Trees, Grass, Buildings, Track ... etc ... How You Gonna' Find That ?

There are in excess of 31379 assets on the DLS ... and probably at least twice that many on 3rd party sites.

Most have odd schpeeled names such as Waschenlaunge (Loco Washing Plant).

So by "odd," you mean not English? You seem to have been able to translate that one fine. The fact that you later use Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän as an example also shows me that you have at least some concept of the existence of German, which is a good start. You successfully identified a long word, so I think you're doing just fine without explicit English translations.

You also aren't helping your case by using your own moronic schpeeling.

While other assets, such as trees, and grass, are spread out all over the alphabet, from A to Z (Dub15m - Ziel Leaf Off)

Now how are you gonna search for a boxcar, when its name is not: BOXCAR ... it is called CFXT 86Ft Waffle Side Cushioned Car ... it's not even classified under what it is: a BOXCAR

Locos are the same way, named after road numbers, road names, wheel arrangement ... etc
Erie 0-6-0 Camelback ... it's not even classified under what it is: a LOCO-Steam

Well, let's see. I want an 86ft boxcar, so I open the search box, and type 86ft, and there they are. WOW!

I have proposed this on many occasions, to re-classify the DLS as to what exactly the asset is:
Tree, Grass, Building, Track, Loco Diesel, Loco Steam, Loco Electric, Boxcar, Flatcar, Tank, Hopper ... Dawg, Kat ... not non-descriptive names like: Skippy, nor Fluffy ... etc

How are you going to search for a box car, when it is under such a broad category: RAILCAR ... and there are no drop down sub-category search panes ... such as Railcar / Boxcar / 40Foot

Someone bright here will come up with the conclusion: "Why don't you just wade through all the 29654 Rolling Stock assets, just to to find your: BOXCAR ... that could take years to find it !

Ok... you go right ahead and do it.

In this case, I asked in a PM to someone about what trees and grass he was using ... I got a vague response, and I was told: "They are on a Russian site and are called Devero, I think" ???

Exactly how is it going to be easier to find a piece of content if you have a more specific name? kuids are the specific way of finding something, but that seems to be beyond your comprehension.

I deleted the rest of your post, because it was unrelated gibberish.

No, let's add some more.

There is only one filter on the White Pages DLS, for railcars: Rollingstock, 29652 assts to scroll through ... that sounds like allot of fun

False. There are version filters, and search filters for multiple criteria.

So for a SHIP ... I would search under "D" for Danube ???

According to you, there are only category search features, so how do you even propose to search alphabetically, anyway?

no one else can understand a word you are saying.
organizarion
Loco
---------->Stream
---------->Diesel
---------->Electric

Last edited:
OK ... Continue to bash this thread ... there is nothing wrong with the disorganization of the White / Black Pages DLS ... everything is just hunky dory there ... no need to fix things, or anything constructive like that.

Under: Trainz666 I see 256 Trees downloads, and much of them the same identical picture, or a totally unrelated obscure picture.

Danube Steam Ship Captain. Your argument is invalid.

Keep calm and carry on,
And to search SHIP: there are 292 downloads, and most of them aren't even ships.
So my point is valid !

PRR8.jpg

Joram's SD45's exit the Spruce Creek tunnel, my favorite Tunnel3_1 voie

Last edited:
OK ... Continue to bash this thread ... there is nothing wrong with the disorganization of the White / Black Pages DLS ... everything is just hunky dory there ... no need to fix things, or anything constructive like that.

Under: Trainz666 I see 256 Trees downloads, and much of them the same identical picture, or a totally unrelated obscure picture.
DOWNLOAD ALLLL THE TREESSSS i did

DOWNLOAD ALLLL THE TREESSSS i did
I'm sure that I will ! Thank you for the hint of where to get those fabulous trees ... Thanks again !

I am looking for various other non-speed trees, and grasses, that look just as good like the Trainz666 trees do, Fall / Winter with very realisticly detailed scruffy trunks and branches ... Like in Deadpoolmx55, Ekankal, Conrail45, and Mezzoprezzo ... etc ... screenshots

1000mm_cmNGRusty5.jpg

Skippy and his fellow pups lounge on the NG 36" flatcar on a hot summer day on the Wopsononock RR ... as Brown Cow looks on

1000mm_cnNGRusty (36' NG track)

Last edited:

And to search SHIP: there are 292 downloads, and most of them aren't even ships.
So my point is valid

Actually, your point is that you would look in "D" for Danube rather than "S" for ship. According to your point, you have 145091 assets which contain the letter S to look through, instead of 101944 containing the letter D. The author actually did you a favor by putting the hypothetical ship under Danube.

And yes, download all the trees. Even if you don't want them all, 292 of them is not hard to go through and evaluate what you want to keep.

Why is this in the screenshots forum, anyway?

Last edited:
Why is this in the screenshots forum, anyway?
I was hoping that others would post their screenshots, and relate what trees, grass ... etc ... that they use, ... and tell others where they can be downloaded at, or offer kuids ... instead, I get bashing, snippy, snide, rude, insulting remarks ... when I try to make a point about the disorganization of the naming in the in-Game DLS / White / Black Pages DLS

trainz2011-12-1423-18-26-82.jpg

The track is RTS (Romanian Trainz Studio) available on another site, and the Stone Shed is on the DLS

The Horseshoe Curve had temporary turnouts laid, on 2 separate occasions, on both sides of the "Curve" ... on the south side when they installed the #1361 ... and on the north side when they moved it, and installed the GP9.

Possibly this thread is hopelessly derailed:
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200905/MVC-253S_62259311-A666-DD48-D43EC10A70050342.JPG
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200905/MVC-259S_62246FFD-B7BB-1913-27DEC7FCFD93A5E6.JPG
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/RippedFreightCar.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/TrainTipping-1.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/OreHopperOverfill.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, but if that's your intent, you really didn't articulate it whatsoever. Your post read as if those were examples for all DLS searches. I can't help, because I'm not at a point where I have a go-to set of plants. I can only try to understand you.

Really though, why are you trying to make a point about the disorganization of the DLS in the screenshots forum? Shouldn't this really be two threads? It'd help your post count.

I think you'll just have to live with the system. Trainz is a Global game so there will always be a language barrier but as its been pointed out you can easily translate words and sometimes it just takes trial and error to find items.

Improve your language skills

There are plenty of translation tools available on line.

You could also always learn a language to improve international communication. Don't expect the non-English speaking nationals to always provide the easy way out.

The northern mainland Europeans are pretty good at it though, particularly the Dutch and Germans.

Try this.

Cheers
Casper
:cool:

Well, cascade, I have to hand it to you... The fact that this thread hit 3 pages in a matter of hours.... Thats something special...... I'm still stuck on "How did this thread go from bashing the White Pages, to a plug for sci-fi fictional routes?". It has now carried on into Asset Search Dissertation and for all I can tell, Foreign Language displeasure?

And btw, I'm curious, what KUIDs are on the Black/White Pages that DON'T show up in CM search?

Falcus

btw, I'm curious, what KUIDs are on the Black/White Pages that DON'T show up in CM search?
Falcus
A whole slew of them ... the vast majority of assets on the DLS White / Black pages are not on the in-game DLS.

12-21-12Planets.jpg

As Cascaderailroad's PRR TGV's derail headlong into a river of molten lava, on the Volcano route, on the DLS

But how are you going to search for: "Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän" ... if you don't even know what that is, and what category it falls under ?

Loco
---------->Stream
---------->Diesel
---------->Electric

Railcar
---------->Box
---------->Flat
---------->Tank
---------->Passenger

---------->Flora
---------->Tree
---------->Grass

Fauna
---------->Dog
---------->Cat
---------->Farm Animal

Building
---------->Station
---------->Factory
---------->House

Trackside
---------->Signal
---------->Lever
---------->Catenary

Track
---------->US SG
---------->4ft 8 1/2 " (1430)
---------->42" (1.066)
---------->36" (0.914)
---------->EU
---------->RU

Hallo cascaderailroad,

you have started an interesting thread here.
Actually I agree sometimes it is really hard to find something if we are looking for some special things.
And yes sometimes it seems that several asset names does not make really sense - except to the creator - off course :)

My Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel-Project contains nearly 1200 assets including about 1040 assets been created by me. I always tried to use asset names which makes sense - even to other users. But unfortunately it is not always possible to meet each category. E.g. If I created a set of sheds (by using mesh library technique) I tried to include the word shed into the asset names - even several barns became part of that asset series as well. And even worse some of that sheds are wearing a wood-texture - others bricks of several colors, but still all assets uses the same library.

If a creator creates more than 1000 assets he always attempts to include some information for himself into the asset names to maintain some overview to handle the large number of his own assets. Especially if he works at a route project and if he wants to be able to select his own assets out of the asset lists in surveyor quickly. To deal everytime with several filters is one way - but no the fastest.

Another way is for example to make his own user name part of the asset names e.g TUME-Shed-Wood-001. In addition to this a lot of the creators needs to handle as many asset kuid numbers as assets they have created. In case of such a large number of assets a creator needs to maintain a little order about his numbers. A nice way is, to include the number (or a part of it) into the asset name e.g. TUME-770-Shed-Big-24x13x7 or TUME-782-Shed-Big-10x6x5 or TUME-796-Barn-25x13 or TUME-800-House-Avery or TUME-801-Depot-Avery or TUME-802-Depot-Mullan ... and so on. In addition to this the asset name should not be too long to fit more less into the indication window of the asset lists in surveyor. It makes it even more difficult to find the assets inside that list if the name is too long.

Other asset names have a history e.g. TUME-Y-44092-L2-DL1-Si+Sh-102-TS12. I used the TUME part to find it in the list quickly. The Y is the survivor of the word yarn and the other parts of the name refers to the way of naming road names once been introduced by Maddy Asher who started to create her yarn road system. I kept the Y inside my road asset names to indicate that this asset fits to the existing yarn system - while my assets supports season change in addition. Of course you cannot find the word "road" inside that asset name - sorry for that :)

It is a nice attempt to suggest something like a system for assets to be named - your start looks not bad, but it still needs some more points and even sub-points I guess.
E.g. Rivers or Creeks, Rocks and Boulders, Groundtexture-Grass, Groundtexture-Gravel, Groundtexture-Forrest, Groundtexture-anything, Roads - here we would have a large sub-folder-system too.

If you think this to the end, you will come to the conclusion, that it will be quite hard to find a nice system for names that will consider all the issues I described above and to provide always asset names making it easy for users to find it in a way that seems to be easy and logically to all of them :)

But please keep thinking - I am open for new ideas about that :)
Your's TUME

Last edited:
There are plenty of translation tools available on line.

You could also always learn a language to improve international communication. Don't expect the non-English speaking nationals to always provide the easy way out.

The northern mainland Europeans are pretty good at it though, particularly the Dutch and Germans.

Try this.

Cheers
Casper
:cool:

Hahahahaha I about fell out of my chair when I watched this.

If a creator creates more than 1000 assets he always attempts to include some information for himself into the asset names to maintain some overview to handle the large number of his own assets. Especially if he works at a route project and if he wants to be able to select his own assets out of the asset lists in surveyor quickly. To deal everytime with several filters is one way - but no the fastest.

Another way is for example to make his own user name part of the asset names e.g TUME-Shed-Wood-001.
Other asset names have a history e.g. TUME-Y-44092-L2-DL1-Si+Sh-102-TS12. I used the TUME part to find it in the list quickly.

But please keep thinking - I am open for new ideas about that :)
Your's TUME

I totally agree with a creators name being the head of the assets title.

I downloaded all of RGCX's railcars, and meticulously edited each and every one of their config file username tags, with the prefix: RGCX
Now I can find all his railcars lumped into one alphabetical area on my surveyor pick list (and can make a 52 mile long RGCX train) :hehe:

Screen_034.jpg

The Rockville Bridge between Harrisburg and Marysville was the site of a derailment, when the bridge mortar was becoming weak from the decades water freezing and thawing. Several hoppers crashed through the Railing Zinc, into the Susquehanna river. Today the once 4 tracked bridge has been downgraded to 2 tracks. Many support through bolt rod reinforcements have been bolted into place, as a temporary patch to hold the bridge together. The bridge also carries several pipelines, and cables across the Susquehanna river, bolted to its side span.

Screen_037.jpg

The original Rockville bridge (in the background) was once a wooden through truss, and burnt down before the turn of the 20th century, and was replaced by a steel span, before the present Rockville bridges was constructed. It is the longest stone arch bridge in the world.

Last edited:
You dont need to edit each asset for RGCX assets. Just in game use the search filter. Author: RGCX Category: Rolling stock. This will have all of his rollingstock in filtered to use. Kinda hard to help people gather stuff, when you dont remember where you got stuff. My Trainz collection spans 8-9 years, so of course iam going to have custom assets, ghostware, or other stuff.

How many Trainzers are in these Countries below, and other Countries not named ?
What is the poulation of each of these Countries
Some Countries have several separate dialects of a certain language, that nearby fellow countrymen can not understand what they are saying.
If a person was to travel to another County for a vacation, or a permanent move, what language would they most likely encounter ?
If one were to vist most of Europe, US, Australia, they would encounter English, and would most likely have to learn that language to cope.
If you were a businessman, doctor lawyer, student ... etc ... you would want to be able to converse in English on the phone to get things done.
Spanish is a huge language spread all over the globe, but in the Country of Spain, how many Trainzers are there ? Quite allot ... but Not many !
So English would the most prevelant language wanted by people traveling abroad, and in Trainz.

If you know some broken English, and are aware that the vast majority of Trainzers wanting assets would be speaking the English language ... but find it easier to typing in you own select dialect (that covers only a small portion of the globe), why would you purposely want to segregate your assets with a minority Country language. It just doesn't make sense to name an asset in the Cambodian language, when the percentage of Trainzers speaking English are well over 75%. The same goes for Russian and German assets ... by purposely avoiding using English, the worlds largest language, because you are too lax to learn and use English, just doesn't pan out on a global scale ... The most prevalent language in the world (unless you want to count Spanish as the worlds largest language) ... but still, the number of English speaking trainzers, far outnumbers the Spanish speaking community.

I would think that in Non-English speaking Countries, that schools would push for their students to learn English as a choice second language, for them to succeed globaly.

How many Trainzers, what percentage, are in these Countries below, and other Countries not named ?

Africa
Norway
Holland
Denmark
Sweden
Greenland
Germany
Italy
Portugal
Spain
France
India
China
Various Russian area Countries
Russia
Mexico
England
Australia
Canada

Screen_001-47_zps975db631.jpg

My ALCO Land WIP - Hump Classification Yard, holds well over 8700 railcars, and hundreds of locomotives, and is available here: https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/New+Folder+(3)/_e7d9f750513842bfb03c4d0c7375d28e

Last edited:
... It just doesn't make sense to name an asset in the Cambodian language, when the percentage of Trainzers speaking English are well over 75%. The same goes for Russian and German assets ... by purposely avoiding using English, the worlds largest language, because you are too lax to learn and use English, just doesn't pan out on a global scale ... The most prevalent language in the world (unless you want to count Spanish as the worlds largest language) ... ...
and with that I think this thread has derailed, jumped the shark, etc.
As for most native speakers, more people speak Mandarin so perhaps we should all learn that instead.:eek: And yes more people also speak Spanish than English.

Back