MRL Bozeman Pass Project Official Thread

Hi All,
Montana Rail Link's Bozeman pass (otherwise known as Bozeman Hill) is a roughly 15 mile long section of the MRL's second subdivision from Bozeman to Livingston, Montana. This thread will encompass my progress on the route and the updates made. Enjoy.
dac5193e5f9ac9852ceffefff99fb4a3.jpg

MRL helpers help a BNSF oil train over the pass at Trail Creek.
c66506378cef7afa97c1a8a5c97d08cd.jpg

A BNSF Mixed rolls in dynamics through hoppers cut.

The MRL Laurel-Missoula rolls past the historic Livingston Depot.

oh hell yes! Nice work on this. I really like that area surrounding that creek.

I'm also going to see this route for myself someday soon. gotta love the massive amount of EMD power MRL has.

Thanks for the Kind words everyone! Working on getting scenery work up to the tunnel, in the mean time here are some shots from the route and the western tunnel entrance in Blender.

Looking good! Really like the texturing on this, especially in the first couple shots. And that tunnel portal looks good as well!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi,
Thanks for all the words! Ive got a food lot of work done today, with some scenery half complete up to the west siding switch of West end siding. Plus I finished all the track work and signaling for Bozeman, which essentially has completed all of the track work for the route. However I do plan on continuing west from Bozeman to Belgrade or maybe even Logan, but because this portion is not on the DEM it will have to be done by had which could take quite a lot of work and time.
I decided I should show a few shots of todays progress. In this set we see the MRL' eastbound Mis-Lau (Missoula-Laurel). This one being fairly light MRL only needed 2 locos to haul it, and with a BNSF SD70MAC sitting in Missoula that was needed in Laurel it replaced the second SD70ACe. Pleas excuse some of the scenes being incomplete.

Last edited:
Sweet! Bozeman Pass is my favorite portion on the ex-Northern Pacific Railway. Nice to see it finally being made in Trainz. About time another one of Montana's vital railroad passes (besides Marias) was made for the sim.

Awesome job, the one thing Trainz has been lacking is a good MRL route and this will fill that void in beautiful way. Again, nice work!

Last edited:
Absolutely awesome route. Clearly a lot of time has gone into this creation! Well done. I especially like your Bozeman Tunnel Portal!!!

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone!
A small cabin just above the west tunnel entrance near to where I live. Just a little slice of Montana heaven. Please excuse the menu bar still open I could swear I had it turned off at the time.
2c99c04ec1f3628729ad2a4b8f37a173.jpg

Back