Project (and) Save Files

Neenee

Min'na Konnichia "(^.^)"

First of all, I am not sure to be at the right place regarding my questions but feel free to move
my topic.

Being an huge fan of trains/metros since young, I used to be in cab with real engineers explaining
anything and played many simulators (pc and real ones). When I discovered TS2006 and editor map
years ago, I always wanted to make a huge map but not any kind of wierdoz map. The map I am trying
to make is about Tokyo Subway Metropolitain. Without knowing if someone made it before, I do not
want to use "Subway" term but "Corridors". For exemple : Toei and Tokyo Line (Asakusa, Chiyoda,
Ginza, Mita, Oedo, Shinjuku) etc.

Being a beginner, I was looking on the map editor (yellow squares and tools to the right) and...
sugoi ! We can understand I am not a professional with this editor here "(^.^)" but I counted 72 x
72 yellow squares (if that is). So I opened my real TSM map and made a kind of blue "grid" on it :
http://www.internet-underground.org/public/trainz2006/tsm.png

In my case, one "yellow square" (in the map editor) is valued to 36 x 36 px. My real map is
pixelized to 2572 x 1818 (2572 / 72 sq = 36 px²) I know that is a huge project but I would like so
much "(^.^)"

Excluding backgrounds, grass and other details...

Q1. Is my project realizable ?

Q2. Do I have to learn many things before to start ?
People say "easy to use" on internet "(- . -)"

Q3. Can I make several lines (with crosslines and stations) on one map ? (as my map)
Or if I have to deal with only one corridor on loading session ?
For exemple, Toei Line : Asakusa [Nishimagome -> Oshiage] (with timeline/freeride)

Q4. If I start, where I can find my "save files" ? (File > Open / File > Save as)
I tried to check on many websites (that is why I am here) but I read
"C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006\local\content xxxxx\" -- Can you confirm ?

Arigatou gozaimasu "(^.^)"

Last edited:
The yellow grid lines are spaced at 10 metre intervals so a single baseboard is 720m x 720m. You can easily add (and delete) new baseboards as your project grows.

Q1. It depends on how much time you want to spend on this project and how many compromises you are prepared to make - for example: creating the Tokyo Subway as a surface only railway (with bridges for lines that cross over/under each other) would be easier that attempting it as an underground route. Many first timers start out with big ambitious projects (such as an entire subway or metro system) without realising the the work that will be involved, even without grass and other scenery. These projects ALWAYS end up being abandoned. My projects typically take 8 - 12 months of work for what are basically country branchlines of 70-100kms in length (about 500-700 baseboards). Even after years of experience I would still not contemplate tacking an entire metro system.

Q2. You will need to learn a few basics, such as the best way to lay tracks, handling junctions and using the terrain tools - but much of it will be "on the job" learning. This is another reason why starting out with a small project is a far better option.

Q3. A layout (or map) can be as complex, with as many lines, as you like - see Q1 above.

Q4. Trainz does not let you choose where it saves your layouts. They are saved in the default directory (usually in a "userdata" folder) but it depends which version of Trainz you are using.

Which brings up an important point. Please register your version of Trainz so we (the forum) can give you better assistance. Once you register, the version will appear as an icon in your message header.

"(^.^)"

-- Please register your version of Trainz so we (the forum) can give you better assistance.
I already have registered my TRS2006 with "Vangella" (I am Neenee) but I used to have troubles with mail (company stop to exist), functions on Download Station and "tickets" (?). I wasn't sure to remember my login with Vangella account so when I created "Neenee" account (my name), my serial number was considered "taken" with Vangella ; I tried to contact "helpdesk" but no available link...

-- It depends on how much time you want to spend on this project and how many compromises you are prepared to make
I am not very looking about time, I know my project is very huge and I want to make it as well, in detail and taking all my time "(^.^)"
And what kind of compromises (?)

-- creating the Tokyo Subway as a surface only railway (with bridges for lines that cross over/under each other) would be easier that attempting it as an underground route
That is what I want ; to make my map only on surface (for now). May I say, the map could be like "Driver Sessions > Iberia Interior 4 > Main Line". I do not know why but I like this line ; I imagine many scenarios when I play : scheduling routes between stations (Burgo Ranero, Mansilla, Bercianos, Calzada, Sahagun), align wagons on Sahagun S1-S5, departures/arrives etc ; lots of trouble to deal with drivers because a new train is entering on the main line every 7 minutes, so if I take my time, all of a main line side turns to red... lots of fun, I like to see interactions "(^.^)"

-- Many first timers start out with big ambitious projects without realising the work that will be involved, these projects ALWAYS end up being abandoned.
Hai "(- . -)" I think its my case here but reading your message, I was thinking to start with just one line ; the Asakusa Line (Toei Company) but I'm still wondering if my blue grid will fit on the editor grid because you say 1 square = 10 m and I have 20 stations on that line (10 single platforms and 10 junctions). I want to respect natural curves, especially between Mita, Daimon, Shimbashi, Higashi-ginza stations and keeping a normal distance between them (for future lines).... ambitious project you say "(^.^)" gomennasai...

-- you will need to learn a few basics, such as the best way to lay tracks, handling junctions and using the terrain tools
I was sure of it but "using terrain tools", I just want un single line like ehm.. ===O====O=====O====O===O== on the ground
And what to you mean "on the job" (?).. praticing ?

-- they are saved in the default directory (usually in a "userdata" folder) but it depends which version of Trainz you are using.

In my case I do not have "userdata" but only "C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006\local\content 1a2b3c4d5e\" (kind of named yellow folder)
I am using this one : TRS 2006 - Trainz 2.5 (Build 2761) - bottom right of the main window. I do not know if I am outdated but with 56 kos...

Sore ja !

Last edited:
There is a servicepack available for your version, updating from build 2761 to build 3092 (SP1).
http://www.auran.com/TRS2006/
Click on 'Download --> Service Pack'.
The Auran link is broken, but the File Front Mirror seems to be still available.
Please read the installation guide carefully, before patching TRS2006.

Peter

Last edited:
A point regarding the patch - you must reinstall your TRS2006 version then install the patch straight after the reinstall without running TRS2006 first. Failure to do it in that manner will result in the patch failing to install correctly.

Shane

And what kind of compromises (?)

Accuracy is often a compromise we all make when creating a layout. Most compromises are caused by using assets (station buildings, bridges, track appearance, signal types, etc) that do not match reality simply because the "real" assets are not available on the DLS. Others are caused by limitations in the surveyor tools - such as no vertical cliffs and the placement of "digholes" for tunnels.

I'm still wondering if my blue grid will fit on the editor grid because you say 1 square = 10 m and I have 20 stations on that line (10 single platforms and 10 junctions).

Lets assume a distance of 1 km between the stations and using a line that is straight. That means 19 kms of track. With 720m in each baseboard that makes 27 baseboards (rounded up). All you need to do is add another 26 baseboards, one after the other in the same direction plus perhaps another 1 or 2 to give you some scenery room at each end.

Because the line actually changes direction then you would need to determine the baseboards where those direction changes occur and add the new baseboards diagonally (with additional side baseboards to fill in the gaps) and then at 90 degrees to the original direction. It does take some practice and some trial and error to get it looking right.

I was sure of it but "using terrain tools" .... And what to you mean "on the job" (?).. praticing ?

The terrain tools will allow you to lay the track with natural changes in elevation - the track will follow the ground as it goes up and down. And yes, practice, lots and lots of practice. My earliest attempts at creating Trainz layouts, my first projects, were never released onto the DLS - and I am sure that many DLS users would be very thankful for that. It took me a few years before I thought that my efforts were good enough to be uploaded onto the DLS. I would hope that my latest efforts are a considerable improvement on my first DLS routes.

Peter Ware

@p-dehnert
I am on it... 638 mo. Tomorrow I have to go at my orthodontist and I will download from there (wifi hotspot) "(^.^)". I am with 56 kos here...

@shaneturner12
Lot of points to follow, I hope everything will be fine ; I will pray gon-san for that

@pware

Soka... This morning I "tried" to understand some very basic tools (as you told me) but in despite to be very hard and long to learn (to lay a track, space between tracks, way-Y, counting squares, straighten track function etc), I have some fun to do it ; there is lot of things to observe, to erase, to do over and over again until we made something good... I respect people making layouts !

So testing many things, I tried to imagine my Asakusa Line between Nishi-magome and Mita stations by using only a straight and double line (1 track wood damps x 2)...

O - Nishi-magome
O - Magome
O - Nakanobu
O - Togoshi
O - Gotenga
O - Takanawadai
O - Sengakuji
O - Mita

... but having only 72 squares (720 m), looks like very short between stations "(- . -)" especially using HO Scale gauge. So if you remember my "blue grid" plan, can you tell me if I can scale as 1 blue sq = 10 yellow sq ? For exemple, between Nishi-magome and Magome I have 3 blue sq on my plan, so I could need 30 yellow sq on editor. I say "x10 yellow sq" because many of other stations are very distant (Mita -> Daimon) where I am counting 10 blue sq so I will have to count 100 yellow sq to looks like "real" (and scaled) ! Of course, this "x10" could be changed in x15 or x20 but I will have to deal with the same "ratio" between all other stations...

-- you need to add another 26 baseboards
Can you tell me where I have to click to add another "plywood" ?

Edit : Regarding my question, I have found(ed) : Topology > Advanced > Extend > Left click (out of a existing plywood (North, East, South, West)) "(^.^)"

Last edited:
... but having only 72 squares (720 m), looks like very short between stations "(- . -)" especially using HO Scale gauge. So if you remember my "blue grid" plan, can you tell me if I can scale as 1 blue sq = 10 yellow sq ?

I have never used HO scale, I always use real scale. So 1km on the map (Google Earth or Google Maps) becomes 1km on the Trainz layout - that's 1 baseboard or "plywood" plus another 280m on the next baseboard. This makes things so much easier.

Okaeri "(^.^)"

@pdehnert
Thank you very much about this, as you say, very useful ! I have downloaded all pdf files (just in case).

@pware
1. As you, I switched to "real scale" and I like it, distance looks very natural... arigatou "(^.^)"

2. Some questions here :

-- Can you tell me the "name" of these (those) objects here : pylons, cables coming from Iberia Main Line ?
http://www.internet-underground.org/public/trainz2006/cabled-pylon.jpg
Maybe I need SP1 to update any things, tools, other new stuffs (?) I can not find them in the "building" list
My download will be for tomorrow...

-- About Asakusa map, I need your experience (or anybody else). I found a "table" with distances between the 20 stations :
http://www.internet-underground.org/public/trainz2006/km-line.jpg

I also find "a real map" of Asakusa Line (the real one with curves) :
http://www.internet-underground.org/public/trainz2006/real-map.jpg
Of course it looks like very natural but is it hard to make curves, real distance (SW-NE), etc ?
If so, I think I will have to make my map as ___/

Mata !

This looks like it will be a great route to drive. Remember to take your time and don't let the project get the better of you! My own route is about 200 miles (322km) long and I've been working on it off and on for over 10 years.

Now with the registration thing...

Contact the helpdesk and get your accounts merged together. They will do this so that all your previous and current Trainz versions appear as registered.

John

@JCitron
Hai, nice route, as other routes on Tokyo Line, Toei Line and JRC (Japan Railway Company).
I am trying "Toei ~ Asakusa Line" (the pink route) ... Nishi-Magome -> Oshiage

I am taking my time and I progress with the editor, but I am still wondering where I can find electric pylones (as you can see on JRC picture) and some other objects. When I lived in Japan (near Shimbashi (Minato) and going to the college (Shinjuku)), I saw full of electric cables, electric distributors, lot of signalisations on the way (huge traffic every 1-3 minutes) and everything was in metal framed around outside tracks (routes). If may I say, if I want to make something of real (not totally but looking like) I would like to use a maximum of looks like items (or addons) if there are any around. For a pure exemple, excluding backgrounds, Iberia Main Line (in the driver session) looks like very real and well for my project, that is why I refer always this route when I explain something "(^.^)"

My second point, (I know I am not a professional here) but is it hard to make curves for natural routes ? I mean, having no scale on my map (even if I am using Google map, I have to wait a lot of time in 56 kos), I just don't know "where" i can start to curve and degree of the curves neither "(^.^)" -- So is there any home/professional program around I could use to convert a real map to fit on the yellow squares on the editor ?

About registration, I would like to use my name (Neenee) and my actual email adress so I already tried to contact helpdesk but nothing (dead links); and for info, I am not retarded but I just using TRS2006 for now "(^.^)" gomen

@JCitron
Hai, nice route, as other routes on Tokyo Line, Toei Line and JRC (Japan Railway Company).
I am trying "Toei ~ Asakusa Line" (the pink route) ... Nishi-Magome -> Oshiage

I am taking my time and I progress with the editor, but I am still wondering where I can find electric pylones (as you can see on JRC picture) and some other objects. When I lived in Japan (near Shimbashi (Minato) and going to the college (Shinjuku)), I saw full of electric cables, electric distributors, lot of signalisations on the way (huge traffic every 1-3 minutes) and everything was in metal framed around outside tracks (routes). If may I say, if I want to make something of real (not totally but looking like) I would like to use a maximum of looks like items (or addons) if there are any around. For a pure exemple, excluding backgrounds, Iberia Main Line (in the driver session) looks like very real and well for my project, that is why I refer always this route when I explain something "(^.^)"

My second point, (I know I am not a professional here) but is it hard to make curves for natural routes ? I mean, having no scale on my map (even if I am using Google map, I have to wait a lot of time in 56 kos), I just don't know "where" i can start to curve and degree of the curves neither "(^.^)" -- So is there any home/professional program around I could use to convert a real map to fit on the yellow squares on the editor ?

About registration, I would like to use my name (Neenee) and my actual email adress so I already tried to contact helpdesk but nothing (dead links); and for info, I am not retarded but I just using TRS2006 for now "(^.^)" gomen

If you are interested, take a look at TransDEM. This will give you real terrain and allow you to import Google Images, Google KMZ (route lines/paths), as well as give you the proper terrain.

Regarding the pylons.... Take a look at the pylons by Wedge_Antilles. He has made some Russian pylons which are very similar. There are also, I think Japanese pylons available, but for TRS2010. If you are using TS12, you could use those, however, they are not supported in TRS2006.

For registration, don't use the inactive email address. That was taken down a few years ago due to too much spam. Instead use the link provided at the top of the forums. This will give you a form to fill out and you can then put in the information you need.

John

I checked out TransDem... sugoi ! If that program makes what I want (vectorial georeferenced orthophoto) and especially Map Tile, of course I want it ! arigatou "(^.^)"
I also saw you are using the program (on the transdem forum) but wich version I have to use with TRS2006 (?)

When I will resolved the problem regarding my Vangella - Neenee account and my 2761 -> 3092 updata, I will see on Download Station what we have there as pylons.
Still bugging with DS app (in the game) ; maybe its caused with my 56 kos..

Regarding my account, I took a ticket... hope everything's going to be fine this time...

Last edited:
I checked out TransDem... sugoi ! If that program makes what I want (vectorial georeferenced orthophoto) and especially Map Tile, of course I want it ! arigatou "(^.^)"
I also saw you are using the program (on the transdem forum) but wich version I have to use with TRS2006 (?)

When I will resolved the problem regarding my Vangella - Neenee account and my 2761 -> 3092 updata, I will see on Download Station what we have there as pylons.
Still bugging with DS app (in the game) ; maybe its caused with my 56 kos..

Regarding my account, I took a ticket... hope everything's going to be fine this time...

Isn't that program awesome! :D In the USA, we have a national map server which has the whole country and also most historic topographic maps available so we can import the older maps, all geo-referenced and ready to put on the terrain. There's nothing like recreating old rail routes that have been long abandoned and sadly ripped up.

TransDEM should work with TRS2006. There are setting for route creation that will support TRS2004 an up.

Good luck with your helpdesk ticket.

John

Back