Tree types

Ghost42

Which type of tree or tree splines are recommended to be used in ts12 so that it will be compatible with Tane?
I am route building at the moment and need to keep up-to-date.

I would avoid spline trees as they don't render properly, except for grass which is small.

For trees, you can look at those by Clam1952 and others who made the old billboard trees which currently work, among them is the bbf11 Forest Series which are quite nice for billboards.

John

The old Trunda trees we all loved presently work in Tane:

tane_billboards.jpg

Most of the old billboards work. That is from RC1.

Harold

In my present build I had used a handy tree spine but unfortunately lost my forests when i then moved up to TRS12! A passing groan but it is history now!

I think the current line of thinking is to use Billboards with T:ANE as IDK that any of the Speed Trees have been updated? But I really don't know, as I don't have T:ANE.

Falcus

The billboards look better on distant mountains because they don't "grey-out" like the speedtrees:

a Scene on Derrmy's Eastern Kentucky v3.1 with Trunda speedtrees on ReleaseCandidate1:

ek3_tane4.jpg

They also get higher FPS in T:ANE.

Similar scene in T:ANE on the Hinton:

hinton_trees.jpg

Half the FPS with less assets. The trees lose definition and become "blobs".

Harold

Last edited:
I haven't been keeping up with the T:ANE Developments, so I will ask here, has there been any commitments from N3V about trying to improve Speed Tree performance in T:ANE? Whether that takes the shape of less "Blobularity"/Greying, or less resource usage?

Falcus

I haven't been keeping up with the T:ANE Developments, so I will ask here, has there been any commitments from N3V about trying to improve Speed Tree performance in T:ANE? Whether that takes the shape of less "Blobularity"/Greying, or less resource usage?

Falcus

TANE uses Speed Tree Engine version 6 I believe which is a totally new engine. In testing I have seen a great improvement in the tree performance. The problem is our old trees have to be converted by the original creator in order to work. Hopefully Pofig will do something about his, or at least release his trees to the public for conversion as this leaves a lot of routes unfinished in TANE because the old trees will not load at all.

John

I'm rushing to get a route finished and uploaded before TANE as it makes extensive use of pofig and mcguirel speedtrees. :(

Paul

It would be cool to have the older speed trees working in TANE too. For now, the screenshots with the older billboard trees are awesome.

It's a good thing I didn't clean up any assets yet. I still have my collection of Dave Drake's old trees which worked well in TRS2004-TRS2010 pre SP4. Sadly I feel we're taking a step backwards in order to go forward. You would have thought this was on the higher end of the priority list since route building and rail routes is a big focus of a railroad simulation. For those starting out it's no big deal but for others like me who have been here since at least 2003, this is essentially a show stopper with the new version until this is resolved.

John

Hopefully the performance with Speedtrees is improved:

hinton3.jpg

Only 25FPS with a high end system on Hinton:n:

Getting 51-60FPS with more trains on the Eastern Kentucky v3.1 with no fog:

ek3_tane2_procedural.jpg

Nice to be able to run the great old routes.

Harold

Last edited:
Watch the heat too while running TANE. Those Speed Trees really make the system cook I noticed!

The old EK Coal looks really nice. It looks like I've got some converting to do.

John

Back