AI Ignoring Track Direction Markers

Ken_S

I'm having this problem with the AI basically ignoring track direction markers and doing whatever it wants. It is causing some major traffic problems as the route I'm having this happen on features what can easily be described as the most congested section of railroad in the Northeastern US.

I'm having this problem with the AI basically ignoring track direction markers and doing whatever it wants. It is causing some major traffic problems as the route I'm having this happen on features what can easily be described as the most congested section of railroad in the Northeastern US.

I had a similar problem, but I found that I had laid my tracks in the reverse direction. Once I relaid that section of track in the direction of travel plus added fresh direction markers, the problem went away.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

The direction you lay the track has no effect other than the default side that track side objects appear and the direction trackmarks and direction markers point. If they are the wrong side or way, use the rotate tool to move them to the correct side of the track or have the direction markers point in the corect direction (pointed end towards the way you want the trains to travel).

It sometimes does matter the direction of track is laid, in a problematic area, just for good cause, I always lay track in the intended flow direction ... no exceptions, on my routes

It sometimes does matter the direction of track is laid, in a problematic area, just for good cause, I always lay track in the intended flow direction ... no exceptions, on my routes

Playing devils advocat: On a single track part of the route which is the correct direction to start laying?

On a single track the direction of track would be laid all in one direction, heading away from the mainline connection, except at passing sidings, and in turnouts.

If the urban legend is false ... why are Trainz blowing through the wrong tracks, in the wrong direction, disregarding direction markers ?

Last edited:
As has been mentioned before, the direction of track does not affect AI driving, but does indeed affect the placement of trackside objects. I have,also found that putting the track down in the intended direction of travel does help with junctions and curves as the track tends not to curve and bend oddly in those places when straightened.

When the track work is extremely complex, I have found fewer track markers as being the better solution along with placing them before, middle, and after complex junctions. The before mark gets the AI into position while the middle gets them into the middle of the route, and the exit gets them out of the route while anything more than that makes them extremely confused and prone to SPAD'ding as they speed up and slow down as they load up the track markers.

The trick with directional markers is to place them in between xovers were the junctions are closed to theyre placement and remember when the junction opens the continueing line is gonna auto lock in that track to that directional facing....so its much better to use track markers if that may be the issue your experiencing....

The trick with directional markers is to place them in between xovers were the junctions are closed to theyre placement and remember when the junction opens the continueing line is gonna auto lock in that track to that directional facing....so its much better to use track markers if that may be the issue your experiencing....

Yup. It doesn't give the AI an excuse to seek out any shortcuts! :)

Make sure your track work is connected. I just had a loco refuse to obey a track mark so I drove it myself and when I got to a road crossing I had a derailment. Never saw the bad connection so I guess the AI was smarter than me this time. Good luck.

mmmm... don't jump on me for asking... Have you got the track direction markers pointing in the direction of normal flow?.

In most cases you only need one these at the start of (entry to) a length track that may allow a train to travel in the wrong direction.

As John suggests when using "drive to" or "navigate to" driver commands the game will choose the shortest route which may mean train will try to travel on the inside track of curves because it's marginally shorter than the next track towards the outside of the curve. You can use direction markers to remedy this or use a driver command that imitates the "drive" command in the menu. Check the list of available commands..

If there are two oncoming tracks, both with trackmarkers pointed towards a train, blocking it's path, AI will take the shortest path it decides on ... check further down the line, as there is probably a track directional marker pointing towards the train

It's doing this behavior (among other misbehaviors) again. Why does it do this?

Could you upload a screen shot of the area where you are having difficulties along with a simple line-drawn track plan too?

We'll hopefully be able to assist you better.

To upload an image to the forums, use a web-host such as www.hostthenpost.org . Upload the picture there, when done uploading, pick the code for forums. Copy and past that here.

The route I'm working with still has a train that does this despite placing signals and track direction markers telling it which way to go. The train makes the station stop like normal then instead of going forward to the next station, it changes direction and sits where it is causing traffic chaos. I'm at the end of my nerves with this train's behavior and really don't know what to do anymore outside of deleting the offending train or rendering the station useless as a midpoint terminal.

Have you tried placing an invisible signal behind the train (facing backwards) and a direction arrow behind that?
Cheers,
Mike

There is also the Route Via Trackmark command which routes a train through a trackmark at speed instead of stopping. You could add trackmarks in the sections of track you need to the trains to operate on and route them via the trackmarks.

I noticed a long time ago the AI tries to take the shortest route to it's destination. This should be changed and it also causes some major problems in the end for operators. The AI should try to take the MOST LOGICAL route to it's destination, not the fastest.

Back