Need help using the HOG program and MicroDEM

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
Ok, today I've begun the starting process of building my hometown route, Yankton SD, and I'm learning the HOG program and MicroDEM. Problem is, that the DEM does not open in MicroDEM, and the other stuff as well. What am I doing wrong in this situation? Do I need to convert the DEM to an older format, or what?

Well, I already sorted the problem out, but I had to download an older version to load the DEM's. It was due to the way the old DEM's were coded that they could not load properly in the latest release of MicroDEM. It's due to the file being a .dem.stsd.tar.gz file, where as a regular DEM from today is just .dem.

You are the official HOG master creator ... please keep us up to date with more details, and tips.

I would like for you to teach me how to use HOG.

Whatever happened to Fishlipsatwork, the grand master of HOG ?

Last edited:
Well, I already sorted the problem out, but I had to download an older version to load the DEM's. It was due to the way the old DEM's were coded that they could not load properly in the latest release of MicroDEM. It's due to the file being a .dem.stsd.tar.gz file, where as a regular DEM from today is just .dem.

You cant untar the gzip file to a .dem?

7zip should let you unarchive the archived archive back to the .dem file.

John

No. The files inside old DEM's are .ddf files. I already tried to convert it to modern format by standard means (the stsd2DEM convertor) but to no avail.

Back