Nomadic Train Travel - What next!

butler57

It seems it is not only Trainz folk that have an addiction or love of trains.
It is not unusual in Germany or other parts of Europe for young folk to spend days on a train as a form of holiday.

Although the young lady in the article (see attached website) has taken it a step further and moved into the train and a nomadic life.
Does this happen in your part of the world?

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/why-this-woman-lives-on-a-train/ar-BBm1nYW?ocid=spartandhp

It seems it is not only Trainz folk that have an addiction or love of trains.
It is not unusual in Germany or other parts of Europe for young folk to spend days on a train as a form of holiday.

Although the young lady in the article (see attached website) has taken it a step further and moved into the train and a nomadic life.
Does this happen in your part of the world?

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/why-this-woman-lives-on-a-train/ar-BBm1nYW?ocid=spartandhp

Sounds neat, actually. The European rail companies and tourist bureaus offer Tourist Euro Rail Passes for a good sum. I thought I would try one someday when I get some money, but that hasn't happened yet.

As far as doing this over here in the US, there's not too far that people could go. Our rail system is paltry compared to other places in the world. :(

John

Same problem in Australia - the cost alone to go from Sydney to Cairns in the north or Melbourne to Perth in the west or Adelaide to Darwin in the north - all these trips take days and you could fly to the USA or Europe for the same price. As for the suburban routes - well you would probably get mugged at night or day for that matter.

Thanks for posting a link to that article. It was a nice read :) .

The European rail companies and tourist bureaus offer Tourist Euro Rail Passes for a good sum. I thought I would try one someday when I get some money, but that hasn't happened yet.
Few things:

- Those rail passes are pretty popular for 2-3 week vacations. You can travel a large amount of countries by train (usually excluding the high-speed "reserved seats" trains), visiting a lot of cities, for a reasonable amount of money. Amount of countries depends on the "size" of the ticket you buy.

- If you ever end up doing that, John, let me know when you visit my flat country and I offer you a place to stay.

Back