Screenshot of The Week: May 3 to May 10 2015 (Modernization)

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
Greetings.

The railroad has been around for a long time and over the years, many changes have revolutionized it. Dieselisation, containerisation and electrification are just a few examples. Show us a defining moment in railroading history this week. Please send your theme suggestions for subsequent competitions via email or Skype by clicking on the little icons below my username.

One screenshot allowed per entrant. Screenshots must adhere to the theme and the Trainz Forum Code of Conduct.
Submission closes on May 11 at
12:00 noon UTC/GMT/Zulu time.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

One morning in the first few weeks of 1948, we see an ex-LMS class G2 emerging from the paint shop in a brand new British Railways livery, after the railways of Britain were nationalised. Other locomotives wait outside to receive their new British Railways livery.

(I am hoping the subject of BR's nationalisation fits the theme - I would call it a type of modernisation)

Kieran.

As WP&Y #69 heads for the roundhouse, it's replacement is readied for the day's work. Narrow gauge theme anybody?

Last edited:
Out with the old, in with the new.
Screen%20Shot%202015-05-01%20at%208.46.19%20PM_zpsdxbtyi1k.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I had made this pic a week earlier and was hoping a topic would come up that fit the theme.

A lone ex-Missouri Pacific USRA light mountain sits awaiting its fate as its modern replacements rumble past the abandoned Magnolia Falls station.

As CSX buys more and more GE Evolution Series Locomotives, their Dinosaurs are slowly being scrapped or just disappear all together...

ddab823ff91309130a2c6875375506d9.jpg

Last edited:
One morning in the first few weeks of 1948, we see an ex-LMS class G2 emerging from the paint shop in a brand new British Railways livery, after the railways of Britain were nationalised. Other locomotives wait outside to receive their new British Railways livery.

(I am hoping the subject of BR's nationalisation fits the theme - I would call it a type of modernisation)

Pic removed for your benefit...

Kieran.

With a shot that good, i don't think anyone cares! :D

Wheel sets, boiler plates and other items from steam locos at the scrappy as a modern diesel (for its time), cruises on by.

screen1.jpg

A lone ex-Missouri Pacific USRA light mountain sits awaiting its fate as its modern replacements rumble past the abandoned Magnolia Falls station.

Nice shot there Benjaminw. it reminds me of my White Pine River Railroad which I really need to get back to work on soon.

Thanks! It is a very small route, pretty much what you see with a interchange and portals, but I plan on extending it when I have time.

Early Railway Modernisation in the South of England.

With St. Paul's Cathedral in the background, Cannon Street Station, London is really busy during the week bringing commuters into and out of the City's Square Mile.

But on Saturdays it's surprisingly quiet and on this early Saturday morning, the Station Manager could easily spare two platforms for a very special event. Two preservation volunteers, dressed as Southern Railway and British Railways (Southern Region) porters are waiting to be inundated with railway history buffs and their families to explain to them about these historic exhibits that they, and their fellow preservation volunteers from all over Southern England, have been working on for years.

In the forground on the left are two really old steam locomotives from the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (LBSCR), while on the right is an example of LBSCR's 1909 electrification scheme (for South London) using overhead catenaries. Overhead power was discontinued in favour of third rail power in the South.

Behind them is a Southern Railway 2-BIL EMU (built 1935) and the famous and luxurious Brighton Belle, built in 1933 and which ran until 1972. (In fact, the Belle is due to be back on the mainline this year thanks to Britain's National Railway Museum).

LBSCR_SR_BR(S)_Modernisation.jpg

Submissions are now closed. There are 9 entries for this round so up to 2 votes are allowed. Voting will be from now until May 17, 1200nn UTC. Please post your votes below.

A small number, but still difficult to judge a definite 1, 2.
In no order:

peterwise
captainkman

210009222, I really like the detail of your image, I just don't know how it relates to the theme sorry. :(

Back