F7 woe's

bnsfc

Steam Nut
I have TANE and cant seem to get the F7's in the freeware section to work. the main error in CM is "- Image file 'mesh_art/mesh_art_icon.tga' is incorrectly used as both a texture.txt source file and a raw image file." As a person who has 0

knowledge of how any of this works, I don't know if there is something I can do or not.

Hello bnsfc

All you need to do is open the offending asset's config.txt and manually change the text .tga to .texture, save and commit/submit edits and you should be all set.
After a year using Trainz I am still very much a beginner but as a TS2 Mac Trainzer, I have learned how to fix some errors for TS10 and TS12 content like this one.

Best Regards and Happy Trainzing
--Owen

Hello bnsfc

All you need to do is open the offending asset's config.txt and manually change the text .tga to .texture, save and commit/submit edits and you should be all set.
After a year using Trainz I am still very much a beginner but as a TS2 Mac Trainzer, I have learned how to fix some errors for TS10 and TS12 content like this one.

--Owen

So I tried this, it did not go well. From the looks of the error log that broke the hole locomotive.

For those who are brave, here's the error log.

EDIT: I cant actually do that as it has too many character's to fit in a post. I could put it in 2 post's if someone wants me too.

As was mentioned earlier, the best option is really just to remove everything in the thumbnails category. Configs are finicky and don't like working like you want them to. While you can change .tga to .texture, I've noticed items tend to break down again after submitting.
If you just slice out everything in thumbnails, you'll be left with:
thumbnails
{
}

The only downside is the asset will not have a thumbnail, but it usually doesn't matter much at all.
It's the easiest and quickest solution.

Cheers,
SM

I figured out that whenever you change something between the quotes, it makes a different type of quote on the end, which will cause it to go to the end of the next entry. Therefore, you must copy and paste a quote from an un edited line.

I figured out that whenever you change something between the quotes, it makes a different type of quote on the end, which will cause it to go to the end of the next entry. Therefore, you must copy and paste a quote from an un edited line.

That indicates that you are using the incorrect text editor. You need to use an editor that does not make these sorts of changes to what you type.

@ bnsfc

There is no way that the fix as I explained it "broke your whole locomotive."
I am very sorry that what you tried did not work out and that the loco went SNAFU; if you make sure to only change .tga to .texture and make certain no other punctuation or spacing has been altered this fix will work, every time. As MeowRailroad has pointed out, care must be taken when changing config.txt text and you need to make sure that nothing else has been changed. Copying and pasting .texture where the .tga is located may help with this.

If you need to you can either a) use your text editing app and your operating system and try to revert to an earlier version of the F7 config.txt (i.e. the first or original version of the F7s config.txt) or b) simply delete the F7 altogether and reinstall it. All is not lost, do not give up hope! :)

Or after restoring you can just do what others here are suggesting (which is simpler, I suppose) and just delete the thumbnails; although with this approach you will still need to take care in making sure no spacing has been altered and that no intentional characters/text has been added to the config.txt.

Best of luck! You can do it!

@ BuilderBob

What MeowRailroad has described is the normal use of the Mac OS X's TextEdit application; it is the default option for Mac users.
For what it is worth, it is the de facto text editor for use with Trainz for Mac users.
I don't know of another available or one that is better or more correct; it is certainly preferable -- albeit with the above described auto editing quirks -- to using a full blown word processor.

Last edited:
I just down loaded the Great Northern and Southern PacificF7A and B sets into T:ANE. I had to download missing dependency "QR2100", it is obsolete but I guess it worked as I had no problem with either set in T:ANE. I made no modifications to the config. file.
I would delete the problem locos and install them again. Check them for missing dependencies and I assume you will find "QR2100 is missing, just download it and you should be good. It worked for me.

Regards,

I had that problem with qr2100 missing, and it was not in my T:ane install already, but showed on the dls. I would not download at all. I had to install a previous version of Trainz and copy it over from there.

What MeowRailroad has described is the normal use of the Mac OS X's TextEdit application; it is the default option for Mac users.

TextEdit can be used, but you have to turn off substitutions (somewhere in options). This probably makes it unsuitable for other editing. A better solution is to use a better text editor, such as SmartWrangler which still has the option ("Use Typographer’s Quotes") but it is turned off by default).

The problem of using the wrong text editor is not restricted to MAC.

TextEdit can be used, but you have to turn off substitutions (somewhere in options). This probably makes it unsuitable for other editing. A better solution is to use a better text editor, such as SmartWrangler which still has the option ("Use Typographer’s Quotes") but it is turned off by default).

The problem of using the wrong text editor is not restricted to MAC.

@ BuilderBob

Thank you for suggesting another text editor; I was aware of the ability to turn off auto corrections but use TextEdit enough when/where that function is useful (i.e. I'm a decent speller but not very good at typing) to keep it on. Using your post as guide I found a freeware Mac app called TextWrangler and it certainly looks like a promising text editor. I've downloaded it and skimmed the user manual but haven't yet tried it out (just downloaded this am).

I've actually gotten fairly used to compensating for TextEdit's shortcomings and autocorrect tendencies; however, maybe it is time to try something new and easier/faster for editing config.txts that can be dedicated for use with Trainz/TS2 Mac.

For anyone else interested here is the link http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Thanks again for the info / suggestion!

Sure hope bnsfc has gotten everything worked out! :)

--Owen

Back