Are you a rail photographer??

Lovely shots John, how did you manage to escape the rain we've had today ?? Cannot remember the Rileys ( or anyone else from Westhouses Depot ) I'm sorry to say, but things didn't change much over the years at Beeston, and they did have enough sidings for a bit of shunting on occassions. The White chimney you mentioned is connected to the University of Nottingham's campus facility, which is still there I am happy to advise....Ohhh, and my old man worked at Plessey Telecommunications plant in Beeston, shown in your other photo, along with half the residents of Beeston and Chilwell, the other half all worked at the Boots plant :hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Thanks Sean, I now know a little more about locos over the pond. Is this a museum line or just a small company buying second hand locos?

Mark, thanks for the pictures at Leeds. I remember being disappointed when a TransPennine DMU rolled up instead of a class 40 or Peak on the Manchester service. I don't think I ever wasted(!) a single frame of film on one. Shame on me.

John
John--
The LA&L is a small shortline, well, i shouldnt say 'small' but anyways, its got good size, and it is really buying as many locomotives as possible, all ALCos currently. At this stage, all of them do run, but the 11 that are coming in are having their gutz swapped for i believe EMD internals.
I cant wait to see that operation.:eek: :udrool:
Cheers,
Sean

Welcome to the new faces!:D Mr Cook, I notice that you photographed in the rain, does this mean that the Australian drought problems reported over here have eased a little? We had bad floods round here recently but most people recovered very quickly.

We did have our own floods in Newcastle in NSW and in the Gippsland reagion of VIC.
The dams are going up around .3% The have eased a bit but there are still a few places thast still have drought.

The old favourite!

No prizes for which train this is! For a change we went to see it go over Kirkstall Road Viaduct, Leeds. We were standing on Canal Road, Armley near the Industrial Museum. (Worth a visit cos there's a few Leeds built locos in there, including a very early diesel shunter)

20070816armley0007kk2.jpg

20070816armley0008dn5.jpg

20070816armley0009og4.jpg

And the sun shone again! Well we are Yorkshiremen after all!:p

I found these around the house.
lethbridgegx3.jpg

BL26 leads 10 or so locos at Lethbridge.
42211gx3.jpg

42211 in Spencer Street.
a60kz4.jpg

A60 in Spencer Street.
hitachiww6.jpg

A 6 car Hitachi approches Sunshine on a St. Albans.

Very nice photos all:)
Some edited ones from me. All are copyright.
100_0788.jpg

5164 at Bewdley. 10th March 2007.
1501and42698.jpg

Cropped photo of 42968 and 1501 at Bridgnorth. 23rd September 2006
bedley.jpg

5164 at Bewdley. 23rd September 2006
brad.jpg

7802 'Bradley Manor' at Kidderminster. 8th August 2006
edit.jpg

1501 at Bridgnorth. 23rd September 2006
edit3.jpg

7827 at Kingswear. 11th August 2007
edit2.jpg

7827 at Kingswear. 11th August 2007

Photostitched:

(click to go big - magnifying glass to go bigger still [EDIT: You need to be patient while it comes into focus])

I've usd the thumbnail because the original is ~7500px wide - I don't think Auran would appreciate this :confused:

BidMod.

Last edited:
Today entailed a visit to Ulleskelf to see 46233 Duchess of Sutherland soon after leaving York for Carlisle on a Cumbrian Mountain Express. Not the most photogenic spot but a good section of high speed line. Perfect for a Flying Duchess!

The visit started badly as soon we arrived. A class 67 shot through dragging an Inter City 125, no photo!:confused:

I picked this shot of the Duchess, please excuse another flipping railcar in this practice photo! I've just noticed that it looks like its running on the platform!;)

20070818armley0006ie3.jpg

We were then treated to the Network Measurement Train, I'd gone straight off a 10 hour night shift and managed to cut off the back of the train!:confused:

20070818armley0010vw7.jpg

Then another yellow peril arrived (MerseyRail livery) on its way to York.:(

20070818armley0002wo2.jpg

Despite only being about 15 mins from York, the Duchess came down the slow lines 15 mins late following the previous pacer on its return working. As the pacer had stopped at Ulleskelf the Duchess was running on single yellows and was only doing about 30 mph. No time to compose the pictures, but here they are anyway.:'(

20070818armley0014fj9.jpg

20070818armley0015bv9.jpg

John

Last edited:
Cumbrian Mountain Express

10 pm last night with challenging light [for a novice] but the sight of the LMS pacific with 12 coaches was very impressive.

Taken yesterday on a local railfanning trip. In this shot there is 2 Unit Ethanol trains passing each other, a NS Roadrailer waiting for the Ethanols to clear and a local switcher bringing intermodal equipment out from the local intermodal terminal.
pictures%5C24868%5Crailpics0001.JPG

Welcome Derby Phil, it looks like they were taken on home ground ;) , I look forwards to a few more contributors as sometimes I think people will be getting fed up of my efforts. It's been a lot of the Scarborough Spa recently as my son has suddenly shown an interest in steam locos (after 18 years!), and we can see it within 20 mins of our house. :confused:

I will keep adding a few pictures if nobody objects, but it looks like I will be very busy in the next 6 months. This is to do with real life trains, but at the moment I can not divulge any more information. Suffice to say I will post details (and pictures) when I can. I hope that the surprise will please a few people on the forum.

John

Back