Bring back the Forum Chat Window!!!

ish6

Since 2001
Hey N3V,

A long time ago, back to the old forum we had the chat window -- Boco, and a few Mod it for N3V! Not sure what happened but it was a cool way to constantly and daily communicate with other trainz users!

Why is it around anymore, I wonder!!! :'(

Ish

It also might be easier for Mods to see bad things happening in the chat.

In the old forum chat was there for many years, and like I said Boco and AJ, among others kept it civil!

I just never understood why N3V took it away, and never saw an explanation from them, as to why!

Chat was cool, in that, you go on there, ask questions and/or kill a few hours chatting about trainz, etc ...

I tell you one thing, generally speaking to the community, it kept folks coming back to the forum! --

Ish

Hey N3V,

A long time ago, back to the old forum we had the chat window -- Boco, and a few Mod it for N3V! Not sure what happened but it was a cool way to constantly and daily communicate with other trainz users!

Why is it around anymore, I wonder!!! :'(

Ish

I honestly think that this is a great idea. It would help me keep an eye on my chat channel while out of trainz.

This actually sounds like a really great idea. I would love to see something that isn't that god forsaken itrainz chat implemented into the forums. No anon accounts, only registered forum accounts!

Cheers,
SM

YES! It should just be made so unregistered accounts can't use chat at all, when they try to it should give a prompt telling them to register.

Hello --

Resurrecting this thread!

Why N3V don't allow us to chat, like the old days!?:'(

Sometimes chatting with your fellow forum posters helps each of us understand one another, and even help each other when we need it, when dealing with TANE, etc ..

It can settle many misunderstandings, and lessen the flame wars, as well!

I know, there's a million chat clients, but an in-house attached to the forum is the best ... was great then... we never really got an answer why it disappear!

Just my 2 cents!
Ish

Perhaps I'm slow today or too old but what can chat to that can't be done in a forum thread?

Hello Martin,

Sorry, sir, but don't quote understand your sentence above!

But let me just add -- In the old forum, where we had chat IRC channel, and Boco was its' mod, I went on there few times to get help about trainz stuff! And when one chat, in real time, you get to fix things fast!

Take Care
Ish

Hello Martin,

Sorry, sir, but don't quote understand your sentence above!

Take Care
Ish
What is the advantage of a chat versus a forum message? Chats may be live but since we are a world wide group, the expert you need might be asleep which makes the forum seem more convenient.

I agree with Martin, there are so many things more important than a chat channel which effectively duplicates the forum. I say no to the idea.

Peter

Some one gives good advice that may be applicable to others but in a chat room, it is lost as others cannot see it. Plus with the volatile people we have on here these days, it would need properly moderating 24/7 and I doubt that any of our mods wish to give up their Trainz time to babysit a chat room.
After all is said and done this is not a social networking site plenty of other means of doing that.

Good Morning All --

What is the advantage of a chat versus a forum message? Chats may be live but since we are a world wide group, the expert you need might be asleep which makes the forum seem more convenient.

I agree with Martin, there are so many things more important than a chat channel which effectively duplicates the forum. I say no to the idea.

Peter

Some one gives good advice that may be applicable to others but in a chat room, it is lost as others cannot see it. Plus with the volatile people we have on here these days, it would need properly moderating 24/7 and I doubt that any of our mods wish to give up their Trainz time to babysit a chat room.
After all is said and done this is not a social networking site plenty of other means of doing that.

Chat worked in the beginning of the trainz/forum - From what I can recall the problem was lack of supervision -- Boco was the mod of it, and he was leaving. That changed things I think!

Malc, sorry sir, but I think you've skip the trainz on this one, respectivedly --
Trainz is a social networking in one form or another ... I understand your mentally, sir, since you like working on your own, and that's fine; I, too, like working by myself at times; But trainz has always been a social-networking sim! Since the beginning of trainz folks have come together in one form, or another; Its why, folks like my good friend John, founder of TPR, and like my dear friend Alberte founder of IberTrainz, and among other sites have such sites; That along have grouped folks together.

Even here in the forum folks have their own specific / exclusvie threads that they only post on, like Ian "Vulcan" plane thread, and the Milwankeee thtread, and my favority the NorthEast Metro Route thread, among many others --- If this is not social networking mediem, then I don't know what is then! :)

Lastly "Traizn on the Road" of yesterdays, which I particpated in, was a social networking mechanism ....

Where I agree with you, sir, is that information share in chat will be lost -- And I have thought about that myself!

Kind Regards to all :)
Ish

Hi Everybody.
I agree with Martinvk, Narrowquage and clam1952 on this one as it being a very bad idea. As a football supporter I regularly visit several Manchester United forums two of which did introduce chat rooms during the last couple years and both have now been shut down. The problem is always moderation which needs to be 24 hours monitoring.

It was found that people often entered the chat room after having a few drinks or something, and even though we are all Man U supporters and on the same side often violent verbal rows would break out which would make some of the exchanges on this forum in past months look like a kids tea party.

In chat rooms you need “live moderation” meaning that you have a moderator on line constantly who can react instantly an argument breaks out to remove from the room one or more of the forum members as needed. My impression was that this forum has settled quite a bit in recent weeks with members finding their own level once again in T:ane, Trainz 12, Trainz 10 or even older versions as suits the individual member and their system. So, let us leave it at that for now and not tempt fate.

I believe we do need a far better real rail news section as I do think that could draw far more rail enthusiasts into the forum and then into this hobby. However, it seems to be impossible to open up the rail news section so that any member can open a topic.

By the way, when me Martinvk, Narrowquage and clam1952 all agree on something, it just proves that things must be improving :hehe:

Bill

Last edited:
Ish, the difference is that Trainz is a community, not an extension of Farcebook and Twitland.

Back