610 and 1702 What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeygear

C/LTJG - Operations
I seem to nhave trouble locating the differences between the two, they look very similar since I last saw them.

I'm sorry, but:

bunny_pancake.jpg

Sorry, for the lack of info but 610 and 1702b are two 2-8-0s built for the us army in the 1940's and/or 50's. 610 is owned by the tennessee valley railroad museum. And 1702 is owned by the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad.

Well, if they were built at the same time, for the same railroad, by the same builder, in the same locomotive order, with the same wheel arrangement, then there is every chance that they are, in fact, identical.

610 and 1702 are both USATC S160 class 2-8-0s. 1702 was built in 1942, 610 was built in 1952. Because it was built at a different time, 610 has some modifications to the design, such as larger cylinders and smaller drivers. When comparing as built photos of each it would be hard to tell them apart.
Since they were built, they have been modified in appearance. 1702 has its headlight in the center of the smokebox front with the bell hanging above it. 610 also has a centered headlight, but the bell is located on the fireman's side below the pilot deck. 610's air compressor is located on the fireman's side at roughly the midpoint of the locomotive, while 1702's is located behind a shield on the pilot deck. TVRM rebuilt 610 with a new cab around 1990. At the same time, the single dome was split into a steam and sand dome. 1702 doesn't have either of those changes.

Cheers,
Ben

Thank you bdaneal for that info, you see I tryng to get a S160 loco in cass to be moved to the west virginia railroad for restoration and I was curious as to why these locos look different.

oh
i thought you guys were speaking about LV PA1 610, and FGLK GP9 1702.
hehe,
sorry.
Cheers,
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back