Windows 10

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
This evening, I received a notification from Windows that I can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29 (I think it was the 29th---not sure). Will this allow me to upgrade my DirectX to ver. 11? Or does that depend on other factors?

What will be the benefits of Windows 10 over 7?

Anyone know?

Thanks in Advance,

Dave Snow

Windows 10 was/is just basically Windows 7 that looks like Windows 8. It has the whole Windows button in the bottom left corner, but it's more, err- Windows 8-y. I dev-ed it for a while, but it gave Trainz some strange problems. It's pretty good though.

I don't know, but when I saw the Win 10 icon appear on my taskbar last night, I clicked the "reserve a copy" option.

There are dozens of reviews about Windows 10, just Google to find them.

I am currently running Windows 10 Tech Preview. It's one heck of a step above Windows 8.x. The current build, which is still a bit buggy, 10130 is extremely fast.

There are some added benefits too such as multiple desktops, beyond the 2 if you have dual monitors. You can have as many multiple desktops as you can handle, meaning you can set up some for development, another for web browsing, and another for something else and so on.

So far every program I have installed has run fine or better than it did with Windows 8.x and even better than Windows 7. The performance is seen in most things that require file access such as running TS12 and even running and opening up T:ANE.

I can't wait until the final release comes out this summer.

John

This evening, I received a notification from Windows that I can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29 (I think it was the 29th---not sure). Will this allow me to upgrade my DirectX to ver. 11? Or does that depend on other factors?

What will be the benefits of Windows 10 over 7?

Anyone know?

Thanks in Advance,

Dave Snow

Hi Dave
Windows 7 already includes DirectX 11. The main factor here, for DirectX 11, is if your graphics card supports it. If your graphics card does not support it, then you will be restricted to the version that is supported by your graphics card's hardware.

Regards

Hi Dave, its not only the OS that is needed to support DirectX11,12 but also your graphics card, do you know if your graphics supports it? If yes, then the next thing to do is find out if your computer will run Win 10, if there is Win 10 drivers for all your hardware, memory requirements etc. What software are you running now that might not be Win 10 compatible (older versions of photoshop or dvd software for example or similar).

I haven't seen what Microsoft are offering yet through their icon, if it is just an upgrade, or if it is a full version, but if it is just an upgrade version (meaning that you already need a version of windows installed on your computer first), here is probably and possibly one of the biggest traps for people in upgrading to Win10. If you are upgrading from Win XP or any other 32bit OS, all you will upgraded to is Win10 32bit, you cannot (using an upgrade version) upgrade a 32bit installation to a 64bit installation. To upgrade to a 64bit installation, you need to do a clean install of another 64bit OS to start with. You could download a Win7 64bit installation .ISO and install that without a product key and then upgrade it to Win10 provided that MS provide you with a Win10 product ID key so you can activate it, but as I say, I don't know yet what they are providing regarding their Win10 upgrade. I will be upgrading one of my laptops when I have some bandwidth spare sometime within the next week to find out more.
Cheers.

Edit: Several posts have been posted while I wrote this, so some of it is repeating what has already been said a bit. Sorry.

Last edited:
But here's my question:

How does it do with Trainz 12 and / or T:ANE? Does it work with these or not?
I have had TANE CE running in the Dev Versions of Win10 and so have several others here, but I haven't had the official release running in Win10. I was quite impressed by how smooth TANE CE ran in Win10, but I cant say if that's any indicator regarding the final release of TANE or the final release of Win10. I think we can safely say TANE will work in Win10, however I haven't tried TS12. My bet would be if TS12 works in Win 8.1, then is should work in Win10 - but Im guessing. Also see John's post further up for some good info.

Actually, I think I have a correction to make. I think the upgrade is only available to Win 7 and 8/8.1 users isn't it? I don't think XP or Vista uses quality. It would still be important to watch your version as there are still some Win7 and 8 32bit installations on computers, so if youre thinking of upgrading just for the purpose of TANE, make sure you're starting with a 64bit installation.

Actually, I think I have a correction to make. I think the upgrade is only available to Win 7 and 8/8.1 users isn't it? I don't think XP or Vista uses quality. It would still be important to watch your version as there are still some Win7 and 8 32bit installations on computers, so if youre thinking of upgrading just for the purpose of TANE, make sure you're starting with a 64bit installation.

Yes, Windows 7 and 8/8.1. And I already have Windows 7 in 64Bit. So perhaps all I need do is invest in a new Graphics Card and more RAM???

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Build 7601
Service Pack: Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 (2666.7 MHz)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T DELUXE (Intel X58 (Tylersburg 36S) + ICH10R)
Memory: 8 GBytes (Dual-Channel)
Hard Drive: Seagate ST3500413AS (476,940 MBytes (500 GB))
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5

Yes, Windows 7 and 8/8.1. And I already have Windows 7 in 64Bit. So perhaps all I need do is invest in a new Graphics Card and more RAM???

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Build 7601
Service Pack: Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 (2666.7 MHz)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T DELUXE (Intel X58 (Tylersburg 36S) + ICH10R)
Memory: 8 GBytes (Dual-Channel)
Hard Drive: Seagate ST3500413AS (476,940 MBytes (500 GB))
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5

That would definitely help. If you can do it, I recommend bringing your RAM up to at least 16GB, or even maximize the amount of RAM your mother board takes. The video card, unfortunately I know little about ATI cards, but you need something for reasonable frame rates so see if you can get something similar at least to a GTX780Ti which I have.

Regarding Windows 10 64-bit. Everything I have thrown at it, runs fine if it ran or runs under Windows 8.1, it'll run under Windows 10. Windows 7 follows suit..., but before you jump for the upgrade or fresh install, run Microsoft's compatibility checker when that comes out. That will determine what might need to be updated or not.

As far as Trainz goes, I will repeat that both TS12 and T:ANE perform nicely. I find the overall performance much faster on both in Windows 10 compared to Windows 8.1 which I was using previously. With Windows 10, there is also no worry about needing to install stuff as Administrator. This is now transparent for most programs except for a few that might be a special case. With TS12 I used to run as Administrator under all previous versions of Windows except Windows XP, because that was a requirement. Doing so under Window 10, however, proved to be a different matter and actually caused some odd file access issues. I found with Windows 10, I had to remove that option and TS12 has even been performing better than it did.

Hope this explains... and I'm sure others will help with your video card.

John

Dave, here is a pretty handy graph on where graphic cards are today based on their performance, it is make up from users results, so is a not bad indicator. See if you can find your card on it.

My card is a GXT670 ranked 24th, its ok, around 30fps, but drops like a rock when heavy trees etc are close by. I would recommend trying to get into the top 10 if your budget goes that far for good results, maybe top 10~15 for better-then-average and top15~20 for average fps.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Cheers.

I have the P6T from ASUS, also. 24 GB is the maximum. But, you might consider adding in a different SATA controller in one of the slots for SATA III, the onboard is only SATA II. Core i7 975 Extreme Edition CPU here. You should keep CPU upgrade in the back of your mind if upgrading everything on it. GTX 980 w/AC 2.0 (eVGA brand) for my GPU. SSDs will help a lot.

Paul

I also received the notification to reserve Windows 10 for its release.

The message states that is is the Full version of Windows 10 not just a trial that you will be receiving when the product is launched.

The 3 Gig download will be delivered to your machine prior to the official release, and you will be notified via e-mail when it is ready for you to install it at that time or at a time you decide is easiest for you.

I have also been running the insider version for the last 6 months on a laptop, tried installing to a new Blue Series 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive and that one died, at least it was replaced by Western Digital. I am looking at a Hybrid Hard Drive to install in this system and place 10 on that drive for a test run of the current hardware I just upgraded to. Once i pick that up I will let everyone know what I find in running TANE, and if I get it installed Trainz 12 also.

That listing of video cards is really nice.... I just changed out from a 660ti to the 970, so jumped from 36th to 6th on that list.

Last edited:
Back