Re-engining SD40-2's and older models of engines

Back in the day, railroads re-engined Alco's and Baldwin's with EMD engines. Do you think that older types of EMD will get re-engined with GE engines? I could see Norfolk Southern doing this, because of their Dash 8.5 rebuilds, and their extensive roster of SD40-2's.

I honestly doubt it. GE engines all have those giant Radiators on the back that would require some pretty intensive body mods to EMD locomotives.

I see more of whats already happening to EMD locomotives going forward. Stripping for parts, derating to Eco's or Lower HP to meet Emission Standards, RC-ification, or in the case of one Canadian "Remanufacturer", taking one SD 40 engine, one SD-40 Truck, and the SD 40 cab and making 3-axle Critters out of em. Someone posted the link to their site, it was kind of ingenious IMHO.

Edited to add: Acutally, I don't think they were using the SD40 engines.... Can't remember what engine they were using....

-Falcus

That was what I thought. It might work if GE modified their loco bodies specifically for re-engining.

Yea, but they won't. GE has a working product. If it ain't broke don't fix it. They would have to be incentivized to do that, and I don't think the government's gonna do that.

-Falcus

There are companies though that do rebuild various locomotives. They will take an existing SD40-2, ready for the scrap heap by a Class I, and rebuild and replace the engine with something else and sell it. Caterpillar makes the EMD engines now and there are various models, as well as replacement parts for the older EMD engines. As far as fitting in a GE, that won't work due to the design. Morris & Knudsen did this for the MBTA. They rebuilt the old GM&O E and F-units in to F-10s, or something like that. The "Easter Egg" units ran with strings of rebuilt-Budd cars for about a decade afterwards.

NRE is one of the more current companies.

https://youtu.be/A0eAIq7HQ6E

John

CSX has been rebuilding some of its aging SD40-2s into so-called "SD40-3" locomotives that end up looking like this one:
csx_sd40-3_4013.jpg

According to the CSX press release from a few years back:

CSX’s SD40-2 fleet is approaching the end of its useful life. The company is implementing a program to rebuild the fleet, boosting the horsepower, technologic capabilities and safety of each unit.

“Current plans call for rebuilding 300 locomotives at a rate of about 40 per year,” said Gary Bethel, vice president-Mechanical. “The goal is to add another 25 to 30 years of useful life to these locomotives.”

Every system and component on the locomotive has been reviewed to determine if the components used on new locomotives would be an improvement in the performance, reliability, and maintainability of the locomotive. The improvements will include:

New crashworthy cabs
Heating and air conditioning systems
New control system
Positive train control
Modernized starting systems

The improvements will yield 3,000 horsepower, six-axle locomotives for the fleet. Their tractive power will increase from 86,000 to about 130,000 pounds, making them capable of doing the work of more modern high-horsepower units in all types of freight service including intermodal and coal.

The new crashworthy cabs are being manufactured by Motive Power in Boise, Idaho, and the rebuilding work is being done by the Huntington, W.Va., Locomotive Shop. “We determined that a new crashworthy cab is the right thing to do for the safety of our crews,” said Bethel. “We want to provide the safest work environment possible.” The older cabs were not suitable for modifications to meet crashworthy standards, he said.

“We have every confidence in the quality of work performed by the Huntington Locomotive Shop employees,” said Bethel. “The craftsmen there look out for each other and are proud of the work they are doing.”

Back in the day, railroads re-engined Alco's and Baldwin's with EMD engines. Do you think that older types of EMD will get re-engined with GE engines? I could see Norfolk Southern doing this, because of their Dash 8.5 rebuilds, and their extensive roster of SD40-2's.
Nope...... Besides massive mods that would need to occur, it just wouldn't make sense when you can still find an abundance of parts for EMD 645's. In fact, locally, I know of a GP30M, and a couple GP35's that were repowered from 567's to 645's. SD40-3's and SD40E's are mostly the same SD40-2 and SD40's we love, just with some nice computers, better engines to meet pollution standards, and better traction motors to allow that extra HP to be delivered to the wheels correctly.
Here's the inside scoop of why UP, NS and CSX are even doing this: If traffic spikes again, you're going to see the actual power shortage that is currently being hidden right now. It popped up last year and was very noticeable when a dead line of about 120 C40-8's, SD60's, SD40-2's, and SD60M's were called back into action. It was the first time in quite sometime that I got to see an SD60 doing something other than a local job. With EMD tier 4 units a distant future right now, and the Tier 4 GEVO's not in the full production stage just yet, you are about to see that SD40 really is the best locomotive model ever made because they are so easy to work on and they just simply don't quit, but right now, they aren't TE efficient nor fuel efficient as one post brings up they only do 86,000lbs of effort. Right now, most modern locomotives are doing about 140,000lbs of effort easily with most of the time 180,000lbs of starting force. However, Class 1's have found out through shortlines that with some work, they can easily become more fuel efficient and TE efficient which can extend their usefulness for at least another 10-15 years into the future.

Last edited:
Back