Trainz (TANE) vs Windows 10

ish6

Since 2001
Hey Trainzers!

Windows 10 will be officially release as a free upgrade by years' end, however, the beta-version is loose!

What results are you getting when launching Trainz, especially TANE?

Thanks
Ish

Hey Trainzers!

Windows 10 will be officially release as a free upgrade by years' end, however, the beta-version is loose!

Thanks
Ish

In response to your link... :)

Trainz launches great as the disk access is much faster. However, graphically TS12 is still a bit of a bear due to the inherent issues. TANE runs fine especially since it is a 64-bit application running in a 64-bit environment. I only wish there was more content to test when I did test, but I'm sure it will run fine. Remember my techy post on 64-bit operating systems. :D

What I have noticed about Windows 10 and Trainz in general, and this includes TS12 by the way, is the changes in Windows security. In the olden days, well not that olden, we needed to run Trainz as administrator for Windows Vista and up through Windows 8.x. This still holds true for those operating systems.

Windows 10, however, runs better if it's just launched from the desktop shortcut without using the options to run as administrator. It writes to the folders fine, and I can even drag and drop into Content Manager which was unavailable before with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 when running as admin. The other thing too is I no longer get the lock ups and crashes I got with Windows 8.1. There used to be "silent" crashes when exiting meaning there were reports in the Event Viewer about Trainz.exe crashing, but nothing showed up on the screen, not even a blip. I noticed though I need to run with Open/GL instead of DirectX but then again that seems to be changing between video driver versions so this might be a non-OS issue and a beta video driver from NVidia.

Anyway I hope I didn't techno-babble too much on you. :)

John

Good Morning John --

Thank you, sir, for the info, and keep us updated as you experiment more and more with TANE and windows 10; And, I'm sure the multi-desktop feature which will come in handle great those content creators working with countless of files!

Ishie

Hey John and Ishie, had to chime in on this thread. I'm using Win 10 Build 10074 to run T:ANE - it's amazing how well it works. Yesterday Nvidia released a beta driver version (352.63), and things got even better: DirectX runtime version 12.0 !!
Regards to you both, Ken

Hey John and Ishie, had to chime in on this thread. I'm using Win 10 Build 10074 to run T:ANE - it's amazing how well it works. Yesterday Nvidia released a beta driver version (352.63), and things got even better: DirectX runtime version 12.0 !!
Regards to you both, Ken

Hello there, sir ...
I just caught your reply!

You know, many people ask from the trainz world many things ... like the perfect layout, the perfect contents, the perfect engine, error free items, etc ... the list is long, but from me, and will always be like this, is the speed ... how fast does it launch? How fast can we scroll? How fast do the object window pops open, regardless of the amount of contents installed, etc .... I like when I click it's there....

Reading from what John has stated in his previous post, and now you, sir, I can't wait ... Besides the multiple-window feature that comes with windows 10, I know Microsoft really invested time and effect on gaming, since they're embedding XBOX into the OS, so we all benefit, meaning the pc game guys, and it seem from you guys reports, we will!

Marsz is vast, and now that TAME is here finally, will benefit from being a 64-bit software where it will utilized the pc's full resources!

Anything else new guys please noted it! :wave:

Thanks
Ishie

We can't say much good about TANE loading routes up quickly because everything was very locked down. Once we have the real deal in hand, we'll see how everything works and we can put it to test. At the present time some of the routes took a very, very long time to load up which was quite discouraging while some of the more complex ones loaded quickly. go figure.

John

We can't say much good about TANE loading routes up quickly because everything was very locked down. Once we have the real deal in hand, we'll see how everything works and we can put it to test. At the present time some of the routes took a very, very long time to load up which was quite discouraging while some of the more complex ones loaded quickly. go figure.

John

Good Evening John --

Now that TANE is upon us, it will be interesting ....

I can't download the digital yet because I got a power supply and video card to install tomorrow ... then let's cross our fingers! LOL

Ishie

Good Evening John --

Now that TANE is upon us, it will be interesting ....

I can't download the digital yet because I got a power supply and video card to install tomorrow ... then let's cross our fingers! LOL

Ishie

Good luck with your hardware upgrade first. I haven't done the digital download yet as I'm first waiting for the server connections to cool down, and I want to do some hard drive reconfiguring. I may get myself an SSD for boot and applications so I have a free drive setup strictly for T:ANE.

John

Good luck with your hardware upgrade first. I haven't done the digital download yet as I'm first waiting for the server connections to cool down, and I want to do some hard drive reconfiguring. I may get myself an SSD for boot and applications so I have a free drive setup strictly for T:ANE.

John

And don't forget that huge patch, sir ... Is that automatic? I was just reading about it on the patch page, and didn't see that, so gonna soon is one of those situations where TAME will ask you to patch game automatically!

Ishie

Hey Trainzers!

Thanks
Ish

I won't say years end ish6 mostly likely it will be released in summer.

So...bottom line it for me...I just got an invitation to reserve Windows 10. Should I go ahead and upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on my gaming rig? (My specs are below).

Thanks.

I'd wait for a couple of months, just because the preview works OK doesn't necessarily mean that the version that get released will.

I am running Win 10 here on an X99 M/B and a 970 Card, with the beta drivers from Nvidia and all settings maxed out I get a nice steady stutter in the game. I have run into a couple other problems with the operating system after doing a BIOS update on this board. There are enough issues that I am recommending Joe Public wait 3-6 months before migrating to Win 10.

The official release date for Windows 10 has been announced as July 29 for PC, Phone releases will occur later.

Last edited:
I fully agree ... Let the hoards jump right into a brand new OS on the 29th ... while you sit back and watch the problems that they have.

I have Windows7 and it works just fine ... and I won't jump headlong into Windows10, until Windows7 shuts down.

Why jump at something, the first day it comes out, just because it is new ?

New is not always better !

So...bottom line it for me...I just got an invitation to reserve Windows 10. Should I go ahead and upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on my gaming rig? (My specs are below).

Thanks.

If it runs Windows 8.1, it'll run Windows 10. Everything you have now that you run in Windows 8.1 will run in Windows 10.

I'm running beta still and it runs great.

John

Back