TOFC?

flyboy559

Using Trainz since 2003
Im looking for some older style flatcars with trailers on them or trailers with loads, like what you would find on American railroads in the 1950s. Are there any for 2012?

When I think of 1950s TOFC I usually think of 50 ft. flats and 35 ft. trailers that look something like this...

P1040577.jpg

wva-usa, that is more or less what Im looking for. I have a few pictures around my house of SP Black Widows hauling flats with trailers on the back. That is what got me looking for stuff.

wva-usa, that is more or less what Im looking for. I have a few pictures around my house of SP Black Widows hauling flats with trailers on the back. That is what got me looking for stuff.

The Southern Pacific was one of the pioneers in TOFC or "piggyback service", first introducing the service in 1953, I believe. Before the 1957 Interstate Highway Act, the maximum trailer length was 35 feet. The '57 act increased max length to 40 feet. I think the SP was hauling (at least some) trailers in the 22-25 foot range during the early 1950s -- maybe two per flat car?

I'm not finding anything "ready made" on the DLS, but you can make a '50s piggyback car, w/35 ft. trailer on a 50 ft. flat car (like the ones below) using "parts" found on the DLS. :)

Trainz-SP-TOFC.jpg

Last edited:
Back