T:ANE & Windows 10.

DickTurpin

GWR Man
Microsoft are offering me the chance to upgrade from my Windows 7 to Windows 10 on July 29th.
(There is no Windows 9, as the Chinese consider the number 9 as unlucky).
Does anyone know if T:ANE will be compatible with Windows 10? I have come
to the forum to ask this question as at the moment N3V are not replying to
any of the tickets I've submitted.

I've been using Windows 10 for T:ANE for a while now, and can confirm that it works well,
even better than Win 7. Just be sure that your hardware is up to the task.
Regards, Ken

I'll second what Ken says. :)

I too have been using it as well, and it runs great for me for both TS12 and T:ANE.

John

I'd hold off. Windows 7 is the new XP and it's going to be around for a long time, probably well past it's support date. I'm working on a large project now (the third one in the last year) that's just now upgrading to 7 from XP.

Big things to consider are whether taking the free upgrade obsoletes your Win7 key and, worse, that Win10 is likely to take on a full Software-as-a-Service model in the future (the free upgrade being the hook) with a subscription basis, since Microsoft has already announced that they will start offering "Windows-as-a-Service" without going into specifics about how customers will pay for that. They're not likely to do so before the free upgrade period ends in 2016, and they can always change any terms or payment models anytime they want anyway.

? will windows 10 support X86 software like windows 7 :ie Trainz 2009, Paint Shop Pro. etc" or do I need to set up Two operating systems.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm going to hold back for the time being, as I didn't know there
was going to be a subscription clause ~ they don't tell you these things, do they. Anyway, at
least I know that T:ANE will work on Windows 10.
Cheers,
Dick.

And it will perform better. Win 10 helps memory management and DX12 helps graphics pipelines - double win.

And it will perform better. Win 10 helps memory management and DX12 helps graphics pipelines - double win.

If presented as an option, great. If future T:ANE is going to NEED Win10, then that'll be a problem, in no small part due to the aforementioned reasons. While consumers tend to be less-knowledgeable than their enterprise counterparts, people like to stick with what they know, the lines between enterprise and consumer are becoming blurrier, and money is also an ever-present concern. Win7 isn't going anywhere, warts and all.

So, what does that mean in term of performance like...FPS. Will we get more fps for the same (compatible) hardware because we upgrade to Win 10 and Directx 12 ? If yes, what percentage this would mean ?
Rail4Pete

TANE will always work on win 7 and 8. There is no forced upgrade strategy. My own experience was a 10-20% improvement in fps. Others can probably chime in with the experience.

win10 releases end of july

To Win 7 and Win 8.1 users

And don't forget the all new Direct X12 in Windows 10 and once you upgrade to Windows 10 free, users can perform a clean install of Windows 10 many times as they want with the same key, this was announced by Microsoft a few days back.

Last edited:
Back