WM 2-8-0

rwk

Is there any locomotive in Trainz that looks like this? I've been looking for a heavy 2-8-0 with centered headlight with no luck. Most of the 2-8-0's in Trainz have tall smokestacks or high headlights.

ff112a2b1c484032384d5a3ed906026973c887f8-20140414-083214-C1-Trainz-3635513-05.jpg

K&L Trainz has the Western Maryland logo with coming soon over it. Maybe good ol' Steve Lerro has something up his sleeve sometime in the future??? ;)

It's a real H9, and should come in several versions, including but not limited to as-built, footboard pilot/non-jacketed smokebox some of them had, as shown in my picture below, and with the Worthington feedwater heater.

I just figured I'd go ahead and render it since I hadn't done that for a while anyway. Obviously I have work with rods and valve gear yet to do, but other than that it's mostly under-cab and in-cab detail, plus just a bit more piping. Really not all that much left to do with it, if I could ever remember to work on it. I'm really looking forward to textures.

161e628161b1c4a6431a374ece18e56d.jpg

The tender is finished, here's a shot in TS12:

8cf88657061892d957a87997c2d8e7aa.jpg

It has an animated water hatch, though that is not yet set up, and a working auger, in case you ever let your coal get down low enough to see it:

5dcc138e9172fd9acdcc1ab2684c6267.jpg

Is that the Bessemer font from railsimstuff.com i see? Not to be a rivet-counter, but it doesn't look right. Here's the real one:

2690.1256696632.jpg

It's okay the way it is though. Looks close to perfect so far, Adam.

That is amazing! :D

The untextured model looks like it's made out of plastic which is really cool.

John

The lettering on 734 is, shall we say, far from perfect. I did indeed use the Bessemer font to create my lettering. I do want to rework it a little to be just that much more correct, but it will work for now. Compare it to the real thing:

wm827s.jpg

Is that the Bessemer font from railsimstuff.com i see? Not to be a rivet-counter, but it doesn't look right. Here's the real one:

<pic of Western Maryland Scenic Railroad #754 deleted>

It's okay the way it is though. Looks close to perfect so far, Adam.

That's not a photo of a locomotive that was ever used on the real Western Maryland Railroad. No. 734 is an ex-Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad locomotive which the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad rebuilt, painted up and basically gave a "face lift". The scenic railroad has been using it as a "stand in" for an actual Western Maryland 2-8-0 steam locomotive for a number of years.

That is AMAZING work there Adam! The detail is unbelievable. Quick question though, for whoever may know, why did the Western Maryland (at least from what are shown), use such large tenders on these smaller engines? The tender with "734" is almost, if not, longer than the engine itself. :hehe: Just curious.

That is AMAZING work there Adam! The detail is unbelievable. Quick question though, for whoever may know, why did the Western Maryland (at least from what are shown), use such large tenders on these smaller engines? The tender with "734" is almost, if not, longer than the engine itself. :hehe: Just curious.

If you're talking about No. 734's tender, that "fake" WM locomotive uses a tender from a NYC Mohawk (4-8-2) locomotive.

That may just be the case, I have no idea. I was just curious if the actual WM tender's were that long too. It looks like too much trailing weight unless they were used for long-distance trips.

That may just be the case, I have no idea. I was just curious if the actual WM tender's were that long too. It looks like too much trailing weight unless they were used for long-distance trips.

The railroads always had a good reason for everything they did. ;)

I believe most of WM 2-8-0s used 16-ton, 15,000 gallon tenders. Tenders of about this size often were long and short in height to give the tender a low center of gravity. I'm pretty sure if the WM used that size tender it was because that's the size they needed to be to operate most efficiently, e.g., to travel the distance needed without stopping to refuel. After all, refueling costs both time and money.

As long as a given locomotive fit on a turntable, or fit inside a roundhouse stall, for fit on a switchback, etc., the railroad officials didn't worry much about its overall length. For the railroads, when it came to freight hauling locomotives, the name of the game was maximizing profits, not making a "balanced" looking locomotive. ;)

Ironic, really.

I bought a book on the Western Maryland last weekend - it only cost me $16 (AUD).

Western%20Maryland%20Book.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

(I'm sorry about the large size of photo and the fact its on it side.)

info from the book gives a capacity of 20,000 Gallons for the H9 2-8-0 tender. No idea on coal capacity.

An amusing passage about the WM Consolidations that is given in the book is "One hog for every Ten Loaded Hoppers".

Also, I have plans for the WM I2 decapods, unfortunately I am unable to pass these on as they are from MR.

I'll look what's textured onto the tender later to confirm capacity, but 20000 gallons sounds right. (I was thinking I'd also bought the book shown above, but upon looking I only found EBT and L&NE versions.)

We need a good Blackwater Canyon route so we can run ten of these beasts on a 100 car coal train in game.

I also have the I2 drawings, which are interesting because they do share some parts and proportions with the H9...

Back