T:ANE - not buying it

just bought Tane 2 hours ago, and i regret it.
it's worse than TS12, and that i don't understand.

and not even amazed with the "new" graphic engine

waste of money IMO

A good screen recorder won't hit your framerate too hard. I've been using ScreenFlow (Mac only, $100) for all of my recordings and my framerate has little to no drops in any game (0-5 fps drop). Even when recording on the Mac side and going into my Windows 7 virtual machine I still get the framerate I would have without recording.

The difference between 30 & 60 fps is huge.

All YouTube videos I watch on my computer on my trusty old Firefox v28 run at 30fps.
Comparatively, if I watch the same video (of course, these would have to be uploaded at 60fps after YouTube started allowing this) on my iPad-Mini with the YouTube app, the framerate will be 60 (if applicable). The difference? The iPad video is much more fluid and smoother. It is much nicer to watch or play in 60fps than 30. 30 can be quite choppy compared to 60fps.

Cheers,
SM

This is probably due to built-in hardware specifically for video processing, and that's why the new hardware driven solutions by NVidia on the PC, for example are much better than a strictly software one such as FRAPS, although the old FRAPS does a fairly decent job. All of this is due to how the hardware data compression works on the video card instead of having to do the software data compression by using the CPU and memory for both the playback as well as the for recording. This hardware also has a much faster internal buss compared to the rest of the computer hardware as well as dedicated memory, DMA, and a much faster ALU and math-specific registers, which are not found in the CPUs.

It's not that this hardware wasn't available to the PC side of the market, it just took someone with some marketing to realize there was a need for it in the gaming realm. Many years ago I worked for a multimedia consulting company which created training programs. We had an Fast AG video recorder, which was able to write video in real time to hard drives as well as output to linear tape simultaneously. The system way back then, and we're talking 25 years ago now, cost $30,000 including the two linear tape decks, audio equipment, special encoding/decoding card, and the RAID.

With the wide variation in user experiences with T:ANE, it should be incumbent for people to state their hardware specs along with the in game settings whenever lemons or laurels are being handed out. Otherwise the statements are rather meaningless by themselves.

One single number that may or may not still be relevant was the Windows Experience that the system would calculate based on a multitude of factors. My main game box has a WE of 7.4 whereas my test box only 5.9 yet even that can do 30 to 50 FPS in Warwick - Wallangarra, end to end depending on the scenery. In both cases, the primary harddisk pulled the numbers down but since in each box, T:ANE is on a secondary drive, the values without the primary drive are 7.8 and 7.4, respectively. You can still see the WE in Win 10 if you open a command window click the Windows key + R and then type
shell:games
The WE value appears in the bottom right of the new window.

A good screen recorder won't hit your framerate too hard. I've been using ScreenFlow (Mac only, $100) for all of my recordings and my framerate has little to no drops in any game (0-5 fps drop). Even when recording on the Mac side and going into my Windows 7 virtual machine I still get the framerate I would have without recording.

The difference between 30 & 60 fps is huge.

All YouTube videos I watch on my computer on my trusty old Firefox v28 run at 30fps.
Comparatively, if I watch the same video (of course, these would have to be uploaded at 60fps after YouTube started allowing this) on my iPad-Mini with the YouTube app, the framerate will be 60 (if applicable). The difference? The iPad video is much more fluid and smoother. It is much nicer to watch or play in 60fps than 30. 30 can be quite choppy compared to 60fps.

Cheers,
SM

That's worth knowing SM. I've found that the most problematic one for video recording with Trainz lately for me seems to be Bandicam although FRAPS seems to behave similar as I've encountered crashes whilst using the tool to record Trainz which I've put down to the programs fighting for the same resources.

4 hours after i purchased it, 3 hours after it was installed, it get quickly uninstalled, WGOTY

Would you like to elaborate a bit on what caused you to uninstall it, what issues you had? Perhaps people here could help you figure out the problems.

and T:ANE probably will improve even more in 2016 ... don't wanna' wait for the SP's to come out ? Then stop playing it !

But, some of us can't play it NOW, I bought it LAST YEAR and you can only say it's probable, not, definately, that we will have an improved game NEXT YEAR, why should I bother waiting any longer, it's now September 2015, what GUARANTEE is there?

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:
At least it is an improvement, and T:ANE probably will improve even more in 2016 ... don't wanna' wait for the SP's to come out ? Then stop playing it !

Perhaps then we should have paid for the game not in the full cash price but held back an amount for when the game "matured".

I too decided to bite the bullet last night and bought the game. I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed in the product.
My system works ok and runs smoothly with sliders turned back. I was trying to run a session in cab mode and it kept flashing back to dc mode which became irritating.
I also had it crash to desktop a couple of times. As for the graphics I didn't see much improvement on TS12.
The good thing though was no validations...guess that might come as assets are loaded.
On the plus side I like the idea of just a few routes to be good. It has always been a gripe with me, the amount of assets we get piled into the builtins that will never be used. It is much better to have a small amount that is required by the game to operate, then add what we want. so one thumbs up for N3v.
Overall I am happy to sit back now and wait for some improvements to be made before I get too involved.
With the new system it will take a while to get used to it all, feel like a newbie, when I got my first 1.3 version. Guess this old dog will need to learn a few new tricks.
I think N3v have missed the mark with the gamers though. They want a game that works straight out of the box, and wont be willing to spend any time trying to sort out the problems. They will just turf it out and not return.
Cheers,
Mike

They said that about 2006 - 2010 & TS12, they never finished putting right the faults in any of those, what makes you think Tane will be any different????

I think that just about says it all. 2004 was good for its time, but after that no version ever got finished. I used to love Trainz when I could build myself a good layout or ten, and then just operate them. Now it's for the geeks who revel in fiddling about with technical issues. Have fun.

Whenever I visited friends with physical layouts, one thing that stood out was that they were almost never finished except for the smallest routes. They were always under the table fiddling with another set of wires, planting trees and shrubs, building backgrounds and generally having a ball. There was usually at least one loop track to show their latest locomotive in action but the scenery was always in some stage of construction. When I asked, they were in it for the joy of getting in and building it all. If they wanted something straight out of the box to just drive around, those Christmas toy train sets would do jut fine.

So it is with Trainz. You're the chef cook and bottle washer, head engineer and the guy at the end of the shovel. You do it all, building your world and even the parts for your world if you're so inclined and have the talent. Otherwise you have to wait for someone else to make and share it.

I see T:ANE as the next step in this tradition. It's just out of the stall and still being refined. The betas are already looking very much better as lots of pesky bugs are swatted.

Did they do everything right from the start of this new era ... no? Some self inflicted wounds, some external circumstances and other just bad luck. Whatever ... those are all could have beens. I like to look forward and see what's next rather than bemoaning what happened.

Back