M120: Module for Model Railroadz

... might as well bring up that point now: A naming convention.
I agree with your suggestion: Probably best if we start every module name with "M120", but having trouble with deciding what sort of construction we should add behind that. I am up with every fitting name for your module, but open for suggestions / idea's / discussion on that ...

This is probably way more complicated than it needs to be (or that anybody wants to put up with), but to get the ball rolling I’ll suggest M120 – Type, Join Points and Size.

Type: Side, Corner, Loop (considering a Portal as a form of Loop).

Join Points: Since we’ll have nothing but squares/rectangles, there are two possible Join Points per side. Starting on the North edge going counter-clockwise you have N1, N2, E3, E4, S5, S6, W7 and W8.

Size: The size of the of the actual module minus any “extra” boards that could be deleted without harming the module.

Using oknotsen’s modules on the DLS as examples:
M120 - module example 1 (1 baseboard, basic),<kuid:645812:12005> M120 - Side, E4-W7, 1x1
M120 - module example 2 (2 baseboards),<kuid:645812:12006> M120 – Side, E4-W7, 2x1
M120 - module example 3 (1 baseboard), <kuid:645812:12007> M120 – Side, E4-W7, 1x1
M120 - module example 4 (2 baseboards),<kuid:645812:12008> M120 – Side, E4-W7, 1x2
M120 - West end loop,<kuid:645812:12002> M120 – Loop, E4, 1x1.

Yes Virginia, us old retired geezers have way too much time on our hands.

Last edited:
check this out
image.png

Connection definition between modules:
Modules are on the Eastern and Western edge connected with each other by a 120m wide base plate in the middle of a baseboard.
The rail connection is a dual-track main line, positioned between 20m and 30m of the south-side of the 120m wide plate.
First 20m of track are straight on both East and West end, after that up to the choice of the designer.
First 20m of baseboard on both East and West end are flat, after that up to the choice of the designer.

You haven't specified the track spacing or the height, and I think the identification of the track position needs to be at the track centres, not the edges, because there is no rule about how wide the track mesh must be.

This is probably way more complicated than it needs to be
It looks like you gave it some serious thought, but don't have enough time and energy to go over this (and your PM) right now; way to tired after a long day of work. I hope you don't mind me coming back to this (and PM) during the weekend.

check this out
A sweet :) Tiny shot, so hard to see, but I get the impression you are of on a great start.

You haven't specified the track spacing or the height, and I think the identification of the track position needs to be at the track centres, not the edges, because there is no rule about how wide the track mesh must be.
I had hoped the screenshot was clear enough, but I think you have a point (and apparently I made some silly assumption), so let me try to clarify:
Edge of baseboard to edge of plateau: 300m.
Northern edge of plateau to centre of northern track: 92.5m
Distance between centre of north rail and centre of south track: 5m
Southern edge of plateau to centre of southern track: 22.5m
Track spline height: 0m.
All these numbers are for the first 20m on each end of a module.​
Hope that clarifies things. If not, please let me know because maybe I misunderstood you.

I'll update the picture and description this weekend.
How about doing some narrow gauge modules?
Main line is standard gauge, but nobody is stopping you from creating a module that has a standard gauge main line and some 4 baseboard narrow gauge local line. Maybe with an exchange area or something?
I say: Give it a go :) . Interested in what you will create.

I had hoped the screenshot was clear enough, but I think you have a point (and apparently I made some silly assumption), so let me try to clarify:
Edge of baseboard to edge of plateau: 300m.
Northern edge of plateau to centre of northern track: 92.5m
Distance between centre of north rail and centre of south track: 5m
Southern edge of plateau to centre of southern track: 22.5m
Track spline height: 0m.

If you use the S_FT_straight_2-50-5m, starting from the left side of the board, you'll notice that the track on the right side is a little closer to the edge than the other end of the module. If the modules are designed to be connected end-to-end, this slight misalignment could cause a problem when joining the modules.​

Could the signal requirement be dropped, or could someone help me do signals? I want to contribute, but I can't do signals.

Also, for some reason, the modules aren't showing up on the DLS, but I searched the kuid and it came up as an unknown asset, and when I clicked on it the thumbnail was there.

Last edited:
Main line is standard gauge, but nobody is stopping you from creating a module that has a standard gauge main line and some 4 baseboard narrow gauge local line. Maybe with an exchange area or something?
I say: Give it a go :) . Interested in what you will create.
you could have the ng going north to south with a transfer module? just a suggestion

Some reactions

I searched M120 on the DLS, and it wasn't up.
Consider doing a database repair maybe?
I can see that all example modules have been downloaded at least 43 times, so I am guessing the problem is on your side :(.

you could have the ng going north to south with a transfer module? just a suggestion
At this stage I am focusing on getting regular models first. Once we see a bunch of those modules show up by different people, I am happy to discuss your suggestion and see how we can combine it.
In the end, I would like to get as many people possible involved, but like to avoid the risk of ending up with modules that can not be combined (yet). Contact me via PM if you like to talk more about your suggestion.

Could the signal requirement be dropped, or could someone help me do signals? I want to contribute, but I can't do signals.
I am happy to help you out with basic signaling at a later stage.
If you have an idea where the signals should be placed and can explain that to me, don't worry about the details.

I would be willing to make an east loop If I had a base module. (I cannot seem to get the floor/table part right)
I would first like to suggest you to build a normal module. I mean: What is the use of a loop if there are no or hardly any regular modules yet? That is why I made 2 very basic loop modules (just track on empty particle boards like you see more often at model railroad shows). Once you get a grip of the floor/table part, feel free to adjust or build your own loop. When you reach that point, be sure to first contact me via PM to avoid you doing something that someone else is already doing.

I will upload a "relatively basic" east loop later this weekend (it is done, just have to attach a few "do not touch" stickers), so there at least is an east loop and we all can focus on creating the modules in between.

To create the "table/floor" part, I suggest downloading one of the examples and rip it into pieces.
The system is relatively basic: 2 hidden tracks with poles (track side items) connected to it as the table pillars, a 10m wall spline as the side.
When I am building myself, I take one of those examples, delete the floor and a bunch of the digholes (those white triangles) and start building. I put them back when it starts to look like something. That way you do not get frustrated by accidently moving the floor around all the time or having your creativity blocked by a dighole.
Leefer made a 15 minute demo video that also explains the way to do it; he uses a few other assets than I did but the technique is the same.
Hope that helps you to get going :) .

Ok, I will try a database repair. I think I will download it and make a Hancock and Southern module. Could anyone recommend good DLS tracks?

Last edited:
Just uploaded the first module to the DLS with Oknotsen's approval for bragging rights. It is called Bigg City Yard.:wave:

Hi guys, I've put my two cents worth in and uploaded my M120 "Industrial Version" to the DLS today. I've included a few screenshots on my website http://royburnell.com/id27.html to give you a basic idea of what to expect. No missing dependencies, so it's all good there. Feel free to enjoy it; OR just delete it! I'm looking forward to seeing what other ideas come out of this great project. By the way, if you have any criticism, make it constructive. (Don't hurt an old guy's feelings)
Cheers,
Roy3b3

Last edited:
Hi Benjamin, I just had a look at your "Bigg City Yard" - good job! However I did see an asset with missing dependencies. It was "PPR Signal Cabin" <Kuid:106916:10289> - Easy enough to just delete that item and replace it with something else.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

Back