Amtrak on the Wrong Track: Travelling the U.S. Railroads on the Looney Front

Why does Amtrak insist on not giving a numbered seat to passengers who reserve? I recently travelled on Amtrak Train 68, the Adirondack, from Montreal to New York and it was one of the most unpleasant boarding experiences I can remember.
OK, so it wasn't Calcutta's Howrah station where millions invade the tracks as soon as the train appears, swarming all over both the insides and outsides, hanging out of windows and doors, and balancing on roofs until you can no longer see either carriages or engine for the masses of humanity.
But because Amtrak has open seating even on reserved coaches there was a vast queue forming by Montreal's platform 17 entrance more than an hour and 20 minutes before the train was due to leave, with the gate opening a half an hour before departure - just to be able to get the best seats.

Massing long before the Adirondack's departure
This seems a most inhospitable and passenger-unfriendly method. Virtually every other rail company I have traveled on throughout the world issues a numbered reservation, thus avoiding such a circus.
Secondly, the Wi-Fi connection was so bad within the U.S. that it was virtually useless. The connection was sporadic, continually breaking off, and inordinately slow even the few times it deigned to operate. Why in fact did I receive better Wi-Fi service on a bus in the wildest Andes of third-world Peru than I got in so-called first world USA?
Finally I don't understand why Amtrak doesn't have a food trolley with drinks and snacks going up and down the cars on the 10-hour-long Adirondack as occurs in most other countries, including Canada's VIA Rail. This would avoid the long lines forming in the café car and the endless wait while being tossed from side to side by the boogieing train as though aboard a ship in a roaring gale.
I know Amtrak has one or two items that they heat in the café car such as pizza or noodles, but the vast majority of people seem to want drinks and cold sandwiches.
Thus I thought it was worth contacting Amtrak's 'Ask Julie' customer service to find out.

Amtrak's Adirondack arriving in Fort Edward, NY
First of all, very positively, Amtrak did reply - and at thoughtful length. They said that they have found from experience that pre-assigning seats is not the answer that it might appear to be. At times, it is necessary to substitute a car which is designed for a different number of passengers.
'Also, we generally group people together by their destinations, but we cannot know long beforehand the number of travelers going to a particular location,' they added. 'If a car were set aside far ahead of time for persons going to a certain city, but few people chose that destination, the car might be empty while others end up being overcrowded.'
I still don't find the answer convincing. Surely with computers you could easily juggle the numbers and seats without necessarily setting cars aside for particular destinations - assuming, of course, the computers don't break down. Perhaps Amtrak should ask companies abroad how they manage without any problem. That way you could eliminate my Montreal experience.

How to avoid scenes like this
On Wi-Fi, Amtrak said: 'We strive to have our Wi-Fi service up and running at all times. When a technical problem occurs, we have professionals working on the issue immediately from an external location. Unfortunately, on board Conductors do not have the ability to fix the problem themselves, but are asked to report the problem through the correct channels. So, it is not as easily fixed as we would like.'
Perhaps Amtrak should ask the bus companies in Peru how they manage.
On the food cart services, Amtrak said it had passed my comment on to the train manager.
'Comments from our customers help us to change/add services, and improve what we already offer,' they added.
As you can see, I don't accept their logic, but I was indeed pleased that they bothered to reply. Perhaps those who have had similar experiences can contact them.

In the UK, the Pendolino Class 390 electrics operated by Virgin Trains and the Class 220/221 Voyagers operated by Cross Country have on board electronic reservations which display the locations between which a seat is reserved. The disadvantage of this as opposed to paper reservations is that because the system can be updated in real time, an unreserved seat can attract a reservation even when the train starts its journey. So there you are, going from Cheltenham to York sat in a seat enjoying the underfloor engine throb and the smell from the retention toilet, to promptly be ejected at Birmingham New Street when someone boards who bought a ticket at the last minute!

Not allocating a specific seat is something I encountered travelling on VIA Rail in 1986. Your ticket included a coach number but no specific seat allocated. Not a problem boarding in Toronto, but a different story at Banff. I also found the onboard staff quite aggressive and rude, forcing people to move from (say) a window seat where the aisle was free, to an aisle seat next to someone else to free up two seats for a couple travelling together. Ask nicely and I might consider it, but the problem could have been averted in the first place with a proper reservation system. Having travelled from 4000 miles away to see the Canadian Rockies, I wasn't about to relinquish a decent view of the scenery.

It's strange that Amtrak gave you that response, as when my wife and I took Amtrak from L.A. to Texas a few years ago we were given a car number as well as seat numbers, which were stamped on our tickets, just like an airline ticket. I asked if we could change seats if we wanted to and the conductor said no as the train is completely booked. Maybe they have changed their policy since then, or maybe they only do it for long and completely booked excursions.

It's strange that Amtrak gave you that response, as when my wife and I took Amtrak from L.A. to Texas a few years ago we were given a car number as well as seat numbers, which were stamped on our tickets, just like an airline ticket. I asked if we could change seats if we wanted to and the conductor said no as the train is completely booked. Maybe they have changed their policy since then, or maybe they only do it for long and completely booked excursions.

Superliners and sleepers usually operate differently than the Amfleets on the Adirondack and most eastern trains.

----------------

In regards to the original post here, Amtrak assigns cars to destinations because some trains still set out cars at major terminals for branches of the train to take to a different destination, not to mention it means after one destination is reached that's one less car the crew has to worry about.

In regards to the original post here, Amtrak assigns cars to destinations because some trains still set out cars at major terminals for branches of the train to take to a different destination, not to mention it means after one destination is reached that's one less car the crew has to worry about.[/COLOR]

There's only three AMTRAK trains that do this:

AMTRAK's Empire Builder splits into two trains at Spokane, Washington, with one section going to Portland, Oregon and the other section going to Seattle, Washington.
AMTRAK's Chicago, Illinois-San Antonio, Texas Texas Eagle connects with the Los Angeles, California-New Orleans, Louisiana Sunset Limited in San Antonio where a sleeper (and maybe a coach) is added to the westbound Sunset Limited. This sleeper (and coach) is then taken off the Sunset Limited at San Antonio and added onto the Texas Eagle to return to Chicago. This gives passengers of the Texas Eagle the option of going to San Antonio or Los Angeles. Please note that the Texas Eagle train runs daily and the Sunset Limited runs tri-weekly, which means that the Texas Eagle can only provide service to Los Angeles three times a week.
AMTRAK's Chicago-New York City/Boston, Massachusetts Lake Shore Limited splits at Albany-Rensselaer to provide service to Boston and New York City.

Back