Another clown uploading hundreds of cryptic content in one hit...

I rest my case.

Lennard
Anyone who contributes a complicated catenary system to the DLS should be congratulated. So it takes many parts, just means more variety and be more complete.

I don't think calling the contributor a "clown" will encourage further contributions. Had a look at some of the "cryptic" asset names. They looked more like a logical hierarchy naming convention.

The majority of users will probably just download a route that has these installed so the large number doesn't really matter.

A few more content creators never go amiss, we should try to encourage them.

Cheerio John

Anyone who contributes a complicated catenary system to the DLS should be congratulated. So it takes many parts, just means more variety and be more complete.

I don't think calling the contributor a "clown" will encourage further contributions. Had a look at some of the "cryptic" asset names. They looked more like a logical hierarchy naming convention.

+1 As someone with at least a passing interest in the Russian scene, it's not inconceivable at some point I might contemplate a route and be looking for these assets. Can I respectfully suggest the moderators act to remove all derogatory references to the content creator from this thread, including the title.

Some of us still use the "black pages" to download assets fia FTP (and please don't waste everyone's time telling me I should be using this or that alternative; I've gone through my reasons for this enough times and I'm not the only one). The "black pages" have an arbitrary limit of 1000 items per retrieval. After returning from a 2-week trip I had to spend several hours on catching up with downloading assets because the huge block of catenary assets made it neccesary to do individual searches by each and every category to find what I'd missed (and even then the "track" category was unusable because so many of these assets fell into this category). At the very least N3V could find a way to remove this limit (or at least raise it to 2000 or 3000) to make these pages more usable.

--Lamont

... After returning ... spend several hours on catching up with downloading assets because the huge block of catenary assets made it neccesary to do individual searches by each and every category to find what I'd missed (and even then the "track" category was unusable because so many of these assets fell into this category). At the very least N3V could find a way to remove this limit (or at least raise it to 2000 or 3000) to make these pages more usable.

--Lamont
Well if you want to download everything no matter what, that's your call. Just because a contributor uploads a detailed catenary system that makes you work a bit more, that's hardly a reason to degrade DLS performance by removing the search limit.

Well if you want to download everything no matter what, that's your call. Just because a contributor uploads a detailed catenary system that makes you work a bit more, that's hardly a reason to degrade DLS performance by removing the search limit.

Who says wanting to d/load everything? I am doing similar, accessing the black DLS pages to see and find out what is new to d/load via FTP. Then I see that most of the 1000 item limit on that page is taken up by just one contributor to the DLS. That particular contributor person might be a "good content creator" but for the life of me, I can not understand why a catenary system, however complex, needs so many different parts. Checking different categories defeats the purpose of my looking at newly created content, I just want to see what has been uploaded as new content in the last few days.

I do a little content creating myself, hence I know the simple rule of content creating is to SIMPLIFY creating content, not to make this an overkill with so many different parts. Can someone enlighten me, possible the said content creator, WHY it is necessary to create so many different parts just for a catenary system.

I d/loaded different catenary systems in the past, particularly one created by OpAmp, a German content creator, who did an excellent job creating his elaborate system with far less parts needed, simply by sticking to the rule of creating content simple.

To me it seems, some content creators create many unnecessary parts so the count of one's creations goes up into high numbers, probably some sort of "badge of honor" for these who might do that on purpose.

My opinion.

Lennard

Use the new DLS pages, link at top of forum, there is no limit............. yet.

Yeah, right! I just logged into these white DLS pages, that stupid first page can not even find any of my created TS12 content on the DLS. I can see my created TS09 content on the DLS but none of the, as said, TS10 or TS12 content I created.

Yet, the black DLS pages can display all of my created content on the DLS. Go figure.

Lennard

I just logged into these white DLS pages, that stupid first page can not even find any of my created TS12 content on the DLS. I can see my created TS09 content on the DLS but none of the, as said, TS10 or TS12 content I created.

I have exactly the same complaint. Some of my TS12 content is missing while others are present. Obviously some fine tuning of the white pages is still needed.

It seems to me that long ago these items could be bundled into one library, maybe this went out the users local folders stopped using the name of the item.

Rob

Weird!
@Lendorf, CM says you have 55 items, no idea if that's correct however I can only find 14 of yours on the white pages yet I can find all 1241 of mine.

I only use Content Manager so haven't really tested either Web based DLS version other than occasionally looking up something if I'm not on the Trainz PC. I concur that it in light of current findings it doesn't exactly look very reliable.
Probably warrants a helpdesk ticket for those who can't find thier own stuff as something ain't working!

I am normally only using the black DLS pages, so this does not really bother me. But as you say, there is something amiss between the black and the white DLS pages. If these are set up the same way, should they not display the same content?

As others beside me report here, there is indeed something wrong with the white DLS pages.

Edit* I just checked the black pages DLS and there are several of my TS12 created items missing. I can only find 37 items, AFAIK there should be over 50 of my created items there. Plus 21 other items I uploaded 24 hours ago which might appear in a few hours. Weird?!?!

2nd Edit* Now the black pages display my created content correctly as 72 items created, the white DLS pages on the other hand only show 35 of my 72 created items. In case someone asks, YES, all boxes right down to Pre SP3 where clicked (just in case) on either page.

Lennard

Last edited:
I guess I don't make enough or only make findable objects because both the black DLS and white DLS pages return the same number of my objects.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone would invent some sort of electro-mechanical computing device that could sort and file ...

What we have here is an organizational problem. why isn't there some way to wrap sets of assets?
Particularly when they don't work unless you have all of them?

We Need A Librarian!

"Is there a Librarian in the house!?!"

What we have here is an organizational problem. why isn't there some way to wrap sets of assets?

Yes we do. When you upload a set of assets you can bundle them all together into a single .cdp file. Unfortunately, the system separates them back into their individual .cdp files for the DLS. But I do seem to recall that an earlier version of the DLS allowed you to download an entire package containing many assets.

While keeping all the uploaded and related assets together as a single .cdp file on the DLS would have obvious advantages, it does have some downsides. Among them would be the need to download all the bundled assets when you may need only one or two of them and the larger size of that download and the resulting bandwidth and connection time issues.

Hear, hear!

Very good point. But still, we were originally talking about a cat system where you'll want and need all the stuff. these typically run to the hundreds of items; just getting these out of the way would help.

Actually, the organizational problem might best be addressed on the client side, but the client (CMP) would have to be able to see dependencies of assets not yet downloaded...

Hmm... Can the kuid table be attached to the description so "asset details" would show ...
whoops, just hung a left and wound up at missing dependencies...

Oh. yes. ...then CMP could show only parent assets unless you specifically tell it you're searching for parts. I would do this myself with search filters. but enginespecs and bogeys seem to be "train vehicles"...

Last edited:
Back