Computer Hunting Questions

BlackDiamond1964

Shadow Banned By N3V
It's come to my attention that my 4 year old computer is outdated and falling behind in gaming PC standards. So I'm planning on getting a new PC especially to run Trainz and other simulation type games. Here is the problem. Every major computer company sells gaming pc but there are so many complaints about them I'm not sure where to start looking for a PC. I'm afraid to spend loads of money on a high end PC only to have problems, and having to deal with horrible customer service.

This time around money is not an issue, computer power is! So...

Does anybody have any computer recommendations?

Are there any companies or brand names I should look at first?

Can someone point me to some good buys?

A good full size tower, desktop Windows PC (not a MAC or DELL), with a fast CPU of @ 3.4GHz or greater, with a PS much larger than 450watt, so you can put in a couple hundred dollar video card.

The RAM means almost nothing, as you can buy a 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive laptop ... and it will run Trainz poorly ... Trainz only needs 2-4GB RAM ... and T:ANE will require a 64bit OS

The HP DV7 is a piece of carp (big stinky fish)

Last edited:
One not bought at a BigBox store

I bought a GT430 (needing a 300watt PS) and it is considered a low end card that sold for $129 at Best Buy, but is sold online for less than $50

Your video card has a power supply rating ... if you have a 300watt LiteOn PS you can not install a 400watt video card ... and the power supply needs to be replaced with a heftier wattage PS like 500-800 watts costing @ $80-$120, with a tech install charge of @ $50

Last edited:
Allot of low end, non-gaming laptop PC's will run Trainz with poor framerates ... or will become a laptop sterilization heater, insuring that you will not be able to have children :hehe:

Another computer company I'm looking into is Digital Storm. Their gaming PC's rank high on the performance scale and the company has a A+ rating with the BBB. Anybody know anything about them or their computers?

Post the specs of the models you are looking at and your budget, and also if you're willing to build or have a PC built for you.

The problem with a lot of OEM/namebrand PCs is, for one, you might get stuck with Windows 8. Also, they usually use minimum-spec parts, and are often not upgradeable, or upgradeable only with limited-availability, very low-end parts. By the time all is said and done, you are better off building anyway.

I would recommend shopping around at some of your local PC Sales & Repair shops. Many of these local guys offer high-end gaming computers, and they oftentimes will build to your specifications. They usually also offer support and repair and even a warranty. And when you need help they will help you, you won't have to talk to some guy in India.

Good luck,

Dave

Yes, this time around I'm going to shop around. There is a local PC shop I'll be checking out on Monday.

As for these Digital Storm PC's, they can be customized. I'll post some specs in a little bit.

Here is the Bolt II
It is highly upgradable

Processor
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)

Motherboard
ASUS Z97I-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)

System Memory
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply
700W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition

Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)

CPU Boost
optionStage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Windows OS
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)

Your Thoughts?

Apparently these Digital Storm computers are very high quality but expensive machines. The Bolt 2 mentioned above is around $2600. It comes with all the back up disks and a 4 year warranty.

I guess the big question is...Will this run Trainz?

I'm not sure that you absolutely need a $2600 PC to run Trainz ... Not that price is a good gauge of quality (as some pricey PC's actually have low end hardware inside) but a good laptop costs @ $1200, and a desktop @ $850 ... I'm sure that some people have bought a $1500 laptop, for $850 online, and it runs Trainz well (until it fries the CPU chip, running TurboBoost constantly) :hehe:

Last edited:
I'd advise a Tower PC as well. Laptops are a pain, especially if they are old vista machine's that are branded COMPAQ on them. I've had my laptop fixed 3-4 different times, and the last time the overheating issue was finally resolved.

You can probably build or have one built for half that. And a 980 is probably overkill; I'd stay away from cards that cost as much as the rest of the system. And you'd still be stuck with Windows 8, which might be ok if that's your thing, but you have the option of Win7 if you so choose.

You can probably build or have one built for half that. And a 980 is probably overkill; I'd stay away from cards that cost as much as the rest of the system. And you'd still be stuck with Windows 8, which might be ok if that's your thing, but you have the option of Win7 if you so choose.

You can order it with windows 7. You can order it with many different choices of graphic cards as well. I've been reading some story of unsatisfied customers that got their computer through DigitalStorm.com. Most of the complaints came from bad products being shipped out and the company dragging their feet to fix the problems. I'll put DigitalStorm on the backburner for now and see what I can find locally. I think it might be best to find something locally. This way I won't have to worry about shipping issues and damage.

I would either look locally or build one yourself if you feel up to it. Also, I would try to get the best parts you can now rather than an average piece so it's better equipped to handle new games for a longer time.

Back