Train journey + GPS data = this video.

DeanBarnett

Hey guys,
I thought I would try to do something different on my otherwise boring journey from Hornsby to Chatswood, so I got out my GPS, started Sports Tracker and started logging.

After I imported this data into Google Earth, the result looked kinda cool -

page0_blog_entry8_1.jpg

The resulting videos can be viewed Here.

All feedback welcomed!

Edit: The actual google earth file is here, might help some content devs

Last edited:
Dean, I forget to ask yesterday on your channel:

1. How did you do the line?
2. But most importantly, you need to start what dips/rise mean in the line.
3. I wonder what the line would look like if it was in a private car/bus, with many traffic lights, etc & how long it would take (within the speed limit & speed right for conditions of course!)

Almost forget, it might be better to let people know the link below the YouTube picture is higher quality

PS: Got any "royalty" money yet from a certain transport reporter at a certain (so-called) newspaper for mentioning your videos??? :D

Last edited:
Dean, I forget to ask yesterday on your channel:

1. How did you do the line?
2. But most importantly, you need to start what dips/rise mean in the line.
3. I wonder what the line would look like if it was in a private car/bus, with many traffic lights, etc & how long it would take (within the speed limit & speed right for conditions of course!)

PS: Got any "royalty" money yet from a certain transport reporter at a certain (so-called) newspaper for mentioning your videos??? :D

1. I got a external GPS, and software on my phone that logs everything.
2. The yellow line is the speed, the higher the line the higher the speed. The dips is the service stopping at the stations.
3. I'm sure a road journey would be much more 'varied' response.. I'll try it though on my next car journey.

No royalties :(

Now that's different! I'll have to do the same on a TGV next time I go to France that should make for some interesting data! :D

JB

D/Barnett, is the link at the bottom higher quality video than Youtube?

Yup.

Just be aware that GPS signals can't make it through some rolling stocks windows.. such as the V sets, and Country Link XPT's in NSW (due to the metallic lining on the windows)

I was trying to get log from Sydney to Albury .. but it didn't work :(

Now that's different! I'll have to do the same on a TGV next time I go to France that should make for some interesting data! :D

JB

Let me know when your next going, ile tag along:)

Very interesting stuff, could it be possible to get height data using your GPS?

Sam

Back