Train wash, auto random horn, engine startup and shutdown, Trainz scripting...

Travlar

Hello all,

I wanted to share some video of some Trainz scripting that I did a short while back. I have sat on these because I can not release them, but the more I have thought about it, the more I come to the conclusion that I want to share this so others can see that it is possible to do some awesome stuff with Trainz script.

While I taught myself Trainz script, I had only a cell phone to go online and research what I needed, but that cell phone kept me from getting bored and because I had only Trainz on my computer, it was played/worked with every day.

I plundered and pillaged numerous items while I learned and that is the main reason for not being able to release the scripts I created. Each one in some way deals with something that I do not have the right to release and therefore will not release them.

I also want to make it clear that some or most of the items in the video will be recognized by some or all that watch and that NONE of the creators or owners endorse what I have done. Again, this was all done for my personal education and because of what I have learned, in the future, I might be able to actually create or help our community.

Here are the videos that I made;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Vh1K6WOZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgxLTQpMjLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgW74e75Tdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcHggZH_mM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0BxG8gHsk8

Last edited:
Very impressive work - I love your start and shut-down sounds, the lighting and your engineer animations. This should be taken to a new level to be incorporated into existing and future versions of Trainz.
Thank you for sharing. Cheers,
Roy3b3

I really don't think they pull, and wash assembled freight trains in a wash facility, unless they are passenger trains

Well the tunnel I ran through was after I did the video on Industry, so I just ran over to the wash rack and ran through. Just showing the proof of concept, not actually attempting a real life scene, but I believe you to be correct. I have only seen engines wash once they have disconnected from the train.

Very impressive work - I love your start and shut-down sounds, the lighting and your engineer animations. This should be taken to a new level to be incorporated into existing and future versions of Trainz.
Thank you for sharing. Cheers,
Roy3b3

Thank you, but I can not take credit for them, I only put them together with the script. But I do look forward to working on the next version of Trainz once it is released. I might be able to help create some scripts down the road.

I have to hand it to you for interesting usage of messages and events and tying them into my TFX code. What was the last version you were able to do this with?

I have to hand it to you for interesting usage of messages and events and tying them into my TFX code. What was the last version you were able to do this with?

I believe it was 1.1 - this was a base install of Trainz 2012 with no patches (due to not having internet).

What you have done is impressive and I wish you well with any further ventures. Getting the copyright and ownership issue out of the way then we all know that this is a good thing to be able to protect your work / inventions. However, I have seen a number of people come onto the forum asking where to find particular items only to be told they have been removed as they were for 2004 etc and were never updated. Some items are still around but they are defective or do not work properly or at all.

Good assets are in the digital bin because it is now impossible to contact a lot of the creators as they have moved on. I contacted a good friend who is a solicitor (lawyer) and put the question to him. He looked into it and came back with a few good points that might help you.

Most assets have a contact email address so you should contact the owner of the item in question and keep a hard copy of that email requesting to use / amend said item. You should explain what you are intending to do and why. This should be repeated within 30 days if you have no response. You MUST credit the original owner when you release the item for public use and MUST state clearly that it is FREEWARE and you personally have made no financial gain whatsoever. You MUST also state that it is not to be sold for gain on any domain without the consent of the ORIGINAL copyright holder. When you have finished and tested the asset then you should contact the original owner again and offer to show them what you have done. Again keep a hard copy of the email and any record of the sending of attachments such as a CDP or screenshots. Be aware that copyright changes from country to country.

An example for you is Terry aka Cyberstorm and I contacted him about correcting and amending one of his items and he came back with a positive "yes-do it" so I did and credited him as per what I have mentioned already. We should not have to go without assets for Trainz because everyone is running scared of the legalities. N3V will obviously keep their distance and for good reason but that would normal and correct for them to do so. I am not sure what changes if they decided to add your items to be included on any new game packs. Cross that bridge (by train) when we get to it I suppose.

Are you tinkering with the trainz script if you write a rule that helps make everything work that much better? What would we do without PEV's tools as we have upgraded over time and the configs have "errors". All these things amend the config script and we carry on without a fuss. It is all about money and if you are prepared to do it for love then I do not see that you will have too many problems. You sound like a guy who just enjoys what he is doing and the challenges of "I wonder if this would work" and "if I can make it do that". It is people like you that make Trainz a better place.

You may well find that you will be contacted by people who would ask you to tweak something for them or create a script to go with some graphics. You will see from the forum how we all try to help and work together where we can. Join the club and have some fun.

I wish you well with your venture.

Regards Doug

Last edited:
Back