Article: Trainz: A New Era Community Edition Review

Being as this is brand new (Yes after 35 years in IT I should know better than to install a 1.0 release) but I installed T:ANE and all I get is a "Database failed to start" error. This is right when I click on the TANE icon. I cant seem to do anything. Any ideas how to fix this?

Auch bei mir kam die gleiche Meldung "Database failed to start"!!
Während der Installation wurden viele Kuidnummern mit Daten geladen.
Diese waren in keinem Ordner sichtbar, das heisst, dass die Ordner leer waren.
Ebenfalls wollte ich die Userdaten von Trainz 12 laden, aber wohin???

I have managed to get as far a ready to drive, but there is no Locomotive, I am not sure how to uninstall and re install?.

Mike

Being as this is brand new (Yes after 35 years in IT I should know better than to install a 1.0 release) but I installed T:ANE and all I get is a "Database failed to start" error. This is right when I click on the TANE icon. I cant seem to do anything. Any ideas how to fix this?

I had the same problem when i click the desktop icon, but when click the origional icon in programs, I got a bit further.

Mike

fasttree

I had the same problem when i click the desktop icon, but when click the origional icon in programs, I got a bit further.

Mike

Hi I have been able to run the program. but I have noticed that the radio buttons do not light up under the curser. you have to move the curser to an area round the buttom that seem random.. this is obviously something that will improve but it stumped me for a while aa every thing seemed frozen ..

I've been able to run the sim also...very slow to load...and even after changing the video settings....choosing full screen mode...it just stays in windowed mode ......other than that it plays well...looking forward to some improvements

cpu-i 5
ssd- 500gb
hdd- 1 tb
gpu- gforce GTX 760

After installing TANE, rebooting and running the Developer Rebuild database, I still have over 100 faulty built-in assets.

Has anyone else reported this. It looks as though error checking wasn't frozen on these assets.

After fixing a couple of locos I was able to run the ECML session (Flying Scotsman).

Cheers

I can select 3840 x 1024 on a triple screen setup, but the content is just stretched across the view rather filling the view with a wider FOV, is there a way to change that?

Hi Kurby, can you please provide us some details about your computer hardware? Or could you check via the dxdiag if your GPU supports DirectX 11?

Regards,
Sidds

I've been able to run the sim also...very slow to load...and even after changing the video settings....choosing full screen mode...it just stays in windowed mode ......other than that it plays well...looking forward to some improvements

cpu-i 5
ssd- 500gb
hdd- 1 tb
gpu- gforce GTX 760

Changing some of the settings in Launcher needs a restart of the game, which will need every instance of T:ANE including the launcher/database repair/content manager/profiler etc windows to be closed down.

We have already implemented a feature where the Launcher prompts you to restart the game if any of the settings need it.

What settings are your running on Trainz Launcher>Options>Performance tab, and Ingame>Main Menu>Video Options?

Regards,
Sidds

I've noticed that any 4:3 aspect ration resolution looks OK, but anything 'wide:screen' - aka 16:9 or 16:10 - all the cars look wider than they should be. I'm a '3 screener' - running at 5760 x 1080 and I did some testing - any resolution above 1280x1024 shows the squish... I'm tinkering and doing more testing - see if I can find anything else that might help... <G>
Looks pretty good so far as the game goes!

Something else I noticed - when you click the TANE icon, if you have the TANE window too close to the top of the screen, and click Settings - the Settings window opens centered on the TANE window, side to side, but the top of the Settings window is well above the top edge of the screen. Only way to move it is to Alt-Space, M (Move), use arrow keys to move it down, and hit enter to drop the window to a place where the mouse can grab the upper border of it. Looks like we missed a 'boundry check' ? <G>

LOL - Ok, DO NOT try it at 5760x1080! Unless you want to look like you're driving trains on Venus or some other planet with HUGE gravity! LOL Cars/Trees/Buildings look about 3-4 times as wide as they should be with only about 1/3 the height! Ok, Ok - I'll go back to 1280x1024 for now - but ya gotta admit - that looks hilarious! <G>

I downloaded the TANE:CE file last night and installed it today. With this being the base version install at over 13GB I expect my Deluxe install to take even more. I am seeing comments about startup problems and am pleased that my copy started up ok. The only slowdown was getting authenticated on the Internet account, I entered the wrong password the first time and after correction all was good. I started using the tutorials again to see the content on the screen. I am running with all video options maxed and no performance problems noted. I have been in IT for 30+ years and am also leary of beta and version 1.0, however I have been eagerly waiting since I saw the initial announcement and my pre-order did not take long to submit. My system specs probably help for performance

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
Intel I-7 3.4GHz
16 GB
GeForce GTX 650Ti 2 GB
Primary HDD 500 GB WD Black (SATA 3) and 3 1TB data drives
LED 1920x1080

Full screen mode looks great and since this is a beta version I am expecting even more detail on the final one. I have not tried to run on both monitors since my second one is older and is only 1680x1050.

Hopefully all of you having problems get a resolution and can enjoy this too.

Having been through all the alphas and betas I can say that the CE version is the best so far. Yesterday, I loaded one of my routes that in previous alphas and betas looked rather dreadful but in CE it looks at least as good as TS12.

OK, there are still some problems and my consists and scenery look a little squished but I can see some significant progress.

I downloaded the community edition this morning - went to install the program - that's as far as it went - setup crashed - task manager reports that the program is not responding - error message says
Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: setup.tmp
Application Version: 51.52.0.0
Application Timestamp: 2a425e19
Hang Signature: 7041
Hang Type: 2048
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 7041d0a9637a7808d9b0d2f8c1a540d0
Additional Hang Signature 2: 9bae
Additional Hang Signature 3: 9bae9147c5aea343d35ebdc60bbbbca7
Additional Hang Signature 4: 7041
Additional Hang Signature 5: 7041d0a9637a7808d9b0d2f8c1a540d0
Additional Hang Signature 6: 9bae
Additional Hang Signature 7: 9bae9147c5aea343d35ebdc60bbbbca7

maybe it could be a corrupt download - any help would be appreciated

Hi Mistermoet,

Currently, the installer is known to become (Not Responding) in Task Manager for quite some time (15-20 mins depending on your hardware config), but it should not crash unless you try to Force kill the process.

If it appears to be Not Responding, give it some time, go for a coffee :) If it crashes as soon as you fire it up, it might be a corrupt download. Try the first check of leaving the installer for some time, if that doesn't work and crashes, send an email to : anewera@n3vgames.com Put Re: Sidds in the subject line. I will send you a MD5 checksum tag to verify your download and get you an alternate link.

Regards,
Sidds

LOL - Ok, DO NOT try it at 5760x1080! Unless you want to look like you're driving trains on Venus or some other planet with HUGE gravity! LOL Cars/Trees/Buildings look about 3-4 times as wide as they should be with only about 1/3 the height! Ok, Ok - I'll go back to 1280x1024 for now - but ya gotta admit - that looks hilarious! <G>

I have been playing with various aspect ratios when I was testing 4k and Surround/Eyefinity compatibility and bugging the devs with funny screenshots :)
Rest assured that aspect ratio scaling is fixed in the development build. Once I get my hands on a stable one, I will post some lovely 4K screenshots here for all my fellow multi-monitor fans :)

Regards,
Sidds

Back