A question of distance

AntonyVW

One for the UK rail fans. The fences that boarder the track. How far from the track are they normally (excluding cuttings and embankments)?

I think that's a quite a variable - for instance the boundary fence on the north side of the line are set nearly 20 feet from the trackbed, probably the land was bought with doubling in mind.

The GCR bought a much wider strip (even allowing for the double track) than the K&ESR for example.

Looking at some large scale maps I've got of this area says that the WCML Northampton loop (double track) is about 45 feet wide between the boundary fences.

hth,

Anthony

Last edited:
Somewhere I have a very old copy of Railway Modeller (1956) which gives all minimum dimensions - the problem is, I can't lay my hands on it at the moment as all my magazines have been moved during a recent domestic upheaval!

However, something to bear in mind is that if the tracks are on an embankment, the fencing is usually at the bottom; if in a cutting, then the fencing is usually at the top. Note I say usually as there are exceptions to every rule!

For track on the level, I usually lay fencing splines so that the spinning circles just touch the outside of the nearest rail. It may not be correct, but it looks OK to me!

I'll keep looking for that magazine as I refer to it frequently!

Ray

Back