How about a restaurant on rails?

oknotsen

Holder of a broom
Sure, we all have seen trains with a bar on board; those are even pretty common on longer stretches. And we all know you can eat dinner is those cross continental trains.

But how about a restaurant on rails where the destination is the same station as you got on? The train drives a route while you eat your dinner and that's it?
Meet Panorama Rail Restaurant.

image_ADmh_uitzichthaven.jpg

The Panorama Rail Restaurant is a historical train from the legendary Trans Europ Express (TEE) era which has been converted into a restaurant. The luxury TEE trains with First Class seats only were launched in 1957 and connected the Dutch port of Hoek van Holland with Milano and Genua. The famous Rheingold train operated the Rhine-Alp corridor on a daily basis. In 1962, domecars with a panorama cabin were introduced to offer passengers a spectacular view of the beautiful landscape en route. The domecar and other First Class dining cars now operate as the Panorama Rail Restaurant on a fixed schedule from Amsterdam Central Station toward Haarlem, Leiden, Den Haag (The Hague), Rotterdam, Gouda and Breukelen.
Not only the "dining" cars are old and "classic", so is the engine they use:
Foto-1200-570x350.jpg

A 65-year old engine of the "1200 class".

Dinner isn't cheap. You pay €125/person for First Class or €175/person for Panorama Class.

We have restaurant trains setup for dinner on rails experiences. These are usually run by local tourist or short line companies and some are quite successful. The same with the prices too. The meals are multi-course affairs with fancy wines and fancy food, all served by a dedicated wait staff.

John

But how about a restaurant on rails where the destination is the same station as you got on? The train drives a route while you eat your dinner and that's it?
Meet Panorama Rail Restaurant.
Thanks for the link. That sounds like something for my bucket list the next time I'm in the neighbourhood. I wonder if there is a preferred side to sit on for better views?

Years ago in Melbourne the street tramway system actually ran a tram restaurant and it travelled around the city. Not sure if it still exists!

West Somerset Railway also does dinners on special services. However best of all is the Somerset cream tea being giant like large scones with Butter, jam and cream with pot of tea or pint of Cider " ah cor,get a load of that".

Done a few of them :)
Bill

Last edited:
Saturday I had a day out at the GCR Loughborough including a 4 course meal on board the South Yorkshireman dining train, The ticket price included an all day rover ticket and the on board meal was simply superb. and all home cooked food. One other thing that was outstanding was the welcome given by all the staff on the railway. Some other customer orientated organisations could take a leaf out of the GCR book on how to train staff. It just happened to be my 60th birthday a few days before and this was my present from 'er indoors !

Back