T:ANE - not buying it

Since you do not even run T:ANE, and have not even tried T:ANE ... You have no voice in the matter of whether T:ANE works, or not ... You are relying on OPHS (OtherPeoplesHereSay).
There are literally many dozens of reviews and comments spread across the internet and freely available to anyone with an internet connection.
It is not necessary to buy TANE in order to appreciate that a vast number of people are, at this time, dissatisfied with the product.
In this day and age anyone thinking of buying any software - game or application - has the greatest reference resource ever available. They don't have to buy in order to get an idea of what it is like.

By-the-way, the word is "hearsay", not "heresay".

Whilst I've encountered a few bugs in T:ANE, most of the ones I've encountered are due to be fixed in either Hotfix 2 (due within the next week or two according to N3V) or Service Pack 1 (unknown release date).

Unfortunately, one cannot always rely on reviews posted about T:ANE, as some users who post said reviews may have a vengeance/vendetta against the company behind it or even not have the required hardware to actually run it properly. In some cases, it's even people who don't even have T:ANE who have posted reviews based on what others have said which may not even be accurate.

The other thing I've noticed with some reviews is that they appear to be from users who don't appear to have even installed either the day 1 patch or even Hotfix 1. How can one give an accurate review if their version is not up to date (both on the game side and on the content side, since content creators do release updates to their content when they can)?

Shane

Last edited:
Alberte, the voice of wisdom :D. I wholeheartedly agree with his statements. I'm a veteran of the three great Succession Wars (UTC-2004, 2004-2006 and 2006-2010 :D).

So far, T:ANE looks very much like TS2009 did: many promising features... and at least one bug for each one of them. At that time, I went back to TRS2006, then TS2010 was released, and I still use it a lot.

I was one of the very first Kickstarter backers and I do not regret funding the development of T:ANE. My current rig can't run it because of its video card that does not support DX11, but I look forward to its development.

Hi everybody.
The big difference between the launch of all other versions of Trainz and T:ane, is the fact that N3V took a large amount of money in advance through Kickstarter with all the hype that went with that to maximize the revenue.

Many forum members gave generously and stated they stretched their credit cards to there limits for the betterment of their hobby. No wonder then there was and still is great disappointment among so many members when N3V delivered what even the the most fervent T:ane supporters acknowledge is an aplication needing much bug sorting and further development.

Of coarse their are those of us who where not taken in by all the hype and still have not purchased this version and will not until at least some of the statements in regard to just how awesome this version was going to be are met.

Bill

You don't buy a poor product out of some misplaced sense of loyalty to support the company that got it wrong in the first place. Naivety at its worst. As I've said before, N3V is not a charity, it's a commercial organisation which took considerable money via Kickstarter and pre-sales to deliver something that has turned into rather less than was hoped for, disappointment is perhaps the most diplomatic (and CoC friendly) word I can use. I would certainly recommend holding off and waiting to see what release of the forthcoming hotfix and patch might bring, before parting with hard earned cash.

@Shane Turner12

Unfortunately, one cannot always rely on reviews posted about T:ANE

By the same token one cannot always rely/trust reviews about Tane from the fanbois and people with a vested interest in the game.

as some users who post said reviews may have a vengeance/vendetta against the company

Really ? Vengeance / Vendetta ?

There are more than enough Negative Reviews (no longer available on this forum since their removal) around the internet from people who have no idea who N3V are. And Saying that everything in the garden is/or will be rosy does not mean it is or will be .
As has been stated, there are more than enough reviews for people to make an informed judgement, putting these people in the category’s that you have just proves to us all that people will say anything to defend the indefensible.
If and when Tane gets fixed, I will be one of the first to say so, and will provide a proper video as proof, but at this moment in time The OP should not part with any money IMHO.

Peace

I've seen evidence elsewhere of people who seem to have it in for N3V (ex-users of this forum), although people probably don't realise it.

Also, I would be interested to see how many negative reviews are from users with systems that don't meet the requirements (it's higher than none).

All I will say is wait for the upcoming patches and make a decision then.

Also, if you are referring to me as a fanboi, then you couldn't be further from the truth. I know there are issues with the game, but unlike some here, I'm keen on helping to get the issues fixed rather than posting negative reviews that don't help get issues fixed.

Shane

..........And that's why I've been sticking with TRS2010 and TRS12. I've tried T:ANE, and in my opinion, it's way too detailed. I mean my computer runs it just fine, it just didn't impress me as much as TRS12 and 2010. So I uninstalled it some time ago.

In my opinion, I like detailed stuff. For some reason TS12/2010 is just right for me. I mean it's not SUPER detailed like T:ANE, and it's not unrealistic and lower quality like Trainz 2004/older. It's just right I guess. Maybe whenever the next patch for T:ANE comes out, I might re-install it and give it a few more chances. It might be hard for some to understand, but that's just my opinion.
Actually, I think I'm starting to change my mind here.

I've seen evidence elsewhere of people who seem to have it in for N3V (ex-users of this forum), although people probably don't realise it.

Also, I would be interested to see how many negative reviews are from users with systems that don't meet the requirements (it's higher than none).

All I will say is wait for the upcoming patches and make a decision then.

Also, if you are referring to me as a fanboi, then you couldn't be further from the truth. I know there are issues with the game, but unlike some here, I'm keen on helping to get the issues fixed rather than posting negative reviews that don't help get issues fixed.

Shane

How many people have a system that meets the stated minimum requirements? How many people have a system that meets the top four tiers with an nVidia card and an i7? Yes I understand that some people are happy with slower machine but I think the problem has been that people's expectations have not been met. They expect to be able to run the software on their existing hardware and even on the hardware that N3V are saying will work often what is happening what they see is not thought they'd like to see and I think that's a legitimate reason for giving the product a poor review which is to protect other people from purchasing. If you notice if you read through the reviews are what you'll find in general is that they say things like an you needed a high-end machine for this software which I think is legitimate.

How valuable are reviews? Newegg.com recommends products that have lots of favourable reviews. I use them to guide my decision making when purchasing. Are they totally reliable? Not always but sites such as Amazon do rate the reviewers. Are they updated when a hot fix comes out? Probably not but they are dated. I must confess I don’t think TANE is in a state where it is suitable to recommend purchasing it at the moment. Yes N3V would like everyone to rave about it but I feel I’m being pushed into something that still has lots of undocumented features. Hopefully it will be somewhat more stable and marketable for next Christmas.

If you have a nVidia card that’s in the top four tiers at tomshardware.com it’s a cheap enough purchase to try and see if you like it. It does run more smoothly than TS12 on the same hardware but there are a number of undocumented features still for existing layouts. If you have the top of the line Intel integrated graphics and don’t mind not having shadows and set the sliders down a bit I’m told it runs fine.

Cheerio John

I can see where you are coming from John but as I've said, simply posting negative reviews doesn't help when it comes to getting problems fixed - one reason why N3V have their new Google Docs based Trainz Issues system. If users have a system that meets the requirements then it would indicate a game problem, but not for those whose systems don't meet the bare minimum requirements (such as those with a graphics card that doesn't support DirectX 11 for example, which would be the fault of the user for not reading the system requirements prior to purchase).

I usually take reviews with a pinch of salt myself lately, as sometimes reviews can be 'bought' at some of the less reputable review sites.

Shane

I usually take reviews with a pinch of salt myself lately, as sometimes reviews can be 'bought' at some of the less reputable review sites.Shane

That is quite the assertion... Please do post your proof of this and which sites do this so the community can avoid such sites.

Interesting... that could explain the 2 verified purchase reviews on Amazon.

I happen to know that on STEAM you have to purchase the software before you are allowed to leave a review there. So if you didn't buy it thru STEAM, you can't review it.

Interesting... that could explain the 2 verified purchase reviews on Amazon.

I happen to know that on STEAM you have to purchase the software before you are allowed to leave a review there. So if you didn't buy it thru STEAM, you can't review it.

Verified purchase reviews are different. Sometimes, it's a case of the user who wrote the review not being familiar on what is involved. As for Steam, there was a thread about that a while ago so it doesn't need re-hashing.

Shane

.... simply posting negative reviews doesn't help when it comes to getting problems fixed - .....
I don't think that you - and many others - understand from whence we come with our "negativity": the problems shouldn't be there in the first place and most definitely not in the abundance that we have seen with the release of TANE.

This mentality, that appears to have become a core value with N3V over the years, of "Let's shove it out the door in an incomplete and dodgy state and we'll try and fix the problems on the fly!", is unacceptable and that is one of the reasons for the reaction of the masses.

The attitude of "close enough is good enough" is the same as that for the manufacture and supply of consumer goods in the Soviet Union in the 1960s.

Indeed. People buy the software, they get to post a review whether others agree with them or not..

The bad thing about the internet is once a comment is there, its forever.

I truly can not believe that the people there were paid to post negative reviews. I don't think anyone has that much money to do such a silly thing, and to assert so would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Trouble is if N3V had said hang on folks it's going to take another year to get right, there would have been just as big a moan fest on here about it being late as there is about the problems affecting some at present.
People were complaining loudly when it wasn't ready for last Christmas and we got the CE edition instead......... enough said on that!
N3V got themselves in a no win situation, dammed if they do dammed if you don't.

From my involvement in testing other games a while back now, software creators invariably get it wrong, not one game I tested made it for release date, worst were 12 months late, however they didn't have a bunch of angry Kickstarter punters chasing after them with a hangmans noose. :hehe:

Afraid the attempts to pacify the angry mob however well intentioned have so far not born forth much if any fruit, the hotfix and service pack may go some way to improving things, one can but hope.

Back