Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freelancers Anonymous

Blog Entries

RedGemAlchemist - we cannot see pictures that are on your computer. You must upload these images to a photo sharing site.

Shane
    Shane Turner
    Technical and DirectX Advisor - Not affiliated with N3V

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com

Thanks for that information, Shane. Must say, I feel like a bit of a prat now. I'm not particularly familiar with how this forum works.
    Alchimia disrumpuntur

Right, let's try that again (warning: large pictures):

I've already explained the mentality behind this locomotive. Here's a little of its in-game backstory:
    "Jade" was constructed in 1880 for use by the Aryle's own workshops in Ardmaith. Built from parts that would otherwise have gone to waste, this miniscule locomotive has been a stalwart of the line since it's inception, hauling track-repair trains and moving tool vans around. When the line originally closed in 1967, "Jade" was purchased by the railway's owner along with No.1 "Connor" and sat on Aryle Hall's small loop of track for about 44 years until the two locomotives were returned to the then-reopened and restored line. "Jade" was immediately reclaimed by the Ardmaith works and returned to her duties as their resident workhorse, which she continues to do to this day.
    Last edited by RedGemAlchemist; July 7th, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
    Alchimia disrumpuntur

United States of America, Massachusetts, Malden
    Blog Entries

Red Diamond Alchemist, I have a bone or two to pick with you.
    1. Any man who approaches reality with no conception of what its about is no more than a Troll under the bridge or a Trogladite pounding the earth with his stone axe at the entrance to his cave.
    2. All great men (and not so great too) with imagination and creativity worthy of recognition have a sense of what they're trying to do.
    3. That sense in a function of their interaction with the REAL world.
    4. Those folks that have had the most impact are realist with a different 'take'. They know their element, be it History, Physics, Art, Literature, Politics, Economics etc., etc.
    My 2 cents....................................
    Carry on................................
    Regards
    Trainz 2012 Engineers Edition: build 61388
    TaNE build 82718
    You may, but are not obligated to, ignore this post!

First off, "Red Diamond Alchemist"? That's new. Might change my Steam name to that now.

I can entirely see your point (or points) and am finding it difficult to say anything that isn't supporting them. At the same time, I want to get this thread quickly back on-track (pun intended) but being English I am driven to at least try to be polite. The best response will be letting a bit of my Philosophy studies through, so here it is:

What we see as "reality" differs from person to person as it is all just sense data, and sense data can only be expressed or analysed by the one receiving it. Therefore, one cannot truly have a conception of what reality is all about as one cannot see reality, only their own specific experience of reality. In short, nobody can really be realist because nobody actually knows what reality is.

I hope that was an appropriate response. Now let us return to what this thread should actually be about before Descartes rears his ugly head again.
    Alchimia disrumpuntur

United States of America, Massachusetts, Malden
    Blog Entries

My apologies for not getting your 'handle' right. While I agree with your perception of thy self, it would be improper and rude for me to "flush' your birds
    So I'll quote from Steamboat's 'Book of Life'; Chapter 72;.......................
    item 947.....Para. 0003; "So!"

Oh! By the way Alchemy does work. It just takes a little imagination and a lot of hard work.
    Regards
    Trainz 2012 Engineers Edition: build 61388
    TaNE build 82718
    You may, but are not obligated to, ignore this post!

Thanks for your courtesy, my good man.

Anyway, a proof of concept drawing for you all now that I did because... well, I got bored. This is for No.1 - the well tank I mentioned earlier. Constructive criticism on the concept would be appreciated, but please don't critique the art and lack of detail because I know it's rubbish. It's a proof of concept drawn on Paint, not the Sistine Chapel.

Alchimia disrumpuntur

post deleted
    me too thanks

I am starting to think that putting up that concept may have been an error.
    Alchimia disrumpuntur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedGemAlchemist View Post
    I am starting to think that putting up that concept may have been an error.
    No, the idea is perfectly good. And as a concept, it is fine if if helps you get the overall look just right. Another creator is always welcome. Some of my earliest objects didn't look much better so don't worry. The only downside is that early concept drawings can lead to wild speculation and exaggerated expectations. Sometimes it's better to be more discreet.

Off topic: Alchemy does work IF you have access to a suitable nuclear reactor. They routinely change one element to another. You could change lead into gold and even gold into lead if that's your desire. If you only have access to purely chemical reactions, then alchemy doesn't work since they cannot affect the atomic nucleus.

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Blog Entries

duplicate post

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

To the first paragraph: Ok. Maybe in future a more detailed drawing is required if I am going to ask for advice. Still, for what I need it's perfectly fine as it gives me a rough idea to work from seeing as I have no formal plans.

To the second paragraph: This is an excellent point, and as such I have changed my signature to something a bit more esoteric. The original was a contracted version of the line "Alchemy doesn't work... believe me, I've tried" which comes from a review of the anime series Full Metal Alchemist I did on my old, now nonexistant YouTube channel. I feel the new one is a bit more fitting. In English, it roughly translates to "unhinged alchemy" and the reason for this choice of words is probably quite clear by now considering that several people on this thread alone have now had to bear with my aimless rambling.
    Alchimia disrumpuntur

Blog Entries

My opinion on freelance is that it should be plausible, but you can still imagine things and make it your own. For example if I was building a narrow gauge line I wouldn't build it set in modern times with narrow gauge ES44AC's and narrow gauge wellcars and concrete ties. I could design my own locos, as long as I had them make sense.
    Back after a long break

Well, maybe you shouldn't be too hasty, now. There is prototype precedent for modern, high (4000) horsepower, narrow gauge locomotives: the GE BB40-9W, which is used in Brazil to haul the heaviest regular iron ore trains in the world on meter gauge track. (cf. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Brazil>).

From the photos in the link, it certainly appears that the clearances along the line might well accommodate containers and container cars, though with axle loading of 25 tons, they would likely not be double stacked well cars. Maybe like the old ATSF / TTX 10-pack spine container cars. Haven't found a photo to tell whether the railroad uses concrete ties, or not, but if they're using 4K horsepower power, I don't see why a narrow gauge line couldn't use concrete ties.

ns
    M.U.T.O.T.T.

I've found the key to world peace a dozen times. Unfortunately, they keep changing the lock.

Just a gently comment, both TS12 and TANE are capable of using textures in mysterious ways that I've never quite understood myself but apparently standard GMAX isn't quite clever enough to use them. It might be worth trying Blender, Paul Hobbs has some tutorials and there are others lying around. From memory Paul also has a Blender library of bits that helps speed the process of modelling.

Cheerio John