Article: TANE - Let "A New Era" of Content Creation BEGIN

Assets and routes will come, but be mindful that both can't be produced quickly if any sort of end quality is expected. Even a short 5 - 10 mile route could take a month of spare time to get up to an acceptable release standard.

Chicken and egg also applies here and many route builders are probably waiting for next gen assets to be produced, more types and sub-types of procedural track is one good example. As discussed at length in the forums it seems generally accepted that if it was made for TRS2006 (or even later editions), it still looks like that epoch in TANE. Many of the items we took for granted in TS12 even such as the extensive and excellent range of Ultra foliage no longer work in TANE due to the Speedtree version increment.

The article author would do well to read the main forum thread, TANE Attracting New Customers http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?119999-T-ane-Attracting-New-Users-(customers) as this to some extent also extends to rekindling the urge to create for existing users.

I have got route projects WIP and quite keen to get something out but it is not going to happen overnight - the only way this would have been assured was a stable SDK some time in advance of the main release (and the CE versions were hardly that).

Seems as good as any thread to ask:

(1) Where is the 'Edit' folder within T:ANE so that I can point Assetx to it?

(2) Is it possible to deploy 'OpenWith' for Assetx in T:ANE if so how?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

To answer your questions:

(1) The editing folder is in the T:ANE userdata folder (by default it's %localappdata%\N3V Games\TANE or %localappdata%\N3V Games\TANE\build xxxxx).
(2) That feature isn't available yet.

Shane

I would donate to Kevin if he can script it to search your app data location folder and do this automated.........
Why, cause Trainz Content for T:ANE is VERY INCONSISTANT........ And we did NOT choose the file compression format and then revert back to not using it in T:ANE.......

Should be the responsibility of N3V to provided an automated tool as a result............

I would donate to Kevin if he can script it to search your app data location folder and do this automated.........
Why, cause Trainz Content for T:ANE is VERY INCONSISTANT........ And we did NOT choose the file compression format and then revert back to not using it in T:ANE.......

Should be the responsibility of N3V to provided an automated tool as a result............

PEV's Images2TGA tool is pretty good at dealing with things like that, but it's awaiting N3V to add the OpenWith functionality.

Shane

Utilizing Shane One Asset At A Time and then hunting asset by asset not reported as .texture asset errors in Trainz Content but shows In-Game "Captain, we have a problem" (Only My Iportal Route)............. Thank You PEVSOFT, THANK YOU.........

Open With In 8.1 64Bit Pro works Just Fine.......

It's the same old era for some of the community, no means to import their 3D creation into Trainz or TANE.

Hi
Now it’s come a releas Tane: simulator.

It is still not possible to download or maybe not compatible DLC. I don’t know but, it not Downloads in any case not down some of what I’ve bought.

I’m sick, this is to throw sand in the eys of the people. On the Web
page where you buy Tane: simulator says that you can have access to 250 000
Object in download station.

Most support not Tane: simulator including
this new Nickel high speed Train support not Tane: simulator.

Is there any point, to download. Or buy the DLC on your website

I have purchased a lot of part DLC payware , no support or no downloads.

I have just get the Trainsimulator 2015, it is better an more fun than this. Not so much error to.

Editor is a lowgrade.

T.Alnes

It was stated many times by different people when Tane was first bought to the public's attention - that backwards compatibility would cripple the game. We were also told that anything that works in TS12 would work in Tane. Well only time will tell if those statements are true or not. Im sure a lot of folk have already made up their minds on both.

Hi
Now it’s come a releas Tane: simulator.

It is still not possible to download or maybe not compatible DLC. I don’t know but, it not Downloads in any case not down some of what I’ve bought.

I’m sick, this is to throw sand in the eys of the people. On the Web
page where you buy Tane: simulator says that you can have access to 250 000
Object in download station.

Most support not Tane: simulator including
this new Nickel high speed Train support not Tane: simulator.

Is there any point, to download. Or buy the DLC on your website

I have purchased a lot of part DLC payware , no support or no downloads.

I have just get the Trainsimulator 2015, it is better an more fun than this. Not so much error to.

Editor is a lowgrade.

T.Alnes

Actually, two of the DLC packs can be purchased using the Purchase Content button on the T:ANE Launcher.

Shane

I appreciate that there are community members out there developing the interfaces and conversions for each new release of TRAINZ. Having worked on system testing and conversion teams, I know the difficulty of that process and the fact that that is the bear that no one usually addresses or wants to address when looking at the sparking brand new object before their eyes. It is the bear that has to be encountered and dealt with whenever a new method is put into place. The testing must be done not only of the new sparkler itself but also of the processes and required implementations that will allow the transformation and movement of data from that old worn and tarnished one to the new one. For success, it must be clear that, balance, compatibility and responsibility all must be considered with the taking on of the new. Congratulations and thanks to those of you who work on this to benefit others in the community.

With regard to routes, afraid I've had to kick my efforts into touch until N3V get some serious optimisation into their "new" game engine. After a weekend of TANE Surveyor locking up and constantly red lining hardware (even after closing the programme TANE.exe runs on), enough is enough. Gone back to Trainz 2010/TS2015 for route building for the time being.

As an aside, if either N3V or fellow community members want an example of how N3V *should* have done it, suggest buy the early access version of Dirt Rally off Steam. Even in early access/beta, this game looks and runs about 500% better than TANE does in its so called release version. I'm not sure what game engine Codemasters use but not only does it look like a 2015 game should, it runs at high settings even on my laptop and like a hot knife through butter on the desk top. So to misquote old Tony Blair, the main thing on N3V's mind needs to be, "Optimisation, Optimisation, Optimisation."

Lets sort out the content "fixing" first - how do you expect a Newbie user to fix 1000 plus faulty TGA to TEXTURE issues - you don't! N3V must take major responsibility for this issue with Tane and fix it or send me a program that will find - change all the TGA's to .texture!!!

I agree big time! N3V should've made TANE more backwards compatible because currently AFAIK there aren't that many assets that are fully compatible with TANE. Take the Reading & Northern route for example. Back in the TS12 version, it worked flawlessly with no content errors whatsoever. But after importing into TANE with all of the necessary dependencies, it now shows almost half of them being faulty due to, as you mentioned, the now unsupported texture formats. Now this means that the community has to play "catch up" and fix their content which is going to take a good minute or two. Until then, I'll be forced to stick with TS12. I just pray that N3V doesn't end up being like Dovetail who don't give two rats about the train simming community.

Wow guys a new ERA of moans, groans, cries of not more content to correct again.

Think you'll all be finished fixing stuff by the time I can afford a new computer to run TANE?

Luv Karen

Old to New

Hi all.

I have started work on the TRS 2006 UK. Cambridge to Liverpool Street Map that I created for the use of. In the old 2006 Issue of Trainz.

The new issue will be for use with TANE.

The route will be based on the former pre 1900's that will include from the main line a branch line at Audle End via Saffron walden Acrows sidings & the Ashdon Hault. Then connecting with the Main Haverhill Suffolk line back to Cambridge..

The main Cambridge Line will include all Stations along the route to the final Terminal at Liverpool Street London.
As the mainline was a little short of intresting industries around the early part of the 1900's I have decided to place more modern Industies along the Main Line for the keen Goods operators. There will be a full compliment of Rail Stations too.

At this point I would like to find out if any one would like to help with this venture?

Please tag your wish's and details to this notice thank you.

Last edited:
You know the best thing that could be done for me is to point me to a plugin for 3dsmax 2015...

or atleast I did read that there was a guide to making a plugin somewhere that was done by arane a while back maybe that would still be useful..

Wasn't TANE introduced to us as "full backwards compatibility" during the Kickstarter campaign? If it works in the latest build of TS2012 it will work in TANE.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
A TANE QUERY

Just out of interest Ian, have you found any similar methods for the default.im errors?

Shane
Good morning Shane,
I am a noddy when it comes to running TRAINZ or TANE. I have no interest whatsoever in frame rates or speed trees or stuttering etc etc. Looking through the Forum, you appear to be the only guy who understands just what people want and it is to you that I am turning.
I have bought TANE Build 76401 and I am quite satisfied with it. My hobby is 00 gauge model railways and this computer run stuff is a little mind boggling.
As a model railway enthusiast, when I set off for Edinburgh from Kings Cross, I am always in the camera "chase" mode which is about as near to model railways as I can get.
There are a couple of problems with which you may be able to help.
I cannot but feel quite proud at amassing one thousand points and a gold star on the journey BUT when the sunflower suddenly appears, my points are almost completely wiped out. I have done some on line research into this and the answer, in all cases has been the driver acknowledges. How does he do it in TANE? I've tried "Insert", "Spacebar" and clicking that little light blue button. Nothing happens except the aforementioned loss of points and a continuous, very noisy buzz that will not cease, even when the sunflower disappears. It appears to be quite a common problem and completely spoils the game. Another thing - when I set off from Kings Cross there are always a few other trains in the same session. Most of these are shown as cancelled but are still there, in the way, on tracks. I've tried many times to move them or get rid of them, but I can't. I'm so sorry to have taken so much of your time over this. Please excuse a silly old bugger.
Yours aye
Peter Feiler
PS Are you going to have a TANE helpline?

The non-stop noisy buzz is a known issue that's due to be fixed by N3V. However, from my experience and from what others have posted, Ctrl and Insert is the key for reacting to the AWS.

In terms of the other locos, I've got a feeling that may be a session-related bug that needs reporting in the T:ANE bug report thread as others may have the same issue, although there's a good chance that they are non-movable by anyone other than the session creator(s) or N3V.

One thing I do believe in though is that the only stupid question is the one that's not asked.

Shane

P.S. I'm unlikely to have a T:ANE helpline but will help out as much as I can on here.

TANE HELP

The non-stop noisy buzz is a known issue that's due to be fixed by N3V. However, from my experience and from what others have posted, Ctrl and Insert is the key for reacting to the AWS.

In terms of the other locos, I've got a feeling that may be a session-related bug that needs reporting in the T:ANE bug report thread as others may have the same issue, although there's a good chance that they are non-movable by anyone other than the session creator(s) or N3V.

One thing I do believe in though is that the only stupid question is the one that's not asked.

Shane

P.S. I'm unlikely to have a T:ANE helpline but will help out as much as I can on here.

Hello Shane
I am most grateful for your very prompt and helpful reply. I'll try CTRL INSERT.
Yours aye
Peter Feiler

Back