Trainz-build numbers below 3.7 are no longer supported....

Just a quick question about TS2012SP1.
When support ceases in 2016 what will happen regards DRM? Will we still need to connect to the internet to validate the game.
Seems to me that if support finishes then so should DRM
Any body else agree?

Peter

I agree too, Peter.

This should also be fore DRM content such as those routes which have now reached bargain bin pricing and will soon be removed from sale. Once the sales stop, those people who have installed the product should now have free access to it. The caveat being it's not updated or available for new downloads, however, can be replaced should the product need replacing, and not shared.

John

Bumping this thread with relevance! :D

Just uploaded updates to some of my old models, so that they didn't show any errors or warnings in TS12, set as version 3.5....
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?119412
....and got the fail Email about no builds being supported below 3.7.

I deliberately left it a while because of this thread, but I guess they were really busy getting T:ANE out the door.
Was a timeline given for when we can upload 3.5 assets?
I can't remember.

Brian.

Yea, What ShaneTurner said. Its on their to-do list (Along with a bazillion other items). I had thought that that was what they were doing when they took the servers off line at the end of the week that Tony decided to reinstate everything back to 3.2, but I guess not. So unfortunately, /shrug. Wish I could help ya. Though I could ask, would it work to just make them 3.7 for now, upload, and then revise them to 3.5 once the server's fixed? If they're 3.5 capable/validated, they should be ok, or close to, in 3.7.

-Falcus

That's a shame, but understandable.

I feel for those people who originally mentioned that they had hundreds of items ready to go, and at the moment still do.
Let's hope they don't forget about it.

Cheers.

I'm just sitting on stuff until they revert the change, I made the mistake of promising several people my route would work in Pre SP1 TS12 and all the stuff I made would be on the DLS.

Though I could ask, would it work to just make them 3.7 for now, upload, and then revise them to 3.5 once the server's fixed? If they're 3.5 capable/validated, they should be ok, or close to, in 3.7.
Hmm, interesting idea.
I'm worried it would confuse Trainz though.

Let me clarify what I mean.
As I understand it, currently, if someone tries to download an asset that a route needs, it will check for the newest version of that asset that's valid for that build, but ignore newer versions of the asset that are meant for higher builds.
That's the common sense approach, and I believe that's how Trainz/CM does it.

But, if I was to upload 3.7 versions of the assets as version :1, and then later upload 3.5 versions of the assets as version :2, I wonder if it would work as intended.
It depends how clever or thorough they were when they wrote CM.
My worry is that the 3.5 versions uploaded at a later date may never be recognised by CM or Trainz, as they don't increase the build number set by the previous version, and that would mean my assets would be stuck at 3.7, which is exactly what this thread was against.

I've no problem uploading them as you suggest, until they roll back the support version, but only if I could be sure my worries are unfounded, and that I could set lower build versions on later asset versions.

Yea, IDK if that would be an issue or not....

It would require a working knowledge of validation practices for the DLS, and I think most of the people that have that are on weekend break atm.

-Falcus

Yea, IDK if that would be an issue or not....

It would require a working knowledge of validation practices for the DLS, and I think most of the people that have that are on weekend break atm.

-Falcus

Not a problem as I've obsoleted a couple of items in the past using a new version with a lower build when I accidentally uploaded a higher build than intended, was using the wrong higher version of Trainz when I created them and uploaded, was having a bad day ;o) Found out when some one complained that a dependency for one of my items was missing.

Back