Cab Mechanics - T:ANE

Falcus

So Next question. Yes, T:ANE related, and again, if no support is forth coming so be it.

The GE Cabs all flag Faulty Dependencies, and the cause are these:
<kuid2:45324:28126:2> LED Segment Green
<kuid2:45324:28125:2> LED Segment Red
(There are others listed in other Cabs as well with the same issue)

Almost every one of these throws this error:
"- Image file '0.tga' is incorrectly used as both a texture.txt source file and a raw image file."

So, simple easy fix to just replace the .tga with some random JPG right? Well, apparently not so unless you're a JR-Guy with the ability to get into a .chump file, as thats what the Config for these are..... So is there a fix for this? In the works or otherwise? It'd be simple to fix these for T:ANE Usage, its the only error that affects the cabs, and by proxy the only error that affects most of the Payware GE Unit I have from ya'll...

-Falcus

Does the .tga file also have an associated .texture.txt file in the same folder? If so, simply replace the reference to the .tga in the config file to .texture.

Shane

Hello Falcus,

Shane's suggestion should work: substituting .texture in place of .tga when you encounter this error should do the trick (If TANE's Content Manager is similar to that of TS2 Mac).

This has worked for me on all of the JR locos that exhibited this error in TS2 Mac -- freeware and payware; every JR loco I've needed to use this fix for has had matching .texture files along with the .tga files. Although I have some JR TS2 Mac payware most of the JR stuff I have installed is TS12 ready freeware and payware.

This fix could prove to be useful to make many TS12 ready assets TANE compliant (and may even prove useful in making some TS10 assets TANE compliant as well).

Hope this works for you.

Best Regards and Happy Trainzing!
--Owen

Last edited:
I know it isnt labeled for TANE but the fixes are in http://jointedrail.com/dependencies/t2-mac-updates/general-content-update2.html listed as T2 MAC updates.

When it tells you that the file is used as a .texture resource and a raw image it means that the image is called for but it also is used in a .texture file. To Trainz this means that the image (.tga .jpg .bmp etc) gets converted to a .texture when you commit the item in CM so anything referencing it as it's original file format will not find the file once it is in game.

Last edited:
@Jib
Yea, its been said. But never hurts to ask. I'm not expecting JR to re-write code for me, or TANE (At least until after release, as they've said). But a simple thing like a Config Textual Replacement had to have been considered by them at some point..... That said, I'm fully prepared for anything I ask beyond what they've already said to be ignored or flat out denied, and I said that.

@Shane
I'd do that, but the Config's are all in .chump format. To my mind, this is basic encryption. Either way nothing I've thrown at them can open these. So it seems to me without a JR Decoder Ring (Can't wait to see these as an Item of the Week), I can't do anything about it.

@owlseyii
As I understand it, the issue here is the Config that uses the same .tga file in two places. My take on this is that this very common practice amongst Content Creators has been decided by the powers that be (N3V) as something they want to curb (I could speculate as to why), so they want to make everyone provide alternate pics of their assets. This isn't a big deal for most of the assets I'm fixing, except encrypted ones ~.^.

@NS37
Thank you very much sir. I'll need to look around and test some more, but that certainly Fixed Every Faulty Asset that I allowed it to overwrite. Including the 2 I mentioned (Which should take care of all the BNSF -9s I have, lol).

@Everyone else;
to use this method in TANE, Install the Download, Copy all the listings from the "Installation Complete" Window, select "View Assets in New Window", Add "Faulty" to the Search, Delete all of those, and re-install the CDP. Easy fix, took me about 30 seconds.

Thanks again,
Falcus

If I may respond even though you were not speaking directly to me:

@Jib
Yea, its been said. But never hurts to ask. I'm not expecting JR to re-write code for me, or TANE (At least until after release, as they've said). But a simple thing like a Config Textual Replacement had to have been considered by them at some point..... That said, I'm fully prepared for anything I ask beyond what they've already said to be ignored or flat out denied, and I said that.

Most things are working in TANE as it stands now with maybe some file updates as above, we just will not officially support it until it has been released full retail.

@Shane
I'd do that, but the Config's are all in .chump format. To my mind, this is basic encryption. Either way nothing I've thrown at them can open these. So it seems to me without a JR Decoder Ring (Can't wait to see these as an Item of the Week), I can't do anything about it.

I want to point out that .chump files are what the software turns config.txt files into when they are inserted into the asset database. This is not some JR encryption but what the game uses to read configs more quickly. Opening the asset for edit should turn these back into .txt files.

@owlseyii
As I understand it, the issue here is the Config that uses the same .tga file in two places. My take on this is that this very common practice amongst Content Creators has been decided by the powers that be (N3V) as something they want to curb (I could speculate as to why), so they want to make everyone provide alternate pics of their assets. This isn't a big deal for most of the assets I'm fixing, except encrypted ones ~.^.

The actual reason is mentioned in my post. any time you install an asset the .tgas or other formats used in a .texture.txt are converted into a .texture file for use in the sim. The game itself does not use the raw file format .tga files etc internally but they are kept as source images for opening for edit (this is also why you cant open a built-in for edit and re commit it without errors - there are no sources included for built-ins to save data space). The mistake being made in the configs is that the files are marked to be converted to .texture but are also being used externally (by CM or the DLS) as raw files. Only one or the other can be practically used thus the error.

We have had several assets that came up configured incorrectly but most have been corrected by now or have files like the above that will correct them for T2 MAC 3.8 which uses nearly the same validation as TANE.

Again, TANE is not supported yet so we don't advertise it as a fix on the site. When the time comes it will be there. I just figured I could help you out with the problems you are having - unofficially of course. :)

Last edited:
If I may respond even though you were not speaking directly to me:

Your Content, your forum, you can say whatever you want. Not even counting the fact that its an open forum regardless.

Most things are working in TANE as it stands now with maybe some file updates as above, we just will not officially support it until it has been released full retail.
Yes, which I felt I addressed, at least in part.....

I want to point out that .chump files are what the software turns config.txt files into when they are inserted into the asset database. This is not some JR encryption but what the game uses to read configs more quickly. Opening the asset for edit should turn these back into .txt files.
I'll take your word for it. I've never encountered them anywhere else besides JR Files.

The actual reason is mentioned in my post. any time you install an asset the .tgas or other formats used in a .texture.txt are converted into a .texture file for use in the sim. The game itself does not use the raw file format .tga files etc internally but they are kept as source images for opening for edit (this is also why you cant open a built-in for edit and re commit it without errors - there are no sources included for built-ins to save data space). The mistake being made in the configs is that the files are marked to be converted to .texture but are also being used externally (by CM or the DLS) as raw files. Only one or the other can be practically used thus the error.
None of which is in conflict with what I said. I can speculate as to why its happening without disagreeing with your explanation as to how its happening....

Again, TANE is not supported yet so we don't advertise it as a fix on the site. When the time comes it will be there. I just figured I could help you out with the problems you are having - unofficially of course. :)
Yup, but I'll officially thank you for your help, twice now!

Have a nice day,
-Falcus

I have been a long, long time customer of Jointed Rail and I find if you ask in a polite way. Most every question you ask will be answered. It may not be what you want but they will explain their answers and help as much as possible. Jointed Rail has long been held at least in my mind as one of the best at customer support of any business I have been in contact with. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see what you have coming up for Tane.

I have been a long, long time customer of Jointed Rail and I find if you ask in a polite way. Most every question you ask will be answered. It may not be what you want but they will explain their answers and help as much as possible. Jointed Rail has long been held at least in my mind as one of the best at customer support of any business I have been in contact with. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see what you have coming up for Tane.

Not to beat a dead horse at this point (Though I may in fact be doing so), my thoughts exactly. I'm more then happy with the responses I got, and very thankful to JR for them. I realize Mr NS37 is a very busy guy and that I got the help I did was outstanding. Its rare I meet other trainzers that haven't heard of them, but I'll still upsell JR to anyone that cares to hear about em, and I think might have even the slightest interest in their products.

Cheers,
Falcus

Well, I just tried swapping the .tga for .texture in the config file and it isn't working for me. I have the same error described above. I edited the config file, saved it, then tried submitting the edit and it would freeze and crash the game every single time. I also downloaded and imported the fixes on the link at the top of this post and it didn't fix anything. Does the OP or anyone else see a mistake in what I did to fix the locos?

Thank you for the fast response, I downloaded it, imported it, and installed it with no errors. Nothing changed for me. Is it installed/imported in the game differently? I have the steam version btw

Depends what your issue is. IF its locomotive specific and not a dependency of the loco it will be a different issue than a dependency issue which would be in the above referenced file.

Most locomotives we've come across problems with have been reuploaded to the site for some time so it should be a matter of deleting the current copies from Content manager and redownloading/reinstalling in most cases.

For the SP 40-2 it has 2 faulty dependencies. The first is the cab, it says that the speedo.tga is being used as a texture and raw image, just like the OP. The second is the EMD traction motor cables -2motor, it says that the art_icon.tga is being used as a texture and raw image, just like the OP also.

for the DRGW 40-2 it states that, the KUID tag is not a valid KUID value. When I pull up the dependencies for this loco, there's nothing red, faulty or missing.

that's what I have for loco faults

For the SP 40-2 it has 2 faulty dependencies. The first is the cab, it says that the speedo.tga is being used as a texture and raw image, just like the OP. The second is the EMD traction motor cables -2motor, it says that the art_icon.tga is being used as a texture and raw image, just like the OP also.

those can be fixed by getting the file i posted in #5.

for the DRGW 40-2 it states that, the KUID tag is not a valid KUID value. When I pull up the dependencies for this loco, there's nothing red, faulty or missing.

This sounds like a database issue to me and there isnt anything that JR can do about it really. Rebuilding the database or deleting the item and rebuilding is probably the only way to cure it. I would personally try to remove it first and then add the cdp after.

Last edited:

that's what I have for loco faults

The speedo.tga problem is one that has been mentioned several times in this thread. Go into the config and change the speedo.tga to read speedo.texture. Same with the art_icon.tga. The Kuid tag is nt a valid kuid has to do with the lights, for some reason in tane it changes whatever is located there with "null". It usually has three options of colors for those lights and that kuid was to whatever would control which light was used. That I don't know how to fix and will have to wait for JR to release a fix. In the meantime at the end of the confix.txt file is listed all the kuids used in the item and their name. I just choose the green light kuid and paste it in between the " " where it said null.

Yeah, that's what I did. Every time I did it I would save the edited config file and submit the edit. when I hit submit, the game stops responding and crashes out. somewhere in there I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what. I'll try it again

The speedo.tga problem is one that has been mentioned several times in this thread. Go into the config and change the speedo.tga to read speedo.texture. Same with the art_icon.tga.

Or get all of the required files in post #5

The Kuid tag is nt a valid kuid has to do with the lights, for some reason in tane it changes whatever is located there with "null". It usually has three options of colors for those lights and that kuid was to whatever would control which light was used. That I don't know how to fix and will have to wait for JR to release a fix. In the meantime at the end of the confix.txt file is listed all the kuids used in the item and their name. I just choose the green light kuid and paste it in between the " " where it said null.

i see, yeah that null was there because it really doesnt matter what corona kuid is used. you can just delete the line the null is on everything will be okay. i didnt realize since that error message was so vague but yeah, i can see this being marked as an error.

Back