Tank Cars

jkinzel

The North Bank Route
I need a little clarification regarding JR's 20,800 gallon tank car. I'm looking for the appropriate car for an oil train, but seem to be running into some conflicting information and I don't have any good photos of cars in oil trains. Guess I know what my next mission is.

Does the 20.800 gal. car represent a pressurized tank for use with chlorine, and other gasses transported under pressure?

Is that same design used for pressurized and bulk liquids? I would assume that the size and shape of the dome would be different between the two commodity types.

Regards,

If you ever want to take photos of the Oil Trains, they're about a 50% chance of one sitting in the Van Asslt Receiving Yard on any given day, maybe a bit less. That'll be on the back side of Boeing Field parallel to Airport Way.

Falcus

John, I don't participate in the JR website or forums, so I am limited in what I can see about the 20,800 gallon car. According to some of the photos I've found on the web, one of the cars has a skin bearing the reporting marks, UTLX 68316. In real life a T106 car, which could be used to carry crude oil. If it were, it would not be compliant with US code of federal regulations, as it is not carrying the required placards for crude oil. Crude is a hazardous material, and vehicles transporting it must carry the appropriate placard, in this case, flammable class 3 placards with a UN code of 1267. The photos I have taken of cars intended for, or loaded with, crude oil have all been classed as DOT111A100W1, with a capacity of about 30,000 gallons. Both the T106 and the T111 are general service, non-pressurized, non-insulated cars. Usually, a 20,000 gallon car is loaded with much denser commodities, such as molten sulfur, or caustic soda. On the other hand, if you find the JR car attractive, and want to use it, go ahead. As I recall the cars in the runaway train in Lac-Mégantic Quebec disaster were class T105, which differs from the T106 only in capacity: the T105 is the next class smaller. One orher thing to be aware of, which is more important than the size of the car, is the reporting marks: cars bearing markings (either logos, or reporting marks), identified with food manufacturers, such as ADM (ADMX, DMIX), Cargill (CRGX, PRGX), &c. would not be loaded with crude oil. Also, if the smaller lettering indicates some other commodity (like sulfuric or nitric acids, either of which would not be loaded with crude oil, don't use it in an oil train.

Having written all that, it is, after all your route, and if you use smaller cars, or cars with other logos / reporting marks, and your route has no virtual representatives of the FRA, or its Canadian equivalent in place, then few people will notice, and of those, only the obnoxious rivet counters will comment.

ns

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information.
I guess my dilemma stems from the domes used on the model differ greatly from those used on most cars I've seen in oil trains that appear to be of a similar design and size. I'll just use what looks good.

Regards,

CITX22499_zps3beafffa.jpg

CBTX740038_zps4c92ce87.jpg

The cars in the third photo appear to be of the "funnel Flow" design (JR 23,000 gal) Taken at Black River Jct. south of Seattle, WA
DSC_0214DTS_zpsd238b220.jpg

The domes do vary a bit from different types of car. I have also seen the 23,000 gallon ones that aren't perfectly cylinder shaped, at least in all-tank car trains that I am assuming are oil trains.

John, the design of the domes (and to be technical, they are not "domes", but rather "manways", have changed over the years. The manways in the prototype photos of your most recent post indicate that these are "modern" cars, while the manways of the JR 20,800 gal car could is similar to an older design. On can still include older cars in an oil train, as there are still tank cars in the fleet which are up to 40 years old, and in a few cases, perhaps even older. The manways of older designs, could appear similar to the manways of the JR car you are asking about. The most glaring issue confronting you is the lack of proper placards on the car, but maybe JR can be persuaded to prepare skins for the placards.

ns

Most of the crude oil cars that I've seen are in the 25-32,000 gallon range. The newer ones are 30-32,000 gallons and, I'm guessing post-Mégantic, have end-shields to further protect the cars in case of derailment. However, from what I've read there is a shortage of these car due to high demand, at least prior to the oil price drops, so it is not uncommon to see cars of all sizes in crude oil service.

Phillips66railcars_13994944598337.jpg

I need a little clarification regarding JR's 20,800 gallon tank car. I'm looking for the appropriate car for an oil train, but seem to be running into some conflicting information and I don't have any good photos of cars in oil trains. Guess I know what my next mission is.

Does the 20.800 gal. car represent a pressurized tank for use with chlorine, and other gasses transported under pressure?

Is that same design used for pressurized and bulk liquids? I would assume that the size and shape of the dome would be different between the two commodity types.

Regards,

the 20800 car represents a DOT 111A100W1 (kerosene, gasoline, fuel oil, vegetable oils, phosphorus, corn syrup) and 111A100W5 (hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, aluminum sulfate, ferric chloride, hydrobromic acid)

Several 3rd party reskins have probably put some inapplicable marks or abilities to this car, but the model was made to be fairly generic. the 23000 gal car is probably closer to what you want as i dont have a crude service car available just yet.

John, the design of the domes (and to be technical, they are not "domes", but rather "manways", have changed over the years. The manways in the prototype photos of your most recent post indicate that these are "modern" cars, while the manways of the JR 20,800 gal car could is similar to an older design. On can still include older cars in an oil train, as there are still tank cars in the fleet which are up to 40 years old, and in a few cases, perhaps even older. The manways of older designs, could appear similar to the manways of the JR car you are asking about. The most glaring issue confronting you is the lack of proper placards on the car, but maybe JR can be persuaded to prepare skins for the placards.

ns

If the car is up to date (and a lot of the 3rd party reskins were not) then the placards will set themselves appropriately for what the car is carrying. This was the best trade off for those wishing to carry many kinds of loads. This car was not ever configured for carrying crude oil but it is typical of JR tank cars that they set the correct placards themselves. Here is an example of the 23000 car loaded with different commodities.

the 20800 car is a pretty old model (and certainly not my favorite). It didnt even have things like correct couplers since I had not made the shelf coupler model at the time.

Last edited:
Redfox, if by "gas" you mean natural gas, then you want a pressurized tank car. Cars I have photographed containing natural gas include cars in AAR types T389, T419, and T439, among others. These cars are all about 60 feet long, and bear placards.'

ns

I have not modeled a pressurized car yet, but maybe one will arrive soon - and just like the others it will have proper placards.

Back