Decoder Pro

watemple

Still here... lurking
Hello everybody,

Since I don't have an advanced CV programming controller, would it be possible to use the computer program Decoder Pro directly? I would like to try out CV's and customize some locomotives' sounds to my taste.

you can use it to program decoders, The Train club I go to uses it for programing but I have never been able to get it to work right but you might be able to, but I have to ask you what system you use and since you mentioned you dont have a controller that can do it I have a feeling you don't have a programing track or an interface that can connect the computer to the layout or your system, so It would help a little with some more infirmation, but apart from that you probbally won't have any trouble if you have the right equipment, but I do have to warn you If you have any MTH engines It won't work and or any BLI Paragon 2's which might or might not work.
I hope that helps a little.

I have the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center, which isn't a huge CV programmer. I have some Bachmann Sound Value Berkshires. Would a programming track just be a rerailer/terminal and some track or would it be something different?

a Programming track is a small section of track which is used to program DCC engines which is baiscially what you just described although you have to isolate it from the rest of the layout, and there is usally another set of ports to wire your track to that says program. I have to say I'm not too experienced with the bachamnn DCC system, but I dont think there is anything you can plug it into your comuter which you need if you want to use Decoder pro unless you are willing to get another system, so you are kind of stuck in that relm unless any one else knows how you can interface it into your layout with bachmann controllers. My suggestion to you If you want to change around CV's alot you are eventually are going to have to get another system which I suggest a starter system since you are using a EZ controller you are probabally not running the biggest layout in the world so a starter system sould work, I would suggest either The Digitrax Zephyr or the MRC PRodigy Express system which are both entry level systems and all you have to do is plug it into the track and the wall and you are good to go they also have a feature called programming on the main which eliminates the need for a programming track and uses the layout as the programming track but the systems. I personally suggest The Prodigy express because it is very straight forward also it has instructions on how to program locomotives on the main on the back of the controller. and you have much more ability to expand with the zephyr just becase of the sheer size of Digitrax's product range and they do sell a computer interface but with the zephyr and what you aer possibally going to do the Zephyr would do just fine. but It is a matter of opinoin for what system you choose and ask around for what would suit your needs the best but with the info i herd a DCC Starter System would be your best bet at this point and then maybe Decoder pro later on. I hope that helped you out a little I also suggest that you do your research on Decoder pro if you still want to use it. I have one more question how well do those sound value berkshires work for you as I have been always tempted to get one myself.
Hoped This Helped.

Never mind, someone at my hobby shop said he'll do it.

As for the Sound Value Berks (HO not N), they work wonderfully. They are smooth operating and way better than the regular DCC on board which has that annoying motor buzz, DCC Sound does not. My Berks (Nickel Plate 765 and Pere Marquette 1225) can handle 10 plus cars with ease (look here).

For full detail, I'd recommend watching this review.

Last edited:
Back