Any interest in a Norfolk & Western project?

hi jrcrawford4,
if you are really interested in making a high quality, high detail route of the NW (which guessing from your other routes you are :)) then i would be glad to skin you some diesels and mabye steamers and buildings (if you can supply the pics;)) also if you want help with route building i could help with that too.

nikos

Hey that's great! Let me do some research and see about photos of things. I'm willing to supply things like that, depending on cost. Some archival stuff can get really expensive. But I'll see what I can find and let you know. Only thing I probably can't do is travel up to the Roanoke area to take photos (unfortunately) - I can't get away from my "real" job. Not the next several months anyway.:)

Other thing I need to do is check on the availability of maps and DEMs. I don't think DEMs will be a problem, but I just want to check and see if what's available will fit into what I know how to do (which ain't much :p).

Is everybody sort of happy with the Roanoke area? Roanoke itself is enormous (been looking at it with Google Earth) and the shops - if done to the nth degree - are going to be a bear to do. But, on the other hand, N&W and Virginian ran pretty close together around there before the merger, so it also creates the opportunity to have a little diversity (Virginian FM Trainmasters on one side of the river; A's and Y's on the other. Drool!). Anyhow - if Roanoke is ok, I'll start with that and see what's involved.

Cheers!
Rob

Maybe

Maybe we could divide up this project? I mean we could all put together some small moduals and hook them up as the full route. It would save stress on alot of us. In that case we could model a few differnt areas in quicker time! I would have to sick to a small space but it can be done!

Me and jrcrawford4 can do the track work....nikos1 and ethandude can do the models(trains, reskins, buildings, rollingstock)....and some more people could do stuff...here are some pics of stuff im working on right now...

this is my current NG fictional route based in the U.S.
trainz2006-11-2920-57-43-23.jpg

trainz2006-11-2920-57-29-03.jpg

that was 2 days ago, this is what i did today...
Screen_005.jpg

hope you like it.

mike.

Hey that's great! Let me do some research and see about photos of things. I'm willing to supply things like that, depending on cost. Some archival stuff can get really expensive. But I'll see what I can find and let you know. Only thing I probably can't do is travel up to the Roanoke area to take photos (unfortunately) - I can't get away from my "real" job. Not the next several months anyway.:)

Other thing I need to do is check on the availability of maps and DEMs. I don't think DEMs will be a problem, but I just want to check and see if what's available will fit into what I know how to do (which ain't much :p).

Is everybody sort of happy with the Roanoke area? Roanoke itself is enormous (been looking at it with Google Earth) and the shops - if done to the nth degree - are going to be a bear to do. But, on the other hand, N&W and Virginian ran pretty close together around there before the merger, so it also creates the opportunity to have a little diversity (Virginian FM Trainmasters on one side of the river; A's and Y's on the other. Drool!). Anyhow - if Roanoke is ok, I'll start with that and see what's involved.

Cheers!
Rob

The Roanoke area sounds good, and then maybe expanding to inlcude a subdivision at a later time.:) I could handle making the trains if I was given a decent amount of time to do so.:D

Ethan:)

Well, I'm going to look into the DEMs and will do the HOG and tracklaying. Depending on the size, we'll go from there, I think. As yet, we still need models of equipment and buildings, and need to explore the possibility of working through Auran. They may have zero interest. To be brutally honest, I'd think that if they were interested at all they might have posted here. But I know they have lots to do, so that's not a complaint. Just an observation. But there's no rush to do it; in fact, rushing it would be the worst thing.

One other thing - my real job keeps me pretty busy, so please bear with me. :)

Rob

I think I will be the Librarian! I am good at collecting info for routes (although none of my real life ones made it past inspection!)!

i dont want to get banned or have this thread deleted :)rolleyes:) but i for one am against working with auran, i have personal reasons and by working with auran that would probably limit the objects we could use (we would have to use default objects...barf) and it would make our route payware and there are some creators that dont want their stuff used in payware routes ( including the creators of some of my favorite objects.)
just my opinion...

While the N&W isn't a favorite railroad of mine, I could contribute a Y2, K3, or M2 to the project. It might even be possible to talk me into doing a J or Y3. I'll pass on the Y6s and As, though.

Cheers,
Ben

Back