Abandoned Railroads

dragonharh

Acount Deleted
Here another video I did of this old line 6 mouths later my self and another guy went out exploring the remains the abandoned DAR Windsor Jct NS.

I'll Post more in due time if anyone wants to post your abandoned railroads videos feel free to do so.

Always been puzzled about all those defunct lines in America. Does someone still own them after decades of no use or can you just go ahead and build or whatever?

Most RR's were built on a 20' swath of land right of way, with a 99 year lease, and can not be built upon, unless one buys the property ... walking these railbeds is great fun, like a walk back in time ... The Wopsononock RR railbed is private property owned by the Juniata Sportsmens Association for hunting ... but snowmobilers and horseback riders help keep the rocky shale roadbed somewhat intact.

In Trainz one can create a backwoods rails to trails path, and using invisatrack ... and you can once again walk the the railbed using an invisible loco

In Trainz one can create a backwoods rails to trails path, and using invisatrack ... and you can once again walk the the railbed using an invisible loco[/QUOTE]

Or with the drivable worker...

Actually those lines look like they're in fairly good shape! :)

I too have created abandoned ROWs in Trainz. I use rusty track and invisible track. The invisible track is great for placing old bridge piers and making a very smooth ROW. I then use lots of dark cinder ballast and plant trees and stuff on the track.

Here in Yankton, there are a few old abandoned pieces from when the railroad was different back in the day. Like a old white station. The old tracks are still there, but are barley noticable. And the other old train station that was moved by the Duck Pond with the original track, 2 crossings, and a BNSF caboose to top it off.

Where i used to live, BN had a branch line from the O.T Sub mainline off to who knows where now but it was a pretty long stretch(google earth is fun to explore stuff). most of it was torn up except a tunnel witch i think is now blocked off and hidden. crossings at the entry to the branch now have buffers about 3 feet down the track where the track was torn out and the remaining track is just storage and whatnot. If i recall correctly there used to be a wye not far from there that was just buried and built over when houses needed to be built. Maybe i should stop rambling now... hehe

Over here where I live i have walked branches long one and do find a touch of melancholy especially when i know I once was on a line when younger as a passenger. However we do re-open lines now and break the passenger number targets!

The exact owners of abandoned rail lines in the US varies from place to place, and depends upon the details of how the line was acquired in the first place. When the lines were built, rights to construct a right of way were acquired from various land owners by various means, and while some might have been build on right of ways with the 20 foot width that cascaderailroad suggests, in my experience, in most cases the rights of way were considerably wider, often 100 feet in width. Some of these were purchased, some were given by the US government in the form of land grants, others were leased from the property owners. When rights of way were abandoned, some properties reverted to the succesors to earlier owners, some which had been owned by the railroads were acquired by other entities. In Dallas / Fort Worth Texas, for example, many miles of right of way owned by the large railroads were acquired by the Dallas Area Rapid Trasit (DART) agency, which still owns the rights of way, and leases portions to freight railroads.

The question really cannot be answered in any other general way; to find out the status of ownership of any particular bit of abandoned railroad right of way, one really needs to research the deed to the property, and find out the status. The status can be different from parcel to parcel, even when the parcels adjoin.

ns

There are so many abandoned industry tracks along Septa, there is this one shed that used to belong to an industry. Also, the line passes under a huge concrete bridge where the RDC's used to run before service stopped.

Back