Massive Performance issue in TANE

drchoi21

I have R9 295X2 and i7 5960X, which are the top of the line hardware you can buy today, and frankly I have serious fps issues as the game only runs at about 10fps at low settings. Any one can fix this issue?

What graphics card are you running on both?

The R9 295X2 is a graphics card. It's essentially a pair of R9 290X's on one PCB, and presently the fastest single board card available.

As far as I am aware, T:ANE cannot make use of crossfire / SLI setups (If this is true, why is it not a priority?), so one of the GPU's on the card may be under utilised as one factor?

Just noticed that you are showing T:ANE CE in your time line? what build are you running? As every one else seems to be showing T:ANE std or T:ANE dlx

OK that rules that out, for one moment I thought you might have still been on CE, which could have explained it.
both cards at 100% sounds like it should be working ok?

Not something like an AV program scanning on file access slowing things down?

Are you using the latest drivers for those cards? Perhaps a version or two previous, you never know what may have broken.
Are there others with the same hardware also having the same issue? Not to rain on this parade but how about the same computer with top line NVidia cards instead?

The R9 295X2 is a graphics card. It's essentially a pair of R9 290X's on one PCB, and presently the fastest single board card available.
Doh! Thanks for that, shows I don't have an ATi graphics card ah lol. After looking it up, it seems like quite a high performer. I wonder if it doesn't like Direct X. Are your graphics drivers up to date?
Can you give some stats, what areas are the frames rates low, whats it like around wooded areas or builtup areas, are we talking 30fps or 5 sort of thing?

Just re-ran the C&O Thurmond Empties test. During the first 4 miles, FPS is between 50 and 60, GPU load is around 98% at a temp of 76C. All this using only a GTX870m. That Titan should run rings around it. Still using driver 352.86 Got the invite to upgrade to 353.06 and will do it soon.

I have loaded kickstarter county and it ran around 15-30fps, at low settings, and this was on the new SSD with new copy of Windows 8.1

Something definitely not right with your frame rates, should be no problems your system.

Getting 35 to 40 fps on Kickstarter County all settings on high, i7-37770K, GTX970 16GB DDR3, TANE on 480GB Crucial M500 SSD.
Or
25 to 30 FPS with Phenom II 1090T, 8GB DDR3, GTX680, 8 DDR, TANE on 1TB 5400 RPM WD Green.

drchoi21 - What screen resolution are you driving? Are you running a multi-monitor set-up?

There are some new drivers available from AMD for the R9 series cards which I installed a day or two ago.
(Driver version: 15.20.1046-150622a-186188C - Catalyst Version: 15.7)
Apart from an immediate BSOD on Windows Media Center on startup of my TV tuner (fixed by a reboot) it appears to run everything well - including T:ANE.

Hope that makes a difference for you.
Your problem appears to be the poor-to-zero Crossfire support built in to T:ANE. Even though it appears that your GPU is running at 100%, it is likely that only one unit is actually being maxed out.

As a guide, I run an Asus R9-280X at 1170Mhz on a ViewSonic 1920 by 1080 monitor at 60Hz and get better frame-rates than you're reporting with the following typical settings:
Draw Distance 6000m
All graphics settings to max except trees, which I have on 'High' instead of 'Ultra'.
Shadows are set to 'Low', with Main Shadow Resolution set to 4096. (That's the crucial one for me! - If I turn shadows OFF I get a steady 60 FPS for most scenarios and much worse if I turn shadows on to High or Ultra.)
Anti-aliasing is set to 8X
Post Processing = High
Use multiple render threads/ Use texture streaming/ Use PhysX simulation/ Process objects behind camera are all ticked/ applied.
Finally, T:ANE has been set to run Full screen at the monitor's default settings

Currently my rig is powered by an Intel i7 4790K running at 4Ghz to 4.4Ghz standard.

Was considering adding another R9-280X to the box to run T:ANE in Crossfire, but your experience tells me to hold off that notion and go for a single more powerful card.

Will be interested to see if the new drivers show any better performance on your R9 295X2.
Cheers! PC

CPU intensive

I have R9 295X2 and i7 5960X, which are the top of the line hardware you can buy today, and frankly I have serious fps issues as the game only runs at about 10fps at low settings. Any one can fix this issue?

i've got a 7970 on an asus P9x79 with an intel 3930 CPU. i'm getting a little better than you at about 20 FPS for kickstarter nickleplate. i'm overclocking to 4.2 Gz to get that. even going to 4.3 helps a little more, but i don't like to run the 3930 that hot. i was looking at getting a new gtx 1080 ti for better performance with trainz, but there's a fellow down below who's running trainz with a Gforce Titan, which is way better than my 7970, and he's not getting that great performance either. I think this means that the CPU is more important for these sims than the video card. I'll still get the gtx 1080, because some flight simmers are saying that textures and colors are better than even the gtx 1070's -- the prior hot card.

i'm thinking that overclocking a very fast intel to about 7Gz might give me 60 FPS for a very dense layout, with maxed graphics. i think people get 7 Gz with water cooled systems running on vodka. four cards back, i'd run harlem line at 11 FPS and think i had something going. but, that was sort of unplayable too.

i've got a 7970 on an asus P9x79 with an intel 3930 CPU. i'm getting a little better than you at about 20 FPS for kickstarter nickleplate. i'm overclocking to 4.2 Gz to get that. even going to 4.3 helps a little more, but i don't like to run the 3930 that hot. i was looking at getting a new gtx 1080 ti for better performance with trainz, but there's a fellow down below who's running trainz with a Gforce Titan, which is way better than my 7970, and he's not getting that great performance either. I think this means that the CPU is more important for these sims than the video card. I'll still get the gtx 1080, because some flight simmers are saying that textures and colors are better than even the gtx 1070's -- the prior hot card.

i'm thinking that overclocking a very fast intel to about 7Gz might give me 60 FPS for a very dense layout, with maxed graphics. i think people get 7 Gz with water cooled systems running on vodka. four cards back, i'd run harlem line at 11 FPS and think i had something going. but, that was sort of unplayable too.

According to Chris Bergmann (Windwalkr) the lead programmer here for N3V, T:ANE is pretty heavy on the GPU so might want to reconsider that. Given that the Ti version is now going for what the base did last year, it's not a bad deal. I've even seen them a bit less from EVGA.

The other thing too is if you're overclocking your CPU, you might see a performance loss anyway because as the CPU heats up, it'll throttle its self down to prevent meltdown. It's a feature found in the Intel processors which has been there for years.

According to Chris Bergmann (Windwalkr) the lead programmer here for N3V, T:ANE is pretty heavy on the GPU so might want to reconsider that. Given that the Ti version is now going for what the base did last year, it's not a bad deal. I've even seen them a bit less from EVGA.

The other thing too is if you're overclocking your CPU, you might see a performance loss anyway because as the CPU heats up, it'll throttle its self down to prevent meltdown. It's a feature found in the Intel processors which has been there for years.

Thanks, jcitron.

i've got to save up for the 1080 ti, and when i'm ready to buy in July the price will maybe have normalized to suggested retail price.

Thanks, jcitron.

i've got to save up for the 1080 ti, and when i'm ready to buy in July the price will maybe have normalized to suggested retail price.

I've been considering the same. I always wait a bit after first release of anything to let the bugs get worked out and let the prices settle as well, but this time I'll be waiting a bit longer.

Today my budget got eaten by a hotbox. My Jeep's left brake caliper got stuck, started smoking, then caught fire when I pulled into my driveway. A quick splash with some water and a dowsing with the hose put it out.

Back