Thread: Apology to non-members

Default Apology to non-members

Hi all,

To all those who try to contact me via PM or other off-forum mechanisms: My apologies but unfortunately I can't give detailed replies to every comment or request. A big part of the purpose of creating this forum was to narrow the focus of our the dev team's communications with the outside world down to something that is simultaneously manageable for us, and yet useful to the people with whom we correspond.

The flipside of this is that forum members here are able to follow up your requests and integrate your concerns into their own posts; this doesn't mean that I'm encouraging unsolicited PMs to them either, but I hope that some of them will be kind enough to put themselves forward (either by listing their interests on this thread, or by making it known elsewhere when relevant.) If nobody has put themselves forward to handle comments on a particular topic that you're interested in, then please feel free to post on one of the other forums (such as the content creator's forum, the T:ANE forum, Suggestions forum, or etc.)

I'd like to give my appreciation to everyone who cares enough about the discussions here to have an opinion, and apologise again that we can't include the entire forum in such debates.

chris
    Last edited by WindWalkr; June 13th, 2015 at 07:53 AM.

For trainzdev forum members, if you're game for it:

Please follow up this post with a very brief bio and/or areas of interest that other Trainz users should contact you regarding, and whether or not you're amenable to receiving PMs on those subjects (or your preferred alternative if not.)

Participation in the above is not mandatory, since I certainly understand how much time this can take up, but for those who able to help out- you have my thanks.

chris

Blog Entries

I'm happy to take PMs or e-mails from trainz members but I'm more likely to take notice from those with whom I have had discussions on common interests.

My interests are asset creation including traincars (steam) and, to a lesser extent, industries and scenery. Anything that relates to the issues, including scripting, in creating such assets is of interest to me. I'm less interested in route building itself but am happy making assets for those who are.

My background is software engineering and I use Blender for making my assets.

I'm especially interested in making assets look and perform better in T:ANE.

Paul

Blog Entries

Am I the only volunteer? Maybe I shouldn't read posts at 1 am.

Paul

Pm's fine here, I get a few at times anyway usually related to something I've tried to help with on the forums.
    Main interests, at Present Route Building and updating my older assets that I never got round to uploading so they are TS12 SP1 / T:ANE compatible.
    have made a lot of assets mainly 2ft Narrow gauge related and buildings, track etc specific to my main route.
    Have got 3ds Max10, still got GMAX with the max 5 exporter, 3dcrafter Pro which is getting a bit dated as far as Trainz is concerned. I can use Blender but put bluntly don't like it.
    Also use TransDem and have used Hog / Microdem.

Backround, been using computers since the ZX81 appeared and fully versed in Linux and Windows and a few dozen other operating systems I've tried out, Self taught in Delphi and C in the last century and now forgotten most of what I knew.
    Malc

OK, here are my "specs";

• I'm a content creator more than a route builder or driver.
    • My Trainz author number is 68213
    • 3D programs used are gmax and more recently 3DS Max 2009, plus Photoshop CS3 (for preparing textures) with PixPlant 2 (for normal maps).
    • No expertise with SketchUp, Blender or any form of computer coding.
    • My content has mostly been scenery, splines, vehicles and commodities. I know almost nothing about locos, rolling stock, tracks, signals, animation or scripting.
    • Trainz versions installed are TS2010 and T:ANE (DRM-free). I don't have TS12.

If you think I can be of assistance, use e-mail (the PM in-box is limited and you can't sent attachments). My Hotmail address is in most, if not all, of my creations (all on the DLS). Make sure to include "Trainz" or "Trainz Dev" in the title so I know it's not spam.

~ Deane

If someone would like to know how I have successfully created my highly detailed TS10 and TS12 Australian locomotives, you are welcome to ask me anything about these via PM. Even asking me about "auto numbering", which seems to be a somewhat much lesser understood topic for some locomotive builders. Anything about using 3DS Max, of what I know with it.

But if you indeed "dare" to ask me about locomotive creating for TANE, well, YOU are on your own and please do not ask me. As I don't know either, I am like the proverbial mushroom, living in the dark, oblivious there and not knowing of the ways of creating locomotives for TANE. At least these mushrooms are getting fed with some proverbial stuff to grow. I do not even get that.

Like night mode to get the locomotive numbers to light up at night plus some of the coronas are not working correctly either. Some possible scripting changes now too in TANE, as my custom script somehow does not work right as it supposed to run in TANE. Yet all the above was faultless working in TS10 or TS12.

So much so for a "New Era" and i"mproved" Train Simulator. I guess, the "New Era" might possibly start in a few years, long after most good content creators have moved on to create somewhere else, where sensibility of getting created content into TANE and the "How to do it" is available in abundance. Or by possibly have given it all away to pursue a more relaxing hobby.

My opinion.

VinnyBarb

My interests in TRS are pretty much reflected in the content I've produced and I will support this where I can. Most of my content comprises collections of assets and all of them have support threads which are mostly listed here. I also write and maintain AssetX.

I skim all of the forums dailiy but I may not notice posts or threads elsewhere and I don't generally respond to support requests by pm or email (answering one pm deals with one user, answering the same thing on the forum might help dozens)

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I'll take PMs as well and have been since my TRS2004 days, however, if the problem is more general in nature, I recommend people post the question in forums so everyone can benefit. Like Andi06 I too browse the forums daily and try to help out where I can. I seem to be the one that catches a lot of the new folks who are looking for help.

I will admit I am not a programmer. It's not that I don't have the skills; it's I never had the interest or patience with it so I never gained any real experience. Over the years, I've taken classes (There's a Java pun here. ) and wrote stuff in Pascal, Fortran, BASIC, Z-80 and 8080 assembly, C, C++, and Java. Having said this, I became a technician that worked at the component level as I repaired old hardware such as terminals, modems, memory cards, and other peripherals. Later I ended up in MIS and then IT where I've retired from in 2013, and have gained lots of experience with various operating systems including Linux, Solaris, Ultrix, Windows (all flavors), as well as more obsolete ones such as VMS and OS/2.

I have some 3d modeling experience, though these skills are rusty so I understand the concepts and can explain things sometimes... Thus, the conversation on LOD targets is interesting and so has the one on procedural track.

As a Trainzer, I am a route builder and know Surveyor almost inside and out as I spend most of my time there.

John
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    Am I the only volunteer? Maybe I shouldn't read posts at 1 am.
    Hey Paul did you get my PM?

I'm willing to help if I can. My main skill is asset creation using Blender, otherwise just generally quite a lot of experience with the craziness of Trainz.
    Mick Berg.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Berg View Post
    Hey Paul did you get my PM?
    Yep, but I was away from home and on a dubious WiFi connection. Happy to chat offline on issues of mutual interest although I think I've lost your e-mail address courtesy of a wayward Win 8 upgrade.

Cheers

Paul