Even this forum looks better in Edge, the new Windows 10 browser

PC_Ace

Hauling Heavy Pixels
Have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying how well T:ANE and TS12 perform on Windows 10.
Indeed, even this forum looks better with the new Edge browser in 10.
Nicer fonts - better device support - HTML5 - just works straight out of the box' - brilliant Reading View allowing you to tag content for later reading minus all those annoying ads...
Have you reserved your free upgrade yet?
PC (unpaid MS Windows 10 enthusiast.)

It does look nice, but I can't type in the quick message window.

Do you have the same problem?

Speaking of Windows 10, I no longer have the Tech Preview Build number on my screen.... Build 20240 now which is nice and stable. :)

John

Yes the build number disappeared 'cos this is purportedly the retail release candidate version. Note that the EULAs are now all updated as they will be applied in the final retail release.
Here's a Tweet I got from Gabe Aul earlier today...Gabriel Aul@GabeAul 5h5 hours ago
We're releasing an update package on WU for PC build 10240 today. It will install automatically or you can check for updates to grab it.

John: I don't seem to have problems in this forum's Quick Reply window. Don't think I'm using compatibility view in Edge either (but I'll check. - Using Chrome browser right now on another machine.)

Yes the build number disappeared 'cos this is purportedly the retail release candidate version. Note that the EULAs are now all updated as they will be applied in the final retail release.
Here's a Tweet I got from Gabe Aul earlier today...Gabriel Aul@GabeAul 5h5 hours ago
We're releasing an update package on WU for PC build 10240 today. It will install automatically or you can check for updates to grab it.

John: I don't seem to have problems in this forum's Quick Reply window. Don't think I'm using compatibility view in Edge either (but I'll check. - Using Chrome browser right now on another machine.)

I got the tweet too, now that you mention it, and I remember seeing the EULA. It's great though that we saw this go through so many iterations to get to where it is now. ;)

I'll look for compatibility settings in Edge. I didn't know there was any. :)

I did mark the IT training classes as something to do so I can support 10 when it's released. I'm retired, well disabled, and don't work but being the family geek means everyone asks me questions!

John

I've booked my upgrade, but wondering if it will cause me to lose existing game settings, saved passwords etc that I've accumulated in Win 8.1. Does anyone here know the answer to that?

I've booked my upgrade, but wondering if it will cause me to lose existing game settings, saved passwords etc that I've accumulated in Win 8.1. Does anyone here know the answer to that?

Nope. Everything will remain in place. The only time you'll lose stuff is if you do a fresh install. We've upgraded a gazillion times at least since November.

I do, however, recommend having a good offline back up of your data anyway as this is always best practices for any upgrade.

@PC_Ace:

I'm typing this in Edge, but I can't type a new message. There has to be some existing text in there. I will report this bug to MS.

John

JCitron - Not sure why you're unable to 'type a new message' using Edge. What does that mean exactly? That you're unable to 'Reply' (or 'Post Quick Reply') to an existing thread message on this forum in Edge, or to Create a new Thread from scratch?
Seems I can do both without any apparent problems, but as mentioned before, am wondering whether or not I had somehow entered into 'compatibility mode' for the forum's link somehow, as we needed to do earlier for this forum in Internet Explorer 11.
I just checked all of the advanced settings and did not find any indication of (or indeed options to enter into) compatibility mode.
My next test will be to create a new thread (in the T:ANE forum this time) using Edge to see whether it works on this forum.

Hi
quick Question re win 10
with the free upgrade can you store the download for reinstall if you need it or is it a self install

Dave

JCitron - Not sure why you're unable to 'type a new message' using Edge. What does that mean exactly? That you're unable to 'Reply' (or 'Post Quick Reply') to an existing thread message on this forum in Edge, or to Create a new Thread from scratch?
Seems I can do both without any apparent problems, but as mentioned before, am wondering whether or not I had somehow entered into 'compatibility mode' for the forum's link somehow, as we needed to do earlier for this forum in Internet Explorer 11.
I just checked all of the advanced settings and did not find any indication of (or indeed options to enter into) compatibility mode.
My next test will be to create a new thread (in the T:ANE forum this time) using Edge to see whether it works on this forum.

What I mean is if I do a replay to a thread, I can't just type a message like I can in IE 11. I have to place a smiley face or quote a message and delete that before I can type. I've also had other crashes as well with it where if I hit the arrows up it cancels my hard work and I have to start all over again.

I couldn't find a compatibility mode, other than open this page in IE.

I did report the error to Microsoft via the feedback/what's wrong item in the menu on the right.

Please give it a test and let me know.

John

@ JCitron "I couldn't find a compatibility mode, other than open this page in IE."

Yep, IE is the compatibility mode for Edge.

IE was very good back in the XP era when it was IE 6. Now, 14 years later, we have a brand new browser called Edge. Where has time gone?

Please, someone post some screenshots of what Edge looks like. And I don't mean this Edge;

6ce9af2bcf8a95cef23eda2c6a6c825d.jpg

Unfortunately John, I couldn't find any compatibility settings and cannot replicate your issue with editing on this forum with Edge.
It works for me. Indeed, it works just as well as - and in a similar fashion to - the always-reliable Chrome browser, which BTW, is not quite as fast as Edge.

Going back to IE11 in compatibility mode for the time being will no doubt help your frustration levels until the MS team get back to you on your bug report.
The actual problem appears to be the poor handling of the archaic CSS and HTML structure of the forum site, rather than the standard HTML5 capabilities of any browser you're using.
(This forum uses the old DocType DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional...)

We both know that Edge has some way to go in terms of stability and feature development as it has been rewritten completely from the ground up and is not based on any legacy IE code (though as originally stated, I'm pretty impressed with its performance now.)
From August onwards, we'll see huge numbers of new Edge users coming onstream as millions of people upgrade to Windows 10. That will reshape the way content is written for the WWW as IE-use will largely disappear for most except enterprise users and a tiny remnant group of Windows XP DieHards.
The global monthly browser stats will become very interesting viewing over the next year or so...

Last edited:
Unfortunately John, I couldn't find any compatibility settings and cannot replicate your issue with editing on this forum with Edge.
It works for me. Indeed, it works just as well as - and in a similar fashion to - the always-reliable Chrome browser, which BTW, is not quite as fast as Edge.

Going back to IE11 in compatibility mode for the time being will no doubt help your frustration levels until the MS team get back to you on your bug report.
The actual problem appears to be the poor handling of the archaic CSS and HTML structure of the forum site, rather than the standard HTML5 capabilities of any browser you're using.
(This forum uses the old DocType DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional...)

We both know that Edge has some way to go in terms of stability and feature development as it has been rewritten completely from the ground up and is not based on any legacy IE code (though as originally stated, I'm pretty impressed with its performance now.)
From August onwards, we'll see huge numbers of new Edge users coming onstream as millions of people upgrade to Windows 10. That will reshape the way content is written for the WWW as IE-use will largely disappear for most except enterprise users and a tiny remnant group of Windows XP DieHards.
The monthly browser stats will become very interesting viewing over the next year or so...

Yup... The old-fashioned Doc-type format. I hand wrote some html stuff using that format. It was quite painful that's all I remember about it. :)

I really wonder what the stats will show once Edge comes online officially. It really is nice and I agree once there are more people using it, things will be fixed and we'll move forward from there.

It's most likely something to do with this site. Perhaps too it maybe my install which has been updated and patched a gazillion times now since I started the beta. I was thinking that after I get the upgrade in place, I will get out the hose and redo my machine. As much as Microsoft says that isn't necessary, I find it's a good thing to do periodically and have done that for at least 25 years. The good news is I won't lose any data in the process as all my stuff is on other drives so reformatting and reinstalling the OS just does that. Once I'm done, I repoint to my documents folder, which also contains my photos and other stuff. It's a simple few clicks for that. The rest will be simple reinstalls of applications which only takes a few hours instead of many, many hours like before.

John

Back