Is it Bad Luck when a Black Cat crosses the Railway Tracks in front of a Train?

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
You decide. I'm glad that it didn't get run over.

I've got a big and fat black cat laying next to me on the couch, and I'm not having any bad luck at the moment.
Oh, and one more important thing:
PLEASE DO NOT POST VIDEOS OF ANIMALS GETTING RUN OVER BY A TRAIN!

What an excellent thread

clapping_hands_7.jpg

Who even believes in superstitions anymore anyway?

Last edited:
Railroaders have their own superstitions. Like, renumbering a locomotive that was involved in a wreck that killed one of its crew.

The black cat thing really only applies to things that can change their paths on a whim. Trains (or their engineers) certainly can't decide they'd prefer to travel down an old industrial spur rather than take their load to its destination.

Quick! Someone find a comprehensive list of railroad superstitions!

I never had good or bad luck and had a black cat for 23 years...
You cant really say that because you have nothing to compare it with. You don't know how your life might have ended up if you didn't have a black cat for 23 years. LOL :hehe:

Railroaders have their own superstitions. Like, renumbering a locomotive that was involved in a wreck that killed one of its crew.

The black cat thing really only applies to things that can change their paths on a whim. Trains (or their engineers) certainly can't decide they'd prefer to travel down an old industrial spur rather than take their load to its destination.

Quick! Someone find a comprehensive list of railroad superstitions!

One of them was that BR locomotive that a religious person or someone like that (fortune teller) told BR to renumber because it would be in a wreck. BR renumbered it, but it was still in a wreck.

One of them was that BR locomotive that a religious person or someone like that (fortune teller) told BR to renumber because it would be in a wreck. BR renumbered it, but it was still in a wreck.
LOL, well that was a fail then wasn't it, the fortune teller should have been hung as a hoax.

You cant really say that because you have nothing to compare it with. You don't know how your life might have ended up if you didn't have a black cat for 23 years. LOL :hehe:

True, Ian!. :)

My brother said he always had bad luck, but then again that could be better than having no luck at all. We do wonder, don't we, although maybe it's due to her lasting effects, but my luck hasn't changed much since. :)

Such things we ponder....

When my daughter was a junior in high school she talked us (her mother) into getting a cat. She came home with a brown kitten that turned jet back. Fast forward 18 months, kid moves away to college for 5 years, graduates, gets a job, moves to California and will soon be getting married. Meanwhile the cat is now going on 13 years old (people years) and still living at my home. I have granted my daughter visitation rights, but she can't take him. I have never been much of a cat person, but I have to admit, this guy is pretty mellow and never been much of a problem. As for bad luck, well, one can only speculate.

Regards,

DSC_0753%20S_zps9q5namjs.jpg

Let's all share our cat photos!

(sorry for bad quality, it's a phone/ipad pic)
My cat's name is Hancock, and he is in the sausage position.
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%204.25.09%20PM_zpsjech3fer.png
[/URL][/IMG]
And then we has more napsy:
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%204.29.23%20PM_zpsuiqhwxxh.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
On the topic of Black Cats . . .

I've had Wynkin, one of our eight cats, has been laying here since I got on my computer. If you think he's fat, you should have seen his brother.

P1170172_zpsk0g0vcdn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No photos, gee I have to get some... I have two fluffy queens in the house, I mean their castle. They usually help me while in Surveyor. One of them used to come running to watch the intro video for TRS2004. She's a bit older and much more sophisticated for that, but still helps out at the computer.

When not helping me, she's teasing the dog or watching the outside birds.

Such a life. :)

@RRSignal your cat looks like my late Harley who lived with us for at least 23 years.

John

Aw, sweet. Lol, I have a 23-year-old too, Casper, who is a Siamese:

snip

And, while we're at it, Precious:

snip...

We had Pe-Ta, Anna, and Tiffany, and Kittsy (Kitzle) who were all Siamese. 'Ta lived at least 23 years while the others lived to their late teens. Siamese are very special cats, which many people don't understand and are scared of them! Why? I love it when they get up in your face and meow at you when you are talking loudly. TA knew our neighbor didn't like cats and would take a flying leap into her arms when she visited... :D

We now have 3 cats... Lou-Lou, Lilly, and Sadie Preciousness, who walks with her tail up in the air. Your Preciousness looks like our very old, long past now, Lady Katherine. Her son was Spooky our Maine Coon who sadly died from cancer. He was 17 going on 18 when that happened in 2008. He and his siblings were born in our house. Lady came for a visit, stayed and had her kittens in our bathroom. We found homes for all but two which we kept. Spooky's brother died, but 'Spoo' lived. He became my dad's cat/dog and would follow him around and sit with him all day and night.

I have to find my pics...

John

Last edited:
Back