Thread: N3V Replies

Default N3V Replies

Guys,

As you can see, this forum is pretty popular at the moment- which is great! The downside of course is that the more threads we have in flight, the less time that I can afford to spend with each one. You'll probably notice that there are some that I haven't replied to yet- these are areas where the topic really deserves several hours of attention before I can give a meaningful reply. I will get to these, but it could be days or even weeks for some of them. My apologies in advance if your topic falls into this category.

I would like to encourage everybody with knowledge on a given topic to post your own thoughts. Don't wait for me to reply. Some of you are already doing this, which is great. If you manage to solve a problem (or narrow it down to a bug) before I get to it, then even better. In a lot of cases, my first reply will basically just be asking for more clarification and trying to narrow down the underlying issues, which I'm sure you're capable of doing as a group without my help.

One thing I'm considering doing, to help avoid things falling between the cracks, is to moderate the various threads once they seem to have died down and I'm happy that I've answered them to the best of my ability. This will involve putting an icon against the thread to indicate that it's been finished to our satisfaction. If you disagree with such a marking, you can PM me explaining why and I'll reopen the topic.

Let me know if this sounds fair, or if you have a better suggestion?

cheers,

chris

Sounds good to me, now off with you to do some more tweaking and improving with TANE .

VinnyBarb

United States of America, Oregon, Portland

That sounds reasonable to me.

Curtis

Blog Entries

Sounds good to me too. Perhaps for the issues that might take you a while to respond, you could add a simple post like:

"Noted, but we haven't an answer as yet. If I haven't responded in (name a period) please jog my memory by PM."

That way the topic can remain pending until an answer is provided.

Paul

Sounds like a good plan, I've always been a fan of threads on tech sites being marked as solved in some way!
    Malc

Sounds good.

You might also consider an icon to indicate that input from you or your team is awaited :-)

Quote Originally Posted by andi06 View Post
    You might also consider an icon to indicate that input from you or your team is awaited :-)
    I think that's implied by the fact that you're posting in this forum; there are plenty of other forums to use for general discussion.

It would be nice to be able to use the icon tagging for passing forward and backward, but I don't think standard users can edit the thread icon (correct me if i'm wrong here?)

chris

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post
    As you can see, this forum is pretty popular at the moment- which is great!
    Dialogue with N3V is clearly a popular move - there hasn't been a post in the beta forum in two days.

There were a number of statements of intention made when this forum was first set up, sharing information about your current progress for instance. Further suggestions were made by email to members. Little or none of this seems to have come to fruition.

I quite understand that you can't answer every post when you have nothing to add but there are lot of outstanding issues left hanging with no input. Some of them at least deserve a holding reply, 'noted, I'll come back to you' or 'we need to put this on ice until we are working in that area again'.

If N3V really want to see TANE content coming through then, give the current flaky state of the game, you need to address content creation issues in good time. If you don't do so we will either give up or we will end up introducing hacks and workarounds which may cause issues in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by andi06 View Post
    Some of them at least deserve a holding reply, 'noted, I'll come back to you' or 'we need to put this on ice until we are working in that area again'.
    I don't really agree with the idea of such a reply. It's counter-productive- it makes the forum thread appear as if it has been answered, both bumping the thread for everybody watching, and also leaving the thread with myself (or someone else from N3V) as the most recent poster.

I think we're all mature enough to understand that not all questions can be answered immediately, and that the very presence of a thread on this forum indicates a topic which needs an answer. If it's posted here, then you know I've read it, so if I haven't replied then it's because I currently have nothing constructive to offer beyond what has already been said on the thread.

chris

edit: to be clear, if we're definitely *not* going to do something, I will reply and make that obvious.

I've also started the process (as per above) of tagging "resolved" threads with a green thumbs-up icon, and closing them to new replies. If you are the OP of one of these threads, and your question has not been answered to your satisfaction, then PM me a link to the thread and i'll reopen it.

If you are otherwise interested in a closed thread but are not the OP, then you may start your own thread referencing the original, but please keep in mind the usual guidelines: be ready to answer any questions that arise relating your thread; don't simply copy/paste or "me too" somebody else's comments without giving them serious thought.

cheers,

chris