Where is it? Trainz gutted it and left just the cfg file.

If I had the CDP I would not post ....sheese
I spend most of my trainz time trying to find and repair gutted asset folders.
I can't remember the last time I actuality had fun.
The good news is I have only 731 faulty assets to go.

Without a CDP, how did you originally get it in Trainz? I don't see it on the DLS. What is "gutted" asset folders. Did Trainz delete the contents of the folders? If you go to your back up folder, are the missing files there?

Without a CDP, how did you originally get it in Trainz? I don't see it on the DLS. What is "gutted" asset folders. Did Trainz delete the contents of the folders? If you go to your back up folder, are the missing files there?

Because then I had a CDP now I don't.
Yes Trainz deleted all but config.txt and shadow folder files.
Of course I checked the backup folder.

Trainz also gutted brand new
Trainz Forge C&S Maintenance of Way rolling stock
I had to re-download and commit.

Trainz selectively deleting files without any user imput? Did Trainz also delete the CDP file? That's a serious accusation since it implies capabilities beyond just normal maintenance.
By backup folder, I meant other than in the Trainz generated Userdata/backups folders. Mine are on another drive on the network.

Trainz will delete corrupt content and throw it in a trash folder, but it shouldn't delete the original CDPs. This sounds like a collaboration between Trainz and the user. :)

We can blame Trainz for a lot of things, but we do know it can't open the fridge either and steal the soda and beer, or maybe it does and we don't know it! :D

John

Check if the partition or the hard drive your Trainz is on, whether this is full with no room to spare. It happened to me once, Trainz kept backing up and backing up (back ups wrongly set by me) and soon I run out of hard drive space. Trainz trashed some installs I was doing at the time and these went into the black hole, where trashed content normally goes when running out of room on a hard disk.

You would have thought Trainz would give one a warning when low on space on that partition or hard drive (bad programming).

After making room on my hard drive, I restored a previous back up and got all my missing stuff back. After deleting most old back ups, just keeping some for "just in case", I gained some 2 GB of extra space on my hard drive where Trainz was on.

Go figure.

Lennard

The question is, why did a Payware Engine get gutted.
I have it in AssetX and it is Trz v2 did I miss a up-date.
I guess Ill drop drop in : 3rd Party Partners /JR and see what I can find out.
Thanks for heads up RRSignal

Check if the partition or the hard drive your Trainz is on, whether this is full with no room to spare. It happened to me once, Trainz kept backing up and backing up (back ups wrongly set by me) and soon I run out of hard drive space. Trainz trashed some installs I was doing at the time and these went into the black hole, where trashed content normally goes when running out of room on a hard disk.

You would have thought Trainz would give one a warning when low on space on that partition or hard drive (bad programming).

After making room on my hard drive, I restored a previous back up and got all my missing stuff back. After deleting most old back ups, just keeping some for "just in case", I gained some 2 GB of extra space on my hard drive where Trainz was on.

Go figure.

Lennard

+1
After every reinstall just about the first thing you should do is reset that "Backup" figure from 7 to 1, I also had a Trainz install trashed by the programme filling up my HD.

As regards cdp or content folders, I also learned the hard way a few years back these should be stored well outside the Trainz install path (perhaps in your Documents folder or a sub-directory of your personal Download folder) after a route I was working on kindly got reverted to its raw import state from Transdem, after the programme somehow found that initial version in the Editing folder and kindly overwrote my nice WIP route.

Not saying that's the issue here, but good file management practice is essential - not to mention if you buy something via download and there's no "Cloud" archive (e.g. as with Steam) make sure you keep a separate, safe, backup.

..., but good file management practice is essential - not to mention if you buy something via download and there's no "Cloud" archive (e.g. as with Steam) make sure you keep a separate, safe, backup.
Good point. Whenever someone starts with "it goes without saying ..." it usually means it should be said. Always make a backup, store it in a safe place and test it once in a while before you really need it. Nothing like thinking you're covered because you made a back up only to discover that something went wrong and the backup failed for whatever reason. Then it's too late and a lot of work has to be redone.

Back