2010 upgrades

Hmmm, do you know if your CPU is Dual or Quad Core? (I highly doubt its single core with that much Ram and Win7). If you know how to check Device Manager it'll have a listing for every core (So 4 for a Quad, or 2 For Core Duo).

After that, to boot in safe mode you restart your computer like normal, but as soon as it powers down and powers back up hold down F12 (IIRC?) and it'll come up with a list of options you can use the arrow keys to select with. Select "Boot in Safe Mode" or something similar and that will boot the computer in safe mode. Try patching it like that. Regardless of outcome you'll have to reboot again normally to come back on here to tell us about what happens (Safe mode generally shuts off Net access amongst other things, but its one of the few guaranteed ways to make sure your computer is only running on bare bones minimums so nothing interferes with whatever it is you're doing).

After all of that, the only thing I can think of is one of your Patch Files is corrupted. IDK if you've tried re-downloading the Patches yet, but thats something to try.

Falcus
Hi Falcus,
I have been trying the auto-updater, the one that appears as soon as you start 2010. I just click OK (or whatever it is) and off it goes to get the file. The problem with it seems to be the archive it's putting on my PC, it says it cannot access it. It downloads a new file each time I try so if it's corrupted then it's with wherever the file is coming from and then onto my PC.
I might try uninstalling (for the umpteenth time) and force 2010 into its own folder rather than sharing with the Auran one that has 2004 and Paintshed in it. It would mean installing paintshed into that folder I expect otherwise 2010 won't recognise it, not that it was in the first place, but there you are, Trainz versions are mysterious things.

Angela

No, that didn't work. I'm still getting the same message that the upgrade 41622 to 44088 is not the one I need and aborts. It IS the ruddy one I need, 41622 is clearly stated on the 2010 start menu. God knows what's going on, I'm getting fed up with it all and may go back to 2004, at least that works.

Angela

Can't find Device Manager in Win7, they've hidden it somewhere best known to themselves!
Uninstalled and reinstalled to a separate folder and ran the auto patcher again but it aborted once more. Something very odd going on here.

Angela

Can't find Device Manager in Win7, they've hidden it somewhere best known to themselves!
Uninstalled and reinstalled to a separate folder and ran the auto patcher again but it aborted once more. Something very odd going on here.

Angela

Hi Angela! :)

It's easy....

Open up Control Panel.
Open up System
Look on the left side panel for Device Manager.

There's an alternate way, which you may or may not find easy or not.

Right-click on Computer in Explorer or on your Desktop.
Choose Manage
You'll see Device Manager in the list and pick that.

Hope this helps, and I hope things are going okay for you. :)

John

Still not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at! There are 8 of something listed under processors, is that it? Clicked loads of items but nothing really comes together as a main processor.

Angela

Hey Angelah

In the Device Manager there should be a Listing of "Processors". Those will be your CPU(s, multiple if you have dual, quad, or even octocores though I wouldn't think you'd have an 8 core computer unless you dropped a couple grand on it). Just select whats there, copy it (Ctrl C) and Paste it into a post here (Ctrl P). It'll probably say something like "Intel XXX @ 3.20 GHZ" or "AMD XXX @ 3.20GHZ" or something similar.

That said.... You said you've only done the Auto-Patcher through the Game Menu itself? Have you tried Manually downloading the Patch and Installing it yourself (This isn't too difficult, they come with self-extracting Patchers, you just run them like a program and you can direct it to where the program is installed). I forget the URL you need to go to to Download the Patchs, Shane or JCitron I think will have that though.

I'm sorry you're having this much trouble with it! I will say that where you install it shouldn't matter, so if you end up re-installing it again, I encourage you to put it where you want.

I will also say that, though this is frustrating, I think once were through this particular bit, it'll be alot smoother sailing.

Falcus

Processors

Is this what you want?

I think somehow I've managed to put 2 images up, if they are even up at all! Struggled with P'bucket a bit now it's all changed.

Angela

No, only the one image.

Yup, that is what I was looking for. You have a very nice Quad Core CPU there! XD. Not sure why its listing each core twice, but w/e.

Did you ever try patching in Safe mode? or Manually patching?

Falcus

It's the HyperThreading feature of the i7 processor. Windows counts each real core as 2 virtual cores.

Peter

Yup, that is what I was looking for. You have a very nice Quad Core CPU there! XD. Not sure why its listing each core twice, but w/e.

Did you ever try patching in Safe mode? or Manually patching?

Falcus

Yes, I did try patching using the stand-alone patch but that says it's not suitable for this version of Trainz.....!!!! It's the patch from 41622 to 44088.

Angela

Ok, a couple more questions.

I re-read bits of this thread. You said earlier that you had 44088 installed and working correct? And then did you uninstall it? or did it get corrupted? Or what happened to it?

You've also mentioned moving the folder its installed in during this latest bout of trying to get it working?

Do you have a Registry Cleaner like CCleaner? I'm starting to wonder if whats going on is maybe you have files left over from a previous installation... If your registry still has Trainz2010 files of a certain build, that might interfere.... /shrug.

If you don't, I would recommend CCleaner. Its very simple and transparent compared to most "Cleaners".
https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Edited to add, if you do get CCleaner, post here before you use it, or at least make sure you're dealing with its Registry Cleaner (Big Tab on the left side) rather then its HD cleaner. If you have your own, do a scan and look for any listing for Auran, N3V, or Trainz.

Falcus

Last edited:
Hi,
My PC crashed and it wouldn't work any more. It was a virus I think but the PC seems okay now.
Haven't got CCleaner but do have regclean somewhere on a big external drive.
Will Regclean do it?
Don't mind getting Ccleaner, I've used it before but it mucked up my main drive a bit, well a lot actually, but that was probably me using it incorrectly.

Angela

The trick with CCleaner (And most "Cleaners) is to stay away from their Hard Drive Cleaners and only use their Registry Cleaners.

The difference is that the Hard Drive Cleaners seek to clean what it deems to be "Unused/unwanted files" and sometimes they get it right (Adware cookies and the like), but then they also get it wrong too (Like The photo of Aunt Edna you haven't opened in 8 years but don't want to lose because its the only photo you have of her when she was still alive). The Hardware cleaners tend to have very ambiguous, and generally radically different from each other, search and delete parameters. CCleaner will let you select what types of files it looks at or deletes, but it won't let you give input on any other parameter. Regardless, I suggest staying away from all Hard Drive cleaners, at least as a function.

The Registry Cleaner on the other hand deals exclusively with the registry. This is a listing of programs and their components thats kept by your Operating System so it can find and use these as needed (Amongst other things). This list is much more straight forward (And almost never involves sentimental Family Pictures). The listings get old, outdated, broken, or whatever. As in the case of Uninstalling programs, sometimes an uninstaller will miss Registry Listings, and another program (Such as an installer), will see those listings and deem that you already have the program and there for block you from installing the program. CLeaning the registry can fix this.

I don't KNOW that this is whats going on with your computer atm, but its something thats worth trying.

I think Regcleaner is ok. THe name rings a bell, but I've only used CCleaner for about the last 6 years or so, so Im unfamiliar with it.

Falcus

Hi Falcus,
Got CCleaner and ran it, miles of errors. Also ran RegClean, some errors. But it's made no difference, the 41622 to 44088 still refuses to update 2010. Checked the start screen on 2010 and the low number is certainly the version it claims to be.

Angela

I've had another thought regarding the auto-patch method. To test this though, I will need you to follow a short step-by-step guide and let me know the answer that appears.

1.Click Start then Run.
2.Enter 'cmd' into the box then press Enter or click OK.
3.When the Command Prompt opens, enter set temp then press Enter.

The resulting answer from number 3 will hopefully identify if there is an issue with where the system is saving temporary files to.

Shane

Don't seem to have a 'Run' anywhere. There's a slot across the bottom but entering cmd in that takes me to a while menu that wants to shut down....

Angela

OK - there is a shortcut for the Run box - hold down the Windows key (usually next to Alt at the bottom of the keyboard) then press R.

Shane

OK - there is a shortcut for the Run box - hold down the Windows key (usually next to Alt at the bottom of the keyboard) then press R.

Shane

Thanks Shane, that worked okay. Temp files go to =
Temp=C:\User\angela\AppData\Local\Temp

So all is revealed at last. What now?

Angela

That's one good sign. Next thing I need to check is that you are running Trainz as administrator (this is not the same as simply using an administrator account).

Shane

Back