T:ane\cache\internet\?????.cdp

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
I have 2013 cdp files in my T:ane\cache\internet folder, apparently files that I have downloaded but they are not much use as they are all labelled as 'hash' files with no other means of identification. What is the purpose of this? Currently at 400+ KB, over time this folder could become an unseen monster.

Peter

That folder, which should clear itself out once T:ANE is closed, contains the temporary files that Trainz downloads when it picks up asset listings or when a piece of content is downloaded either using the in-game DLC system or through Content Manager.

Shane

Nope!

The entries date back more than seven days during which time T:ane has been switched on/off 10-12l times and the computer itself more 7 times. Earliest date is the 3d of this month. As the file names bear no relation to the content of the CDP I see no reason for saving/recording the downloaded CDP. I think this is a programmers "i'll save them it might be useful" that was left in the code and has no current purpose.

Peter

They may not have any correlation, but they are the temp CDP files. I do have a utility available though that can clear that folder if it's not being cleaned correctly.

Shane

!39 views and 4 posts?

Shane, it is no problem to delete the folder contents but it is worrying that unsuspecting users can run out of space so easily. It seems to have been added in the last patches so I expect that the delete function will come in the next patch. I still can't see why it is needed.

Peter

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it isn't a good idea to clear that folder. None of my T:ANE installations do that automatically. One has about 2000 files and 976mb of data, the others only about 70-90mb of data.

During beta testing I did clear that folder several times to correct problems with the database and, as I recall, it caused the standard test routes to be downloaded again. That was a lot of data. AFAIK that might cause any additional packages to be downloaded again.

I'd like to hear N3V's thoughts on this. However, I agree with Peter that disk space may be being used unnecessarily.

Paul

You mention 'files', in my case they are all CDPs and represent items I have downloaded. None of them seem related to testing. Apparently, they all appeared since the last hotfix.

No rush to remove them, I'll wait and see what the wise ones have to say.

Peter

Should have said that I delete the contents of Internet\cache every so often in TANE, as I did in TS12 which also doesn't appear to always clear it. Doesn't cause any problems in fact I think it possibly avoids certain issues that some have.

I delete the contents of the cache/internet folder every time I download something. Seems for me that if there is anything in there the database rebuild crashes or lasts for ever. I have a shortcut to the folder on my desktop and whack before starting TANE. No problems what so ever. Nice for you.

RJ Artim

Last edited:
Back