CSX 8888

So I was recently looking up info about csx and learnt about the CSX 8888 incident or crazy eights but It is very unclear what made the train roll away, and does anyone know what the unit was?

They should have quickly dispatched an already loaded gang of twelve 10 ton dump trucks, loaded with sand, to a location down the line, like in Unstoppable, Atomic Train, and Runaway Train :hehe:

Last edited:
The engineer set multiple handles in the wrong position ... the train was in a yard zone, and was switching cars, and did not have any of the air hoses coupled ... the engineer got off the drifting train to throw a switch ... being that the trains entire braking system, and deadmans switch was disabled, it sped up too fast for a man to run, and jump back on, and dragged him more than 80ft, when he fell off. And the State cops held target practice with a shotgun aiming at the EFC button on the loco fuel tank (which ricocheted and knocked of the cops sunglasses ... lol)

Last edited:
right - he got in a hurry. moving the ind brake to (15lbs I think?) will disable the 'deadman'. the pre dash 2 style control stand had a single handle for the throttle or dynamic brake with a selector for each. he did not set the selector to 'B' (as he apparently intended) before advancing the handle. even though there are other cues that he should have noticed he was obviously on the way out the door.

this was a very specific combination of things that made a runaway possible, but it all would have been avoided if he stayed where he belonged and operated safely.

yes that was in the movie but in the real world he was a Penn Central veteran close to retirement. he should have known better.

The real question is, where was the conductor or switchman during this event? I'm certain the engineer would not have had to get out of the cab if the conductor or switchman had been there to throw a switch.

There was no switchman, there was only the lone engineer/conductor/yard hostler, who was alone, operating the loco, and was supposed to stop, dismount, and align turnouts ... it was a 1 man crew operation ... when he saw a misaligned turnout, he thought e could pull a "swift one" ... dismount the moving train, run along side, throw the switch, remount the train ... FAIL ... But as it turned out to be a real "smooth move-ExLax" !

Had an employee, or pedestrian, been killed, he could have faced Voluntary Manslaughter charges, and 10-20 years in Joliette

Last edited:
this is a very general description of the events.

Yep, the Wikipedia article probably does seem very "general" to some because it is limited to factual information about the event, primarily the description of the incident found in the report of he investigation committee assigned to review and analyze the events. The link to that report can be found in the citations found at the bottom of the Wikipedia article for those who want more a more detailed, factual account of the incident.

Those wanting the less factual, speculative, gossip-based, check-out-lane-tabloid type accounts of the incident should be able to find them at the "usual sources" online. ;)

There was no switchman, there was only the lone engineer/conductor/yard hostler, who was alone, operating the loco, and was supposed to stop, dismount, and align turnouts ... it was a 1 man crew operation ... when he saw a misaligned turnout, he thought e could pull a "swift one" ... dismount the moving train, run along side, throw the switch, remount the train ... FAIL ... But as it turned out to be a real "smooth move-ExLax" !

Nope, it wasn't a one-man crew -- yard crew Y11615 consisted of one engineer, one conductor and one brakeman. It's all covered in the offical report.

Cascade, I think your dump truck idea would have worked very well. :hehe:

What is everyone's favorite part of Unstoppable? I like when the guy in the red truck does that big turn and hits 3 of the police cars and doesn't notice. :hehe:

Back