any and all routes submitted for T:ANE. This would mean:

As other have said, more animation of things that move in the real world, moving in as realistic a manner as possible - particularly people, animals, vehicles and flora.

The trackside experience should also move away from flat-looking 2D textures to more realistic 3D effects, including prototypical clutter, dirt and flora (moving).

Less (no) billboard trees (even the very good ones are too unreal close-up) and no crude flora splines (but I don't know how feasible it is to make more realistic flora splines, as it is with regular surfaces such as walls).

Some of this can already be done in TS12 but (assuming the GPU is up to it) a 64bit program with a lot of 3D functions built-in should be able to do better.

As to routes: I'd like to see UK routes of the steam era, including some that model real and now closed routes (such as the Stockton to Tebay and Tebay to Settle via Ingleton, which could be merged with The - preferably updated - Settle to Carlisle. I also like fantasy routes, such as the excellent Gladwys Dhu - preferably updated to include more 3D moving stuff as mentioned above.

Nor would I mind paying for individual routes if they meet a high standard for T:ANE and are reasonably priced. Freeware, though, is a wonderful concept from which authors hopefully receive payment in the non-monetary currency of pleasure-to create and pleasure-in-giving. :)

Lataxe

Burlington Northern merger era, 1970: Routes - Stevens Pass: Seattle to Wenatchee. Equipment: NP, CB&Q, GN, SP&S, etc. ALCO's: C424 and C636.

Regards,

Well,

it is pretty apparent there is a huge demand for content outside of North America. This suggests, to me, there is a huge lack or gap in content that other folks around the world like to see increase. I'm down with that, bring it on.

Paul

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway.

West Coast Mainline (south of Crewe if I had to choose) during the late 1960s so you could run steam through to BR blue era.

Great Central Railway including the Woodhead route set in the 1950s

It'd be easy to cherry pick my Railroad favorites..... But I don't think I really want N3V to focus on those, for a few reasons.

I think its easy to see here, that many want more Routes and Content. To that end I think I'd like to see a Better Wiki, or some kind of Guide of any description really, making it easier for people to break into the world of Content Creation. That is a HUGE part of this franchise, and yet I think many people here end up feeling lost and awash in all of the myriad bits of info spread here and around the web of unofficial information about how exactly one goes about making something. From Routes to Shacks and everything in between.

I think there would be alot less requests for more content if we had more content Creators..... Whether that content gets released as Freeware, 3rd Party Payware, or DLC...... This Franchise, by its very nature has the ability to turn out more content more quickly then any other, because every customer is a potential content creator. Why not encourage this in the most direct way we possibly can by giving people all the info they need to make content? Every new item will only attract more people....

And I agree that High Quality assets are becoming the name of this game. To which I can only reiterate the importance of having access to information about how to do so. Ideally this should be easy to navigate, preferably with optional step by step walk-through available, but /shrug. Even if you just started with something small, like a Shack, that would be an experience that people would be able to apply elsewhere, as long as the information was Complete and included how to Bump Map that shack if they wanted to, or LOD it. Other hobby Genre's call these things "Tuts", short for "Tutorials"..... Shane makes great Tutorials for Trainz Operational processes, but I don't believe hes asset creation Savvy.

After that, I could only ask for what I think is already coming anyway, more TANE improvements.

-Falcus

It'd be easy to cherry pick my Railroad favorites.....

After that, I could only ask for what I think is already coming anyway, more TANE improvements.

-Falcus
All very interesting but rather beside the point, which was what content is wanted. Whether that comes from each user directly or from the DLS via contributions by a few skilled creators is another question. To that point, expecting every user to be able to create content, even if they had all the tuts and tools is quite a stretch. One, not everyone is interested in the creation side even if the like the results. Two, even if they are interested, being able to is a big cliff to climb. I know, I've been climbing for more than 13 years and I'm still learning.

I would like to see more USA content, particularly passenger cars that you can ride in. More big city buildings and suburban homes or perhaps a subdivision block that is somewhat detailed, not every house exactly the same, which doesn't exist where I live. It would be nice if the buildings, rolling stock, etc. were weathered or old looking. In big cities around here almost nothing looks new. I know some like everything bright and shiny, to each his own, but in the interest of realism, lets have more weathered old looking stuff. By the way, my hats off to all those talented content makers of which I am not one. You guys come up with some amazing stuff and I'd like to take this moment to say thanks so much for your hard work and willingness to share with those of us who are content creative deficient. Thank You!

Well someone has to say it, first of all TANE has to be optimised so more than a handful of users can gain benefit from content created for it - even if N3V released the Gostivar to Ohrid line tomorrow complete with Feldbahn 2ft gauge loco and stock, my £25 would probably stay in my pocket unless it was also for TS12.

Assuming that happy day does arrive, although my interests cover railways worldwide there are many areas which still need to be tapped into. Yugoslavian narrow gauge aside, for Europe, we need some decent Scandinavian content, Norway in particular is full of spectacular scenery and, if you turn the clock back, a good variety of diesel and electric traction and passenger stock. Russia and China seem to have been forgotten when it comes to TANE - how about the Jingpeng Pass with those magnificent QJ steam locos hauling heavy coal through a stunning landscape? A section of the Trans-Siberian would also be different to the normal run of things. India also has much to offer the virtual railroader but apart from the superb DHR has seen little activity in terms of route or motive power.

My current project list (in TS12) is quite varied at present ranging from something in upstate New York, to Chiloe Island in South America and revival of the WC&PR in North Somerset - as well as dabbling with the Ohrid line. These routes are being built with a view to upgrading over to TANE as and when I regard it as being suitable and ready but primary work is of necessity at this time being done in TS12.

BCOL C44-9W's

I would really like to see some BCOL C44-9W's! I've been looking all over the Internet for one of those bad boys for TRAINZ and have had no luck. That would be something worth paying for:D

Back