Computer Hunting Questions

today's update: I took the crappy system speakers and threw them in the garbage...where they belong. I ended up hooking up my Father's old Dell 2.1 speaker system. This will do until I find something new.

I also tested the new graphics card in Trainz. I ran the Appalachian Coal Route with all the settings maxed. For the most part it was fine. I did get some slight screen freezes while changing views. What can be done to maximize performance in Trainz? I've long forgotten any performance tricks.

today's update: I took the crappy system speakers and threw them in the garbage...where they belong. I ended up hooking up my Father's old Dell 2.1 speaker system. This will do until I find something new.

I also tested the new graphics card in Trainz. I ran the Appalachian Coal Route with all the settings maxed. For the most part it was fine. I did get some slight screen freezes while changing views. What can be done to maximize performance in Trainz? I've long forgotten any performance tricks.

I have a few of the old speakers too that came with various computer systems. They sit on the shelf and are used in a pinch, such as when setting up another system, but for the most part they're not used. Your dad probably has some Boston Acoustics which used to come with Dell systems. They were nice speakers in their day.

Appalachian Coal is probably one of the biggest hogs when it comes to performance due to the number of crappy splines used all over the place. If you are getting nothing more that a few freezes when changing camera positions, then you've got a decent setup. Build 61388 is infamous for pauses still when changing camera views. If anything check your performance on one of your favorite routes which you use all the time. As far as tweaking goes, ensure that your antivirus isn't touching your Trainz folders as the constant opening and closing of files can cause your AV to go nuts as it scans each file that is touched. Also defrag your new data disk to ensure everything is in order. Don't do this to your SSD.

John

I finally got around to installing the latest TANE. I'm happy to report that my new Digital Storm super computer system seems to handle it pretty well. I did have a few small freeze ups but generally it performed well. What's with the bright colored water in TANE???
Now it's time to go to work on the next big project!

I finally got around to installing the latest TANE. I'm happy to report that my new Digital Storm super computer system seems to handle it pretty well. I did have a few small freeze ups but generally it performed well. What's with the bright colored water in TANE???
Now it's time to go to work on the next big project!

Congratulations on the new setup!

I'm glad everything is working well for you. You might want to adjust the fan speed upwards on your video card when using TANE. It's not optimized and runs awfully warm, or I should say it has done it for me.

The water is still borked. The developers have an internal build that has much better water, but right now it's not right.

Regarding projects, I suggest staying with TS12 for now. TANE will be changing again and again which will mean that your work may or may not be compatible with future stuff. They're still working out things and this is typical of beta software as it goes through the punches and improvements.

John

Back