Article: Trainz: A New Era Community Edition Review

Hi, I've downloaded the freebie Community edition (twice) and cannot get it to work on my iMac running Windows 7 under bootcamp. When I try to open the game I get "render initialisation failed'.

Under logs - Details: DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED"The specified device interface or feature level is not supported on this system".
Windows version info 6.1.7601 (S)

detail:
? Renderer initialization has failed.
- Details follow:
- Type: Failure initializing Graphics API.
- Summary: Failed to create DirectX device and swap chain.
- Details: DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED"The specified device interface or feature level is not supported on this system".
- File: ..\..\engine\RenderDirectX11\RenderServerManagerDirectX11.cpp:203
- Type: Unspecific generic initialization failure.
- Summary: Failed to initialize the global device.
- Details: (null)
- File: ..\..\engine\RenderServer\RenderServerManager.cpp:287
- Summary: Failed to initialize the renderer.
- File: ..\..\engine\RenderServer\RenderServerManager.cpp:1344

I have an ATI Radeon HD450 video card

I have downloaded new Directx runtime and legacy (v9) versions, but still get the same message.

Advice please...

...Thanks...

Richard.

Hi, thanks Shane; yes, I tried that too - but no luck!

I also get "Unable to start database repair - engine start-up failed".

Running the DX diagnostic tool reveals no problems.

My system runs Train Sim 2015 OK (!).

I hope, having ordered the new era version due in 2015 that it will work on the Mac (I ordered the Mac version).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard.
Have you tried running it under OpenGL? Sounds like your graphics card does not support DirectX 11.

Shane

Last edited:
Hi, I've downloaded the freebie Community edition (twice) and cannot get it to work on my iMac running Windows 7 under bootcamp. When I try to open the game I get "render initialisation failed'.

Under logs - Details: DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED"The specified device interface or feature level is not supported on this system".

detail:
? Renderer initialization has failed.
- Details follow:
- Type: Failure initializing Graphics API.
- Summary: Failed to create DirectX device and swap chain.
- Details: DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED"The specified device interface or feature level is not supported on this system".
- File: ..\..\engine\RenderDirectX11\RenderServerManagerDirectX11.cpp:203
- Summary: Failed to initialize the global device.
- File: ..\..\engine\RenderServer\RenderServerManager.cpp:287
- Summary: Failed to initialize the renderer.
- File: ..\..\engine\RenderServer\RenderServerManager.cpp:1344

I have an ATI Radeon HD450 video card

I have downloaded new Directx runtime and legacy (v9) versions, but still get the same message.

Advice please...

...Thanks...

Richard.

Hi Richard,

ATI 450 isn't a valid model number, it has to be 4XXX (4 numbers).
The 4 series cards are below our min spec of the game, and it doesn't support DirectX11.

Currently the CE version is set to start using Direct X rendering by default. Retail Version will be back to the setting where users can select either OpenGL or Direct X to launch the game.

For now, can you try this workaround and report back please?
Launch the game, it will report rendering failed, close that window but don't close Launcher. Go to settings, change renderer to OpenGL, put in your PA details, Save, but don't close the Launcher Window. Now Launch Content Manager and create a new asset under Developer. Make sure it created and saved the asset successfully by checking the Locally Modified filter. Wait for couple of minutes then exit the game.

Restart the game, you should now be in OpenGl and be able to run the game. (If your card supports OpenGL 3.3)

Regards,
Sidds

Ok
I am not impressed at the moment,
game not starting from the desktop icon, this has happened to now several times, even going to the exe does not work. I have to shut down the computer or do a restart.

this has now happen to my brother in the UK as well.

many of the trees are still of the flat type, this is suppose to be a new era.

Steam locos not impressed her either, 13, only old, only one latish model, most seem to be pre war not sure which! there were many more in the 2010, the so call look a like flying scott no where near as good as 2010.
None of the mallard series even if you bought them they will not import in here, nor the Duchess, .
even the diesel selection seem to be lacking.
there is a lot of rolling stock.
now the industries, and stations, how do we know which one are active? there used to be a tick.
I did some testing on a test layout, when to save as no problem at that stage, do you want to over write, yes I push the tab. then everything froze, gave it quite awhile, no change, sot had to use task manager to shut down.
I have sent my computer DxDiag txt to NV3.
Ok back to more testing.

Some of you have got further than I have. Downloaded the file and when trying to install, I get the following error.

Runtime Error (at 27:52)

Internal error: Cannot expand "pf64"constant on this version of windows.

I'm running Windows 7. I used to have 8.1 installed but reverted to 7 as computer kept crashing. I have an ultrabook with windows 8.1 but only have a Solid state hard drive of 64gb and with the operating system and software loaded only have 12gb remaining so was hoping that it would work on my Windows 7 laptop.

Wrote to Auran but have not received a reply. Hope the final version is more compatible or works on a MAC computer running Yosimite, or I am snookered and will have to rely on Train Simulator 2015 for my Train games which work well on all my systems.

Some of you have got further than I have. Downloaded the file and when trying to install, I get the following error.

Runtime Error (at 27:52)

Internal error: Cannot expand "pf64"constant on this version of windows.

I'm running Windows 7. I used to have 8.1 installed but reverted to 7 as computer kept crashing. I have an ultrabook with windows 8.1 but only have a Solid state hard drive of 64gb and with the operating system and software loaded only have 12gb remaining so was hoping that it would work on my Windows 7 laptop.

Wrote to Auran but have not received a reply. Hope the final version is more compatible or works on a MAC computer running Yosimite, or I am snookered and will have to rely on Train Simulator 2015 for my Train games which work well on all my systems.

Sounds like you've got a 32-bit version of Windows. T:ANE requires a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or later.

Two problems that jumped out. The game let me start it he first time. The second time it would not start. I had to reboot the computer after that it started the first time, but after I closed it I could not restart the game until I rebooted the computer. The control windows would not open all the way and some were cut off with no text in them. Also tried to use the rebuild database and the computer would freeze. back to rebooting the computer. I am running windows 7 vid 560ti. Intel i7. 16 GB ram..64bit

My systems is Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU 3.40GHz 64 Bits, memory 6.0 Gb, AMD Radeon HD 7450. Windows 7 SP1
I installed without any problem TANE:CE Build 70957. When I start a session, my computer hangs up on a white screen. What is going wrong? Somebody has an idea?

Uninstalled, waiting for the first update. It was interesting to say the least. Just understanding this is like a public beta and not anywhere near release version, made me realize I shouldn't focus on it too much when it doesn't work as expected.

pdkoester - your approach there may backfire on you if they release any updates as patches though (which would require the game to be installed already).

Shane

After I installed the downloaded program, it would not start up. Got the same messages as some of the other users: renderer failed to start or something. Then I had a new video card installed: NVIDIA GTX970 and WOW!! I am impressed. The program runs very smoothly, either in DirectX or OpenGL. No major problems so far. I just get one error icon at the right bottom of the screen. That nasty looking bug! Program cannot do an automatic thumbnail screen capture or something. Other than that, again, I am impressed with the graphics as well as the user-friendly menu system. Good job!

So I installed T:ANE and as soon as I open the launcher I get a message saying "Unable to start Database Repair - Engine startup failed"
What does this mean and how can fix it I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no resolve so what can I do?
Please Help Me Out!

lachlan0a0

I installed it on beefy PC win 7 - 64 it runs fine at 2560 x 1600 res, the shader,s are not activated, game runs quiet smooth, lets hope the shader activation don't kill the frame rate!
Also I imported some railcars from TRS12 and its all working, only dislikes so far the scenery pops in and out of view in a rather annoying way, and yes I have tried many different settings, hope this can be fixed.

Cheers
Walt

OK, here goes:
The download although pretty slow failed the first time but ran to completion the second (downloaded 7AM HST) which seems to be one of the best times.
Installation went without any problems and the alternate location file location worked as it did in pre-beta and beta.
To the comments above I'm on a high-end laptop with an i7 chip and 105mbs connection and it takes almost 30 minutes before my installation starts, much longer than was originally talked about in beta. After it starts the installation takes close to 60 minutes.
A few issues:
If you run the tutorials on different days it seems to loose the fact you ran them before.
I still have problems in the tutorials with the arrow keys now working on panning unless I first hit the right mouse button first, except on free roaming.
I have availability to additional asset downloads. They fail when downloading all. One at a time they work fine but with simc:sc274 I've run into a problem. I downloaded the first segment yesterday and the remaining ones today. The first segment yesterday said it installed OK before I quit. Today, everything was fine but the first segment did now show installed. When I tried to install it, the install never finished after over 2 hours. The final segment/application never would install I think because the first one never was recognized as installed. After trying a number of different things I've come to conclusion that the only way to correct this is to uninstall and start over.
I tried to run Season Town Northern RR but the scenery wasn't complete and there was no driver nor anyone to select.
I ran C & O Hilton Division with two sessions:
On Thurmond Empties everything went fine until I got to Thurmond. It never recognized I decoupled the consist and never changed the red signal I was facing. I assumed the two were connected.
I've tried Avis Yard Work once and it didn't work. I could unload but the Mallet House wasn't listed which was my next location and like Thurmond it never recognzied I had uncoupled from the original consist.
I had no problem with my mouse until the latest beta version and this one. The mouse is suddenly erratic, however the trackpad is OK. I have no idea what is going on but the mouse is almost unusable. It's a Microsoft wireless mouse and work perfectly on everything else.
Really big steps have been made since this all started for anyone who hasn't been part of this before.

OK, here goes:
The download although pretty slow failed the first time but ran to completion the second (downloaded 7AM HST) which seems to be one of the best times.
Installation went without any problems and the alternate location file location worked as it did in pre-beta and beta.
To the comments above I'm on a high-end laptop with an i7 chip and 105mbs connection and it takes almost 30 minutes before my installation starts, much longer than was originally talked about in beta. After it starts the installation takes close to 60 minutes.
A few issues:
If you run the tutorials on different days it seems to loose the fact you ran them before.
I still have problems in the tutorials with the arrow keys now working on panning unless I first hit the right mouse button first, except on free roaming.
I have availability to additional asset downloads. They fail when downloading all. One at a time they work fine but with simc:sc274 I've run into a problem. I downloaded the first segment yesterday and the remaining ones today. The first segment yesterday said it installed OK before I quit. Today, everything was fine but the first segment did now show installed. When I tried to install it, the install never finished after over 2 hours. The final segment/application never would install I think because the first one never was recognized as installed. After trying a number of different things I've come to conclusion that the only way to correct this is to uninstall and start over.
I tried to run Season Town Northern RR but the scenery wasn't complete and there was no driver nor anyone to select.
I ran C & O Hilton Division with two sessions:
On Thurmond Empties everything went fine until I got to Thurmond. It never recognized I decoupled the consist and never changed the red signal I was facing. I assumed the two were connected.
I've tried Avis Yard Work once and it didn't work. I could unload but the Mallet House wasn't listed which was my next location and like Thurmond it never recognzied I had uncoupled from the original consist.
I had no problem with my mouse until the latest beta version and this one. The mouse is suddenly erratic, however the trackpad is OK. I have no idea what is going on but the mouse is almost unusable. It's a Microsoft wireless mouse and work perfectly on everything else.
Really big steps have been made since this all started for anyone who hasn't been part of this before.

I was hoping for something more and obviously got less ................ program leave a lot to be desired a this point....... step backwards at least for this trainz fan I will wait for Feb 27 before final verdict on this cluster *&#@ and thank goodness for TRS12

Respectfully halfmoon

Well I have downloaded and played this game over the weekend and up to now haven't found anything different from the original game so some what disappointed.

I have tried making a starter route and not been impressed for starters the brush strokes are the same so trying to make your route look good hasn't been possible, also when saving the game it freezes the computer so its Ctrl/Alt/Del to exit game so I have got to hope that when the finished game is released in February that these small problems have been sorted.

I downloaded build 70957 and it downloaded and installed. I was able to run the program after installation. It did not have the locomotive as was previously mentioned. I understand this is a beta though I received a message that it was available as a bonus for preordering the Deluxe version. My primary observation has been that every time the screens that indicate things are loading come up they remain without progress for at least a half hour every time. From looking at the Developer logs it appears that there were several stack dumps of the threads.

Well i re downloaded and re-installed and concentrated on the Freightliner Scenario on the ECML route.
I have reached Berwick without any gameplay problems. here are a few obsversations.
The game will not enter full screen?.
The run was ruined by.
Totally Black trees begining at 34.69 mls
Brown Sea at 49.91 mls.
I hope this is not a problem with my NVINDA GeForce GTX 560 Graphics Card.

It is the same in both DVI and HDMI outputs.

Has anyone else had this problem?.

Mike

Back