New PC build

2ndlt

Hello everyone, I am building a new PC and was wondering if what I will have will be sufficient to run TS12 and T:ANE. I currently use a ASUS GX71 laptop which has a more than a few years on it. Noticed with a lot of the more extensive routes that it just could not keep up. So decided to upgrade.

Here are the specs for the new PC, what do you think?

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

System Cooling: Liquid Cooling System

Processors: Intel Core i7 4790K Quad-Core 4.0GHz

Power Supply: 1000 Watt Corsair RM1000

Graphic Cards: Dual 4GB NVIDIA GTX 970

Memory: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz (2x8GB)

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition

Operating System Drive #1 (Primary): 1TB Hard Drive

Operating System Drive #2: 1TB Hard Drive

Optical Drive One: 12X Blu-ray Reader and DVD Combo

Optical Drive Two: 24X CD/DVD Burner

Playback Software: CyberLink PowerDVD 14 Ultra

Media Card Reader: 40-in-1 Media Card Reader

Audio: On Board High Definition 8-Channel Audio

Networking: Onboard Network Port

That should fly. I would have gone with windows 8.1, seeing as windows 10 is just around the corner for free...

1 small observation: with a setup that powerful I think your hard drives will end up bottlenecking performance, unless that's a 1TB SSD, in that case carry on.

ps. SLI-ed GTX 970s? :mop: Do you think you could do a quick test how GTAV runs at 4K 60FPS?

Last edited:
I'm so glad Windows 10 will be free. I got an email but it says that I need Windows 7 SP1 even though I already have SP1.

you might as well go with a single GTX 980, then you can run without microstutter and won't need liquid cooler.

you might as well go with a single GTX 980, then you can run without microstutter and won't need liquid cooler.

It's perfectly plausible in this instance to run SLI due to the cost difference compared to the performance gained. While not always the case with each generation of cards, this time round a pair of 970's offers a performance overhead leaps and bounds greater than a single 980 at a comparable price, providing software support is available, which is less of a problem these days.

Thanks for the responses and input everyone. I already cancelled and reordered the hard drives so SSD it is. Will be two 480GB SSDs. As it stands my folder for Trainz is 172GB so plenty of space for now... haha Still need to go back and clean out so files before I do the transfer. Hope everything will go well during that. Going to do a clean install with updates then drag and drop the User folder. I saw a few threads on moving to a new computer so I will be sure to read up on them when the time comes so I do not make a cluster of it.

nicky9499 as for GTAV, I will have to wait for my bank account to recover as I still need to purchase a monitor but my friend says it is most glorious.

Sorry for posting this here, but as I hear, TANE is going to be hard on the drives. (Anyone care for a pun?) Will a Seagate 7200 1TB work for atleast 6 months? My current main build has old Hitachi drives from 2006, still functioning. But, HDD's were better-quality, longer-lasting back then. Now?

EverTrainz,

Consider this, at our work, the IT replaces 15 or more HDD's per month with bitlocker, and other utilities munching away at the single read/write head. Each time, they replace, it is considered to go with SSD's. Turns out, the SSD's are able to tolerate the encryption/decryption imposed by bitlocker. SSD's are also coming down in price a lot. $299 for a 1 TB soon.

Paul

These days you want to buy Western Digital. Greens are great, AV-GP outstanding, and the newer Reds are rated for even higher reliability. I say these after 10 years of owning all manner of WD drives.

Can't really comment on Hitachi but some friendly advice; stay away from Seagate like the plague.

SSD longevity is something that has been tested on a variety of consumer drives and is acknowledged to be significantly greater than HDD's simply be design. The lack of moving parts does wonders for longevity, never mind read and write performance (Watch out for NVME drives using SATA Express or PCI-E as opposed to SATA3 if 6 Gigabits per second of bandwidth isn't enough for you :p).

Personally I've paired a Crucial MX100 250GB SSD for boot with a Western Digital Black 2TB for mass storage, a reliable combination one should hope since my previous WD Black 1TB is still going after 5 years. I've just picked up a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for my Ultrabook so we'll see how that goes as well!

Jack

These days you want to buy Western Digital. Greens are great, AV-GP outstanding, and the newer Reds are rated for even higher reliability. I say these after 10 years of owning all manner of WD drives.

Can't really comment on Hitachi but some friendly advice; stay away from Seagate like the plague.

Interesting having had a WD die on me before time, 500GB Sata 3, bad batch probably, it happens, got it replaced under warranty. Never had any problem with Seagate and not normally WD.

I plan to purchase a WD 1TB Black come November, so I just need this Seagate to last around 6 months. Any complaints on WD Black? They have 5-year warranty, so technically, it'll last for 5 years (if I backup every week). My Seagate only has a one-year warranty, but having to backup frequently seems tedious.

I plan to purchase a WD 1TB Black come November, so I just need this Seagate to last around 6 months. Any complaints on WD Black? They have 5-year warranty, so technically, it'll last for 5 years (if I backup every week). My Seagate only has a one-year warranty, but having to backup frequently seems tedious.

I ran a WD Black 1TB (1001fals) from 2010 till 2015 when SMART reports suggested it would die. I replaced it with a WD Black 2TB (WD2003FZEX), however the 1TB is still going in my brothers machine. I'm quite impressed with the reliability of WD drives considering all the not so positive things you hear regarding other manufacturers such as Seagate.

Interesting having had a WD die on me before time, 500GB Sata 3, bad batch probably, it happens, got it replaced under warranty. Never had any problem with Seagate and not normally WD.

I have had this issue as well and stayed away from them for quite some time because of it. Then recently, according to various reliability reports on tech sites, the word is Seagate are crap now and go for WD drives. What's interesting is the old IBM DeathStar line has better reliability than either WD or Seagate!

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ty-to-the-test-shows-not-all-disks-are-equal/

Back in my old tech days, we used to send back Hitachi/IBM SCSI drives by the box load. The system techs would gather up a dozen drives and I'd put through the multiple drive RMA just about on a monthly basis until these units were finally all replaced. The drives would start grinding and losing performance then quit suddenly.

So the thing is keep in mind that all drives are going to go through good and bad batches and go with which brand has the best reputation at that present time.

John

I have had this issue as well and stayed away from them for quite some time because of it. Then recently, according to various reliability reports on tech sites, the word is Seagate are crap now and go for WD drives. What's interesting is the old IBM DeathStar line has better reliability than either WD or Seagate!

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ty-to-the-test-shows-not-all-disks-are-equal/

Back in my old tech days, we used to send back Hitachi/IBM SCSI drives by the box load. The system techs would gather up a dozen drives and I'd put through the multiple drive RMA just about on a monthly basis until these units were finally all replaced. The drives would start grinding and losing performance then quit suddenly.

So the thing is keep in mind that all drives are going to go through good and bad batches and go with which brand has the best reputation at that present time.

John

Ever get caught out by that bad batch of Fujitsu 20 GB drives with the faulty controllers...........?

I always google everything I buy to see if there are any major problems, much safer.

Off topic but interesting discussion anyway; I did data recovery for about 2 years and most customers leave unrecoverable dead drives with me. I have a stack of them in storage and probably 80% of them are Seagates. Worst batch Seagate ever put out would be the 7200.11.

Back